THR Severe pain after 15 months<

I just don't understand why I feel like I am walking on steel posts
Dickie, I'm not really clear by what you mean about walking on steel posts. Can you expand on this for me?

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Joshephine, I can literally feel when I am weight bearing I think are the femoral implants, well that is what I feel like. It feels like someone has shoved a steel post inside both thighs. However, I have increased the Lyrica dose to 50mg morning and 75mg at night and it is helping the pain and aching a lot. I didn't wake up with severe aching at 4 am this morning, like I have been and I am walking/weight bearing with less pain. There is also a lot of stiffness in both thighs, but I know that can persist for a long time. It is like that post-exercise stiffness that never goes away. On my left (newly operated side), it really hurts when I lift my leg, getting in and out of a car is difficult too. I have nerve damage down the side of my left thigh, I believe it is common with an anterior procedure. I am not bothered by that, as it should improve in time.
You can readily ask me questions, I am open to anything.

Last edited:
@Dickie 1---sure hope you get some answers, as what you are describing sounds miserable. :bawl:Remind me again what your doctor said the last time you talked with them about this sensation?

I can have some miserable days, Debru4. The Surgeon felt my recovery was going along okay, he didn't mention any reaction to the steel posts shoved up my thigh.
On a good note, the increased dose of Lyrica to 75mg twice daily now, seems to have backed off the pain quite a lot. I am able to cut out one dose of Nurofen. I have stopped the Targen 10mg.
I have just come back from a funeral, I wasn't lucky enough to score a seat, so had to stand. To stand on my legs for over an hour was a killer, I'm very stiff and sore now. I have the sensation of steel posts again.
I'm back to the acupuncturist tomorrow. However, a better day with the Lyrica. It is a drug I hate because of the cognitive affects on me. I managed to walk down out drive (300 metres each way) to wheel in the rubbish bin back to the house. I haven't done that for a few months.

It must be hard to sort everything out since you've had so many different things going on the past 3 years. Is your Lyrica for general nerve pain or fibromyalgia? How do you even know what pain is from your replacements, and what is from your back or nerves? It sounds very complicated, but I imagine you just have to take one thing at a time and try to figure it out.

I hope you are finding ways to include some times/things in your life that bring you some joy, whether it's reading, a bubble bath,talking to a friend, watching a movie, or just sitting outside in the sun. If I were in your situation, with all of the stress you have in your life, I know I would be depressed. You seem like you are trying to hard to stay positive and figure things out. Sending positive thoughts your way.:flwrysmile:

Happy Tuesday :wave:
Your description of the sensation you're feeling sounds miserable. You have my sympathy.

So sorry you had to struggle through an hour of standing as you were trying to support others at a funeral service.

Hopefully the stiffness and discomfort has eased with sleep overnight. I'll look forward to Jo's response on what could be causing you to feel so keenly aware of your prosthetics within. I hope your session with the acupuncturist today relaxes you and brings you some relief.
Wishing you a good one!
@Dickie 1

Last edited:
I can tell what is back pain if it is niggling and what is related to the hip/thigh, it has distinct areas.
When I say I feel like I'm walking on 2 steel posts, that is what I feel like, don't know if it is that, but that is how I describe it. The Lyrica is for the thigh pain, possibly nerve pain, as my Fibromyalgia is kept under control with magnesium. The acupuncture has helped a little, as the deep aching hasn't been waking me up at night and my thigh isn't as warm to touch. I have a forth session next week before we go on a holiday to Vietnam x 10 days.
Yesterday, my husband wanted to go to a caravan show (RV show). Caravans in Australia are 3 times the price of the US, I can assure you. It was an outing though. I used my crutch to walk, we only covered a small area of the show, as I couldn't walk the whole show, we saw what we needed to see. But walking back to the carpark was a slight uphill slope. I was struggling though with the uphill slope. Last night I ached and ached, this morning I am stiff and sore more than usual. You would think at nearly 3 months, I could walk some distance without repercussions? I was very careful and sat down for a breaks during the caravan show. However, I haven't got the 'walking on steel posts' sensation today.
I appreciate the feedback.

:hi:
You would think at nearly 3 months, I could walk some distance without repercussions?
Honestly, not necessarily. Many have had slower recoveries and it takes a while for things to get good. Don't fixate on those stupid miracle stories. It certainly still affected me at 3 months especially with inclines...and declines for that matter.

However, I haven't got the 'walking on steel posts' sensation today.
Wonderful...that's positive news!
Our uncertainty can magnify sensations that may very well pass.
Please keep the faith....
We are all rooting for you!:friends:

I am wondering also, if since you have fibromyalgia, your sensations of discomfort and pain are exacerbated in general? Perhaps that is why you are feeling sensations differently?

It sounds like things are getting a bit better overall, which is great! Maybe going on vacation and taking a break will help as well. :flwrysmile:

Debru, no the Fibromyaglia makes surgery more painful, so post-op pain is higher and requires higher levels of analgesia then, but I don't think that the Fibro is causing issues at the moment, but I could be wrong. Research has recently discovered that people with Fibromyalgia have more nerve pathways and pain receptors than normal people, see I wasn't making it up.

Mojo, thank you for the information that recovery can be slower, it is in my case. Nice to have that confirmed.
I am not fixating on miracle stories, however, I am sick of people offering advice when they have no idea regarding joint replacement (present company excluded because you guys have) or offer up some story about their 80 yo Aunt who was pain free at 4 days. Even a Nurse saying to me, that at 4 weeks I shouldn't be requiring Targin. I turned and said "Have you had a joint replacement?" which the answer was "No", so I said please don't offer me advice.
I'll just plug away and continue to attend Hydro x 2 a week, as that is helping to build up my muscles.
I appreciate the support.

Three big surgeries in the course of a few years is alot and I'm sure you are ready to be "fixed" already.
I would imagine if after the first one had to be redone, this one would have me on high alert.
And with the added complication of dealing with fibromyalgia..:oyvey:
You will keep seeing improvement as long as you keep things slow and steady.
Balance big do alot days with easy does it days..and ice was still my friend at 3 months.:ice:
Hope today is a better day.:SUNsmile:

Based on your comment about having more nerve pathways and pain receptors, I wouldn't be surprised if at 3 months out of surgery, you are feeling pretty significant pain. Even many without such a challenging diagnosis as fibromyalgia often are in a lot of pain at this point.

That doesn't reduce the pain of course, but it may help you understand why you are feeling so rough. I think when we are ill/in pain, our friends and family are so eager for us to feel better. And once the surgery takes place, they kind of check it off their lists----"Ok, that's over, now they'll be back to their old selves." Unless they have had a similar surgery, they just can't imagine why it may take so long. And yes, there ARE people who recover quickly from hip replacement---lucky people. That might not be the case the next time they have something done, but it's like those fishing tales----it grows over time;)

I have to be honest and say that I now feel really guilty for not being more understanding of my dad, who had both knees replaced at age 84. I was so excited that he finally had them done, and after a month of rehab, when he came home, I wish I had done more for him. He was always pretty stoic, and I helped whenever he asked, but I wish I had offered more.

Hang in there----as you already are finding, gradually, it does get better.:console2:

:hi:
Just wondering how you have been doing?
Hopefully all is well and you are seeing improvement.
:yes:

Hello to everyone, we went to Vietnam for 10 days and recently returned. It was a mixed bag of enjoyment and pain. I had a 9 hour international flight, then a 1.5 hour domestic flight. The flight in cattle class was okay, but the walking at the airport took a toll. I took the offer of a wheelchair in the end, as standing in a queue for over an hour to get through immigration, was sheer chaos. Ho Chin Minh airport is chaos and no real clear signage. Had I not accepted a wheelchair in the domestic terminal I doubt we would of made the domestic flight, but we did. The first 5 nights I hardly slept with a 24/7 severe burning pain in both thighs (that was new). Nothing would give me any respite from it. After 5 days the burning pain decreased and I managed some sleep. The resort staff were wonderful. I was taking my medications regularly, rested when I could. The resort managed my gluten free diet really well.
Despite my Daughter saying I would never do Marble Mountain, that was a red rag to a bull, but I took the lift option that goes half way up, but walked the 100's of stairs and uneven surfaces. Never tell me I can't.
We would have a sight seeing day and then a rest day at the resort. The return flight home, the wheelchair was ordered, but never came. The Vietnamese people are very respective of someone on a crutch.
We have been home a few days now, the burning pain has totally subsided, but replaced with the usual pain and limitations it has given me. I'm back to the pool twice a week, but can't stand for long, supermarket shopping can be a challenge. I have a review by the Surgeon in a couple of weeks. I am beginning to believe that this is going to be my life now. That my body hates the implants and my stove-pipe femurs are unhappy.
I hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi @Dickie 1
I don't know how you can know what is going to be normal with your new prosthesis as you could certainly be still aggravating this with over activity in my opinion.
Despite my Daughter saying I would never do Marble Mountain, that was a red rag to a bull, but I took the lift option that goes half way up, but walked the 100's of stairs and uneven surfaces. Never tell me I can't.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
I get that we did this so we can get back to life as we want it to be, but you know we care and I worry.
I have a review by the Surgeon in a couple of weeks.
Hope all goes good for stable prostheses...
Tendinitis and other related issues can take months to overcome.
Hopefully you can give yourself a rest now that you are home.

Hi @Dickie 1
Whew! That's quite a lot of activity for only a little over three months post op.
Your body has been through so much, three major surgeries in less than three years. Surgery upon recovery, surgery upon recovery.

Flights totaling 10.5 hrs, schlepping through airports, lack of sleep for 5 days due to burning pain, then meeting your daughters challenge of navigating hundreds of steps is quite ambitious considering all your body has been through. I also worry you're pushing it and may end up with chronic pain as a result of all the activity too soon after your most recent surgery.

I guess I'm finding it difficult to understand why you would engage in all of this activity so early into recovery when you mentioned you have difficulty shopping at the supermarket and standing in line. Do you think the "usual pain and limitations" could be a result of "doing" too much, too soon? I don't think it's your "stove-pipe femurs" that are unhappy but your poor soft tissues, tendons, muscles etc that have been cut, pulled and stretched unnaturally and not allowed the proper time to heal. Please consider allowing your body the time it needs to recover. Balancing rest / sleep with activity. I don't believe your body "hates the implants" either. Your body is trying to integrate the implants but will need some assistance from you in the form of personal TLC.

This doesn't have to be your life now, as you mentioned. I believe you can turn this around if you give your body the proper amount of time it needs to heal. Please reflect on the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I'm sorry for your pain and struggles. I wish you were in a better place. I don't want to see you develop a chronic condition. I believe you can turn this around. Please give this all some careful consideration and know that we're here for you, we care and want you to achieve the best possible result after all you've endured.

Wishing you comfort, healing and a peaceful day.

The holiday had been booked for over 12 months, wanting to know what was happening with my hips. If we didn't use it, we would of lost the money. We balance the activity with rest days. Marble mountain, is such a beautiful place, we were unlikely to go to Hoi An ever again. I did Marble Mountain during the 5 days of little sleep, it did not cause the burning pain, it was already there. I took my time, doing the steps. I guess from my narrative it sounded like I was going flat out, but I wasn't, I can't afford to have a fall while in a Asian country, as the medical care isn't good. Marble Mountain has a lift, I used that option, I am not stupid. Our guide would wait for me as he guided me up and down the steps. We had 2 days of total rest once we were at the resort before we went sight seeing. I cannot help it if HCM airport was chaotic, we still had to line up for immigration.
I'm fed up being so restricted, nothing is improving. I've balanced all the rest/activity well at home and haven't seen any improvement. That's why I figure I'll never be any better.
Layla, I agree with you, its the soft tissue inflammation that is problematic. I can hardly lift my left leg into the car from the start, and straight leg raising is affected, clearly signs of soft tissue inflammation. We ordered a wheelchair on the return leg, and it never appeared, however there wasn't as much walking for some reason on the way back. I guess we knew where to go.
I am back at the pool for 2 days a week, walking for 1 hour.
3.5 years of pain, pain and more pain, resting hasn't helped much. I've been on a go slow balancing the rest and activity for months now. On a positive note, I am at least free of the severe bone on bone pain, I could never go back to that again.
My right side after 10 months, isn't great either, its better, but not great.

I'm sure the vacation wasn't cheap and the fact that it was pre-booked left you with a difficult decision.
Surely you didn't want to disappoint your daughter either. It would also be difficult to be in a locale that you know you'll probably never visit again and not partake in all of the beauty and pleasure it has to offer. I'm sad for you though that you had to navigate Marble Mountain while suffering burning pain. It must have felt bittersweet. Thankfully you took it slow avoiding any miss steps leading to a fall and hospital visit, or worse. Scary thought in a foreign country. I'm glad you made it home safely.

I certainly don't think you're stupid. I was simply struggling with how you were able to engage while suffering pain. You've given an understandable account and I'm sorry you couldn't have enjoyed the trip and time with your daughter when you were further along in recovery and ideally pain free.

I do understand your frustration in feeling restricted. Try to look at your body, aside from yourself. Ponder all it's been through. A LOT in a very short period of time. Three major surgeries, in as many years, is A LOT. I hate to say it again, but I think you're going to need to be more patient and take-it- slow. It wasn't one hip / one surgery. It was three MAJOR surgeries. I feel if you can commit to slowing down for at least another 8 months, YES, EIGHT, you may be very pleasantly surprised at your progress, lack of pain and ability to move forward. Small price to pay, don't you think?
Only want the best for you @Dickie 1
Big hugs

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom