Seriously considering a TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

kymamaw

Country
United States United States
My concern is my teeth. I know I have old fillings and crowns that might need work and a couple of teeth that need to be pulled. I don't want to use my pre-hab time having teeth pulled and such. Is it possible to have the TKR and still need dental work?

The main thing about dental issues and joint replacement surgery is that you don't want to go into the surgery with an active infection. And you likely will need to wait at least 6 months after surgery before having any dental work done. So, depending on what shape your mouth is in right now and what work needs to be done, you'll need to discuss your particular situation with your dentist and your orthopedic surgeon.

Well I have no infection. I have a couple of broken teeth that I could have pulled. I'm just concerned that I might need bone grafts and implants that I don't want to deal with before surgery.

That doesn't sound like something that would need to be done prior to surgery. As long as you could wait at least 6 months afterwards to get it done, you probably won't have an issue. But I'd still discuss that with your dentist to see if he or she thinks you can wait that long. It's good you don't have any infection. It would be wise to have your dentist do a complete check with xrays just before surgery though. Some surgeons require it. It's a good way to catch problems that you may not realize you have.

My OS required a "clean bill of health" from my dentist prior to scheduling my replacement and no dental work of any kind for 6 months following the TKR.

I agree. I'll start with the dentist and work my way forward. Once they 'put me up on the rack' I might be there for awhile, lol! Thanks for your input.

I have had teeth issues in the past. Those cracked teeth could at any time turn into a painful infection. I would take care of the teeth first. My OS also wanted all dental work done before surgery. After TKR, you might need to be pre-medicated with antibiotics, before dental work.

Even though I had a check up prior to surgery a few weeks after my TKR a tooth broke and I needed some dental work. Get a good check up and see what the dentist says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom