Severe hip dysplasia

amb3k9

Country
United States United States
Just turned 35, have had hip problems for about 5 years. Diagnosed with DDH (hip dysplasia) both sides. Left side is severe (center edge angle less than 15 degrees) and right moderate to severe. MRI shows arthritis and bilateral torn labra.

I think most have been surprised given severity. I was never diagnosed and have been super active with sports, military training, etc. I recently went to three joint ortho's including one that specializes in adult hip dysplasia. Was hoping to hear about joint preservation surgery (PAO), but he told me my hips are now too far gone and left will need to be replaced. Also have a LLD on my left of about ½ inch.

Didn't give me a date, but said to let him know when I was ready. The previous two hinted I was much too young to progress to THR. I am encouraged by others stories with similar diagnosis and recovery stories, but still feel too young to take this step. I have good days and bad days, but it honestly becomes hard to walk more than a few blocks or play with my young children some days.

Would love to hear others when they decided to pull the trigger with hip dysplasia (and still being young).

@amb3k9 Welcome to BoneSmart! I too had congenital hip dysplasia in both hips. I was a bit older than you when diagnosed but even then was told I was young for THR. Frankly there is no age discrimination for THR patients. You need those hips replaced to get on with living life again.

We have plenty of members your age and younger who have had their hips replaced. Get this done and get on with living. You are far too young to sit on the sidelines.

I suggest you open the PDF I have attached to this post. Print it off and fill it in. It's not a scientific tool but one designed to inform you if you are ready for a hip replacement.

As Jaycey said, there should be no age discrimination in hips. And we've not only had 30 year old members have THR but 20 yr olds and even younger, like 25!! Teenage hip replacements

You might like to see our star, shugaplum, who had her hip done at the tender age of 24 and two years later gave birth to a fine baby boy!

jt6xa8.jpg

Attachments

• A_Score_chart_-_how_bad_is_my_arthritic_hip-knee__v4.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 252
Thank you for the reply. I am not completely disabled now, but I think the torn labrums and arthritis make some days bad. I am still pretty active and would like to remain so. I have stopped running, soccer, and lower body heavy weights. I would like to continue to play with kids though as well as hike, bike, etc. I feel I would be pretty hard on a replacement hip and would like it to last as long as possible. I am required to maintain level of fitness with my job as well. As many have said, they wished they would have done it sooner to not be in pain daily. I don't want to decrease fitness level too much before deciding to do it, but it seems like there are a fair amount of young people here who went ahead and decided to do it and glad they did! Thanks again.

I feel I would be pretty hard on a replacement hip and would like it to last as long as possible.
Trust me, present day hips are designed to last as long as possible! Surgeons are now confidently talking about the 'forever hip' and one company has even used that term as a name for their hip! We also have a number of cases here you might also like to read
Hips that have lasted 32, 40, 41 and 45 years
67½ year old - the THRs, not the patient!

I don't think you need to worry!

Hi there,

I had my hip replaced at 32 due to dysplasia diagnosed at 2. I had my original reconstive surgery at 12 (older version of PAO). Then the cartilage went pretty rapidly at about aged 30.

For me it was about the getting it done when paracetamol no longer relieved pain and my walking was so painful that I would think twice about going out with friends. It was starting to change my lifestyle.

I think I got the timing pretty good, I was on a waiting list so in an ideal world I would have had it a few months before but I was so happy with my new hip. I've been pretty active, am an avid hiker and gym goer. It's coming up for revision now 13 years on but I've no regrets as having a pain free normal life matters at an age!

Forums like this help so much as it always takes time to weigh up the pro 's and cons. BW
Leigh

Hello and welcome!
My hips did not bother me until age 42. I was very active, track, walked everywhere. Right hip is 0 to 3degree, left 10 to 12. I have no cartilage in my right hip, bone on bone. I am on the list for my right hip. I tried everything before begging to part with this hip. All I can say is that I am ready, damn it.
Prior to this, the only surgery I had was having my wisdom teeth removed. To say I am a little scared is a gross understatement. But we've got a lot of living to do. I want to walk everywhere again. Don't wait for.....?

Hi @amb3k9.
I'm not quite in the same position as you, as I "only" have OA, but none of the other issues you mentioned.
I was diagnosed with OA nearly five years ago, at 33, and told to come back when I was ready. I thought I'll wait till I'm 40... Easy.
Well, I gradually gave up just about all sports (Muay Thai, then running, then boxing) and now even walking, can't sleep etc etc. and eventually gave in and went to see my OS (Josephine's questionnaire is an eye-opener!). I am now on a wait list to get my right hip replaced, but it might be a year before it's my turn.
Don't wait too long and until it is unbearable. Get it fixed now and enjoy time with your kids.
Susan

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks