Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:wave:
Tomorrow will be two weeks and I’m also returning to work
Boy, that is early...
will definitely ease into it because this recovery has been more difficult. I’m not nearly as far along in terms of pain and mobility.
Hope your work isnt too labor intensive and you have possibilities for arrangements to ice and elevate.
Certainly wish you could give yourself more time.
I went back to work early...not that early but I did my hips simultaneously, however that energy drain can be wicked.
Thanks for the update...please be willing to reassess your return if it proves detrimental to your recovery.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wow, you are really returning to work so early. I was an admin person and couldn't have imagined going to work at two weeks. For starters they probably would have had issues with me sleeping all the time! :sleep::zzz::sleeep:

I realize everyone doesn't always have the option to stay out longer, please take it slowly. Also agree that making arrangements to ice and elevate while at work would be really helpful. Keep us posted.

FCBayern

graduate
Country
Going back to work at 2 weeks, yikes! :dubious: I hope you will be able to ice during the day, that would surely be a help since you are going back so soon.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hope you're doing okay since your return to work.
Two weeks post op from your latest surgery is pretty ambitious. I can't imagine that you're not wiped out by day's end.

Wishing you a Happy Four Month Anniversary...Righty!

Please leave an update when you have time and let us know how you're doing and how the return to work is going.
Have a great weekend!
@zebra716

OP
OP
Z

zebra716

Country
Thanks for the four month reminder, I actually hadn’t thought of that! As far as my recent THR is concerned, it’s still considerably behind my first recovery. I realize that no two surgeries are the same, but mentally I expected to be somewhat closer to the first one. I’m still experiencing occasional pains shooting through the groin area. The glute pain has gratefully lessened quite a bit. I’m still using a crutch, but I am able get around pretty well.

I had my staples removed on Tuesday and being able to shower throughly and not be overly concerned with the dressing was nice. The only thing about this surgery better than the first is my new scar which looks WAY better.

Work was tiring but not overwhelming. Being self-employed has advantages and disadvantages. I really needed to be there, but I was able to control what I actually did. I’m hopeful that a very lazy weekend will do wonders. I plan on lying on the coach and watching football, or as my wife says just a typical weekend:)

OP
OP
Z

zebra716

Country
I had my second THR just under 2 months ago. Although this recovery was slower than my first, both hips are much better than before surgery.

I do have a question/concern to share with the board. Has anyone else suffered from sharp, burning pain at the incision area? It’s only occasional and usually occurs after sitting for a bit, but the pain is extreme. It feels like a knife directly under scar, which looks normal and not infected in the least. My surgeon was relatively unconcerned and stressed that I use a tennis ball or rolling pin to “knead” the area. He says this is scar tissue that will eventually heal, but the tennis ball isn’t doing much. I’d welcome any suggestions. I think I’d be almost home free if not for this pain (which didn’t happen at all after first surgery).

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello!
Congrats on your newest hip. I recall different sensations in and around my incision area. Zings, zaps, warmth, quick shooting pains....most always fleeting. I wouldn't describe mine as extreme though. Possibly others will stop by who can relate.

If you're no longer icing, consider doing so on a regular basis for a while longer. Especially when you're experiencing one of these episodes you've described. As long as you brought it to your surgeon's attention and he's not concerned. I wouldn't worry. Be aware of the signs of infection below.
Some common signs of infection are:
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Please read the Recovery Guidelines as some may still apply.
Stay in touch and enjoy the rest of the week!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Has anyone else suffered from sharp, burning pain at the incision area? It’s only occasional and usually occurs after sitting for a bit, but the pain is extreme.
I have been having the pain you describe for the last few days on and off. I have had different surgeries in the past, and to me it feels like I am breaking up the scar tissue as I move better, especially when sitting or getting out of bed.

It is a very sharp pain and sometimes in more than one place, along the incision line, but it does not last long and everything is healing normally. I no longer have a thick feeling under the incision (still some swelling). I have a northern approach incision. No numbness.

I know from surgeries in my past, the “zingers” from scar tissue breaking up, over time, can get very occasional and can still surprise me here and there a year later. Eventually they are no more.:egypdance:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @zebra716
Nice to hear you are mostly double hippy good.:dancy:
I had this searing pain fairly early on, it dissipated, but popped in from time to time up through my 5 or 6 month mark.
My memory is getting vague on timelines...thankfully.
Very disconcerting, though, I Do remember.
I am of the belief it is nerves not scar tissue that was the culprit.
Nerves next to scars..maybe but I never found massage to be helpful and at times, irritating.
My modus operandi has always been, after it goes away...hopefully it will not come back.
Eventually... it didn't. I hope yours leaves for good soon.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@zebra716
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you.

Don't worry that we won't see your questions as, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

Debru4

graduate
Country
I definitely had some similar pains and was very concerned. They were excruciating---easily an 8+ on the pain scale, and when they came on, always unexpectedly, I could hardly bear the pain. But they would pass quickly, and while I might have a couple in a day, typically it would be a few days before I had another.

The forum nurse at the time, Josephine, said most likely they were nerve pain, not scar tissue as I'd speculated after dealing with scar tissue following a previous back surgery. She had said that if they continued I should check with my doctor. They are pretty shocking.....I hope yours fade away, just as mine did.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @zebra716
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Anniversary, it's Lefty's Two Month Anniversary. Also wondering how you're doing and if you're still experiencing the pain you mentioned last week? Hopefully it's eased, or disappeared entirely. Stay in touch and have a great week!

OP
OP
Z

zebra716

Country
Much better thanks! I also read somewhere that nerve pain could be the problem. The last 4 or 5 days I haven’t felt any sharp pains at all (knock on wood).

I’m hoping I can start some higher level exercising soon. I think that’s when I’ll truly feel like I’m on the road to recovery. I’m anxious to see how my hips respond. Quite frankly I’ve been guarded, but my surgeon said it would be fine within reason. Just really happy the searing pain is gone.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Hopefully you continue to do well noticing more progress.
Wondering if you’ve ramped up the exercise as you intended and how it’s working out for you? Let us know if you have time. Hope to hear from you. :wave:
Stay safe and well!
@zebra716

OP
OP
Z

zebra716

Country
Thanks for the reply! I really haven’t increased my exercise the way I hoped. I tried a short jog that didn’t go well, I felt a dull pain deep in the hip pocket. I also tried a stationary bike which was a little better but still not what I was hoping for. I’m on my feet a lot at work and walk quite a bit there so I’m staying active. I hope the pain will lessen and I’ll be able to run again.

On a good note, my incision feels great, no issues for quite a while. And my right hip feels terrific so I’m optimistic that my left one feels that good in 3 months.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi again, I hope you’re having a nice weekend. Thanks for the update.

Maybe since you’re doing a lot of walking while at work, it’s enough for right now. When you consider you experienced two major surgeries, within a little over three months time, and it’s not even seven months since the first since, it seems you’re doing pretty well. It can take a full year, even longer for some, so you have room for improvement.
I’ll bet given more time your left hip will feel as good as your right.
Take care, be safe and stay well!
@zebra716

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you’ve had a good month since we last heard from you and continue to enjoy progress. Please feel free to leave updates at any time. We love following your journey.
Be safe and stay well!
@zebra716

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks