THR Set the date today

BruceH

senior
Country
United States United States
First I have to say that all the doubts and uncertainties are gone. My thoughts were running circles in my mind about hip replacement surgery and all the processes required before getting to this part of the journey.

I had an appointment with the OS today and everything is great. The only thing I wish was different is that I have to wait at least 3 months post intra articular steroid injection. That puts the earliest date for surgery in December but people like to have surgery prior to the holidays (he was all booked up for December) so I'm scheduled for January with an on call for December.

I'm scheduled for a 2 hour joint replacement class prior to surgery, a CT to get dimensions of my anatomy for the robot assist, and a few other things.

This was just another process to check off. My goals are fairly simple. Reduction or elimination of pain, get back on the golf course, be able to hike moderate trails, and taking the dogs on long walks.

Good news! I'm happy to hear you're making progress in your hip journey. You'll have plenty of time to prepare for your surgery this way. You'll be surprised at how fast the time goes.

Sounds wonderful @BruceH !! Somehow, having that date helps, I think. Now you can plan.
Here's hoping you get a cancelation spot in December!

:egypdance:glad it is settled.
Next year, you get your life back.:yes!:

Great news on getting your date. I should hopefully find out next week for mine.

Happy Sunday, Bruce!
Wondering what your January date is so it can be applied as your signature?
Please share below and have a great day!
@BruceH

Thanks! Forgot to ask which hip?
Let us know if a cancelation date pops up. Fingers crossed for you :fingersx:
@BruceH

Looks like we will be hippy buddies - I have my left hip scheduled 1/16/20 and then my right hip 3 months after that. January 2016 I noticed I could no longer cross my legs and my range of motion was getting limited. Went to Dr. and had X-rays Oct. 2016 - bone on bone for both hips. I have been able to continue to waterski each summer and snowboard each winter until this summer 2019. I said when I could no longer waterski or snowboard I would get surgery - so, 2020 I will be turning 60 and getting 2 new hips. Never in my wildest dreams while growing up did I ever think I would be getting new hips at 60. 75 maybe, but not 60! Hang in there with me!

Congratulations on the date, I had the same post injection wait. If you are able to walk and do normal life activities without an assistive device or too much pain, things will roll quickly for you. I am 6 days away and will be watching your posts as I recover..

Right now the date seems to be far in the future. My hip is going downhill pretty quick. I can still walk unassisted but on some days it's easier to use a cane. It just doesn't feel right using a cane in public, not sure why but I just don't like to do it.

I'm thinking the steroid injection is speeding up cartilage loss. Exercise causes more pain than it used to.

The CT for robotic mapping has been done, I still have a few appointments left prior to surgery. One is with a blood doctor, my counts were a little off so I get to have a bone marrow aspiration. Lucky me, lol.

Right now the date seems to be far in the future. My hip is going downhill pretty quick.
I'm really sympathetic...even at 2 1/2 years out, I can still remember how hip pain became all over, all consuming pain.

It just doesn't feel right using a cane in public, not sure why but I just don't like to do it.
Just a moment in time...we do what we must. Just temporary.

Exercise causes more pain than it used to.
Hopefully you aren't doing much more than walking...I remember someone using the analogy of driving on a flat tire.
Only so much you can be doing...
One is with a blood doctor, my counts were a little off so I get to have a bone marrow aspiration
Good grief.
But sounds like your OS is being mindful and if there is any underlying issue like anemia, it can be addressed now to put you in the best condition for recovery.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend, Bruce.

Dont sweat the cane. I am using my walkers at home.I am using a cane today going to play my bands last show at a blues festival and will have lidocaine patches in several spots and maybe a brace for my hip/thigh....Sometimes later in the day there is more pain, especially being off the RX Nsaid preop and the cane isnt enough...Try getting exercise that doesnt affect or involve that hip. Difficult because of referred pain with me.But with a date booked, if you are going downhill, baby your affected area. Folks here cautioned me about PT on a degraded hip and muscles...you can work it back later when healed. Keep focused on the goal.

@Mojo333 I understand the warning about exercise. I have been using an elliptical machine set at the lowest resistance for cardiovascular reasons. If I don't get cardiovascular exercise 3 times a week my blood pressure goes up.

I realize I'm going against all the good advice and experience on the forum but I plan to keep using it until I can't or until surgery. My thought process is that surgery will be easier on my body if I'm in reasonable physical condition.

The blood doctor and cbc with differential was referred by the radiologist after the initial hip mri. I don't think it's a big deal, the OS didn't really think it was necessary but the wheels were already in motion by the time I met with him.

@Steelmanpa Thanks for the advice. I've become very concerned about the amount of ibuprofen I have ingested over the last year. So concerned that last week I reduced my dosing to as required and only when the pain is almost unbearable.

Part of the Hematologist's orders included an abdominal ultrasound. Reading the radiologists report made me start thinking about what is happening to my organs when I take medicines at high doses and for long periods of time. Lucky for me almost everything was normal and I would like to keep it that way.

I trust you know what is best for you.
I am wishing time to speed by and you can get on your way back to happy and hip pain free.

I just read through some of your posts. I also got the groin injection a few months back, it lasted about five months. Even with the time I had pain relief, my limp was so bad I had to use my cane to walk right. At first it made me feel like I was a feble old woman then I realized, no body cared about that but me. If you need the cane no matter where you go, it's better fore the body than a limp or added pain.
I wish you the very best.

I meant to say the groin shot lasted about 5 weeks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back