THR September 8th RTHR

Lovestojog

Country
United States United States
Several years ago the orthopedist said I'd need a new hip during the next 70 years, and I kept jogging, feeling good. I was bone on bone but not in much pain. That changed in February so here I am, benefiting from all of your experience. It will be an anterior with titanium and ceramic.

Thanks!

Hello @Lovestojog - and :welome:

Best wishes for September 8th.

Here is some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

And since it's only a few days until your surgery date, here's sneak preview of the BoneSmart recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello and welcome to bonesmart. You sure made your original parts last a long time. Please ask any questions that might pop into your head if you do not find the answers in the readings provided. With all the experience on the site someone usually has an idea or a suggestion that is helpful. Have a peaceful evening.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! Will you be out-patient or over night? The folks in here have been so helpful in answering my questions and providing supporting guidance in this first week after my anterior hip procedure. Their advice is priceless!

@Lovestojog Hello and welcome! You will soon have a shiny new hip and the forum is here to help where we can.
I hope you take the time to read the links provided above, especially the ones that help you prepare your recovery space for when you get home from the hospital.

Good luck next week!

Stopping by to say Hi and wish you all the best tomorrow.
Since it’s the eve of your surgery, please feel free to start your post op thread on the Recovery side and it will be ready for you once you’re back home and resting comfortably.
I look forward to following your healing journey. See you on the bright side soon. :wave:
@Lovestojog

Sending wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I am looking forward to seeing you on the shiny side (recovery). Have a peaceful day.

Best wishes for tomorrow's land mark event in your life. It's only been two weeks this Wednesday since I had my new hip and I already feel so much better! You got this!

:hi: @Lovestojog and glad you have joined us.
New hip...back to a healthy life.
See you on the healing side...:ok:

Hi,

I had a very good experience. Appreciate all the well wishes and hope that Little Sun has had a good experience too. Surgeon has a remarkable team that followed me through my decision to have surgery in January of this year and is still an email away; also on the team is the in-home PT. They have used a dermabond closure -- clean and neat. They have also used the ERAS protocol (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery) which really helped. I recommend that bonesmarties look for doctors and hospitals who use it.
Now I will move over to the Recovery area. Again many thanks. I read everything but am just now replying.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back