TKR Sewhat's 2nd Recovery thread LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

sewhat

Country
United States United States
I'm going to get this set up for when I'm all loopy and can't remember how to do it. I'm ready to go except for taking my handful of Parkie Pills in a few minutes. Hubby had to bury a kitten already this morning. It was dead on the steps. I hope that's not a bad omen. lol

I wasn't up for as long during the night, only an hour or so. I played a solitaire tournament. I think I got 79th place. lol

My face feels like a mask with no moisturizer on it and my throat is so dry the pills will probably get stuck. I'll take them and get going. See you all later.

I've been thinking about you today. Soon you will be posting about your recovery! How wonderful it will be for you to have a brand new left knee. :flwrysmile:

Thinking of you and let us know how you are doing when you are up to it! :prayer:

I made it! When I got heree they took me right back. I changed, talked to nurse, anesthesiologist and doctor. They wheeled ?e to sugery, gave a spinal, and that's all I remember. When I. Awoke I wasn' groggy at all. I chatted with the nurse while we waited for my blood pressure to rise. Then i was taken to my room. Hubby and daughter were already there. I was not at all loopy.. They were disappointed. .i got a liquid lunch. No vomiting because they put a patch behind my ear.

I've been doing ankle pumps .. My legs are still asleep. When they stood me up to use the bedside cummode, i didn't even know i was peeing. Had to change the bed, my ace bandage, my undies and. Mop up the floor . mylegs are likse noodles .

Ihd supper sitting in the recliner. Hubby has gone home.. There's another bed in room for my daughte.

It's 5:30 a.m. I haven't slept mucb. The one time i was sleeping well, someone dropped something in the hall. I am waiting to get the drain out.

They wake you up at 5: 30 here. I guess that's what the nurse is doing. She said she was coming back.

Welcome to recovery @sewhat .

Here's the post-op reading we give to everyone:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Drain is out, I'm bathed dressed had breakfast and *'m sitting in recliner waiting for therapy..I am doing much better this time.
I'm more alert and able to do more. My daughter is pushing to go home today.. We will see how therapy goes.

I am so glad to see your posts this morning! :wave:I would have responded earlier, but only just got to bonesmart this minute. How cool that you only had a spinal! I was hoping for that too, but my surgeon prefers a general so I agreed (hey, whatever he wants! LOL). I guess maybe the problem using the portable commode might have been due to the spinal not having worn off yet. But there are many advantages to a spinal too. I must admit that when I awakened from the general anesthesia, my first words to the anesthetist were, "you got me through this and I am back, now! Thank you SO MUCH!" because I had been so afraid of it. I guess there was no reason for that fear.

I felt like sleeping in the hospital was nearly impossible. I know they just want to check on everyone and make sure we are OK, but it makes it kind of hard for light sleepers to get any sleep. The best thing about returning home was being able to catch up on my sleep.

So glad you are alert and doing better! :yes!:I'll be cheering you on as you go through your first PT session. Thanks for posting! Before long you will be home and that is pretty terrific.

Last edited:
Back from PT.. My flex was 100 an extension was 4. I know that will change. All the pre hab helped.

Back from PT.. My flex was 100 an extension was 4. I know that will change. All the pre hab helped.
Oh my gosh!!! That is AMAZING. Congratulations on such great range of motion. Mine was just 69 after 6 days (my last PT session, having another this afternoon).

Things moving right along for you! How long did the spinal last? I think they are planning one for me but I am going home the same day so wondering how long it will last?
You have great movement so far! Keep us posted!!

Congratulations on the new knee. :flwrysmile: You're off to a good start.

We ate together, in therapy room, ten had therapy. .one hip patient was so funny shd everyone laughing. .

The back of my knee is hurting today.. I've been icing it. The drain has been leaking and I had toget a new drain dressimg.in PT.

After PT there was.a parade of people in the room. For one reason or another. My OS came in and he wants me to stay another night. That's fine with me. The nerve block worn off and I want my pain controlled before I go home.

i forgot to mention in my last post that the director of PT MEASURED me at afternoon therapy. It was 111/0 .

When the doctor took off ace bandage there were no staples this time. Its glued with waterproof tape over it. He says I can shower with it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the other side. I never remember waking up in post op. I'm always in my room by the time my brain starts recording again. Even with the epidural/sedation combo.

I hope your ROM stays good, but don't freak if it doesn't. There will be swelling. I always swell hugely, everyone is different.

I hope your ROM stays good, but don't freak if it doesn't. There will be swelling
I agree. That’s an awesome ROM for right out of surgery, but once you’re home and moving around more there’s a good chance there will be swelling.

I don't know how long the spinal lasted. I didn't feel groggy. Afterwards at all. I liked it.

Tonight the nurse came by to put extra strength tylenol in my iv. I no longer have the full iv. They put it in with a syringe..when she srarted the saline flush it burned. She stopped snd changed it to the Tylenol. That burned too.she slowed it down and it just throbbed. Sh changed it back to sslinend waited fgorvthe pain to suside and then gave it alittle push.. My daughter and I went to bed. My hand kept throbbing. I sat up and looked at it. It was swollen and skin was very tight. I called the nurse and she went and gor a bandaid. She took out the iv and its still swollen and painful 2 hours later.

My nerve block still hasn't w orn off completely. My calf feeis like ablock of wood when I touch it.

Now I wish I had gone home today.

It sounds like your iv was out of position. I had that happen in the hospital earlier this year. Your nurse was an idiot not to notice.
I hope your journey home is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back