TKR September surgery

Mimibmgc

Country
United States United States
I’m having my left total knee replacement on this Thursday September 23rd and I am so scared. I know it’s the only option left for me but I’m scared nonetheless.

@Mimibmgc
:welome: to BoneSmart!
I know it’s the only option left for me but I’m scared nonetheless.
It is normal to be scared, this is a major surgery. Your surgeon and the surgical team have a lot of experience with TKR, and you will be in good hands.

To help you prepare, here is a copy of our recovery articles.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Mimibmgc Welcome to BoneSmart! Just tell everyone you meet on Thursday that you are anxious. They totally understand and may give you something to help you relax pre-op.

Do keep coming here and posting. It does help ease the nerves.

@Mimibmgc Try not let your nerves get the better of you, keep your mind busy with getting the last minute things at home sorted, it totally normal to be nervous about the unknown, but thousands of knee replacement are preformed daily and usually with good success rates. I had my left knee replaced in 2019 and the outcome was so great ( it did take a good few months) so much so I'm getting my right one done in the next couple of months.
I found it helped enormously to write my fears, queries, woes here on BoneSmart, the team made it do much less stressful.
Wishing you a successful surgery on Thursday and I look forward to following your journey afterwards xx

I’m having my left total knee replacement on this Thursday September 23rd and I am so scared. I know it’s the only option left for me but I’m scared nonetheless.

Hi @Mimibmgc You aren't alone. I had terrible anxiety right before my surgery, which was last week (Sept. 15). During the week prior to the surgery, I made myself sick with worry. I kept second guessing my decision -- even though I knew deep down it was the right thing to do.

Sharing your worries here, with others who have been through it, may help. Everyone is so helpful and empathetic. I've found it so affirming to hear others' stories and realize that I am not alone in my worries and my pain.

You'll do great! See you on the other side!

@Mimibmgc Welcome to the other side. Love your solution of having your husband hold your heel to get that leg up and down.

Decided to take it easy this weekend which is tough for me to do (I’m always finding things to do).

Smart move! Like you, I have difficulty sitting still, but I'm at Day 12 and still spend most of the day icing and elevating. I get up and walk around the house about once an hour. I do my stretching exercises 2x a day. But, at this stage, if I try to do more, my knee throbs with pain.

My surgeon told me that my only job for the first two weeks is to rest, ice and elevate to reduce the swelling and heal from the trauma of the surgery. So, I'm taking him at his word!

Good luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom