THR September 7 RTHR :) - a bit worried though..

just having this pain going from sitting to standing right now until I take a couple of steps, it's pretty significant too, hoping this resolves like everything else has to date.. has anyone else experienced this at nearly 3 months? :(

I'm a little late responding but just wanted to tell you this... I just had my eight month anniversary and while I have had a most uneventful recovery, I still have this happen exactly as you describe it. It happens less and less as you make progress. Be patient with yourself. You will get there!:friends:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. We'd love to read an update if you have time to leave one. Wishing you all things good in the New Year! :)
@Sashka567

Hey all!

Thanks for following up, I was going to check in for my 4 month anniversary ☺️

To summarise, I've been feeling really good overall. I'm limping a lot less, my gait is a lot better and I have been seeing increases in mobility and overall getting stronger. My physio has been really good just giving me strength exercises and being patient not pushing me too far. I've been walking a lot more and still have a tendency to over do it which I still pay for in the few days after I've done too much.

All had been well but this week has been a bit achey.. I went to the beach last weekend and was frolicking around in the waves, even running around a little .. I was pretty sore afterwards then went and did a swim mid week and have been quite achey today. I've taken a Panadol but overall feel down about it.

I still can't go back to the gym and exercise.. I just feel like at 4 months I should be flying and I'm not.. I have my bad days still. I'm walking a lot better though but can't help feel down about any pain that comes up.

Anyway, overall very happy aside from this week. Anyone else experience a similar thing at 4 months?

Happy new year hippies xx

Hi @Sashka567
You are still healing...
I still can't go back to the gym and exercise.. I just feel like at 4 months I should be flying and I'm not.
That new hip is still a fledgling....and I'm glad you are giving it more time before you get back to a gym regimen.
As you found out, stressing those muscles and soft tissue results in machines so this is the time when we get to feeling more normal that we overdo at times and find out where the boundaries are.
A big day at the beach for someone who doesn't get a lot of activity will result in soreness and fatigue, much less for a new hippy.
Icing and OTC pain relievers were still my go to at 4 months out...and there is still alot of improvements coming down this recovery road.
I found my 4 month hipversary date in my thread.
Normal, and should serve as somewhat of a cautionary tale. Things are still rehabbing and this isnt the time to overdo.
You will get there!:friends:

Last edited:
Hello @Sashka567 :wave:
It seems everyone visits the ODIC (Over Did It Club) at some point. With any luck yours it just a quick drive thru. Hopefully you've been able to ice and rest some this weekend and the discomfort is easing. It's still early in the Recovery game if you consider the length of time you'll likely have the implant. Try not to be discouraged. You have months of healing to go and plenty of room for improvement. Your future looks bright! :SUNsmile:
Have a good week!

Thanks Layla, I'm feeling super low at the moment. I saw my physio and he said it'll all be ok, ive just overdone it. It's really bad at the moment though, just have this acute gluteal pain and from sitting to standing it really hurts until I take a few steps.

I'm confident it'll settle down but my emotional state is pretty bad right now. I just have those classic thoughts of I'll never get better and be ok again, still can't exercise etc etc. I was feeling so good up until this episode now, just really sucks

:wave: my hippy pal.

Hope you are feeling a bit better and babying that hip this week.
There can definitely be some bumps on this recovery road, but you have done very well and often the only way I discovered if it was too much too soon was the hard way.
It seems it never hurts until we stop!

Good thing is usually with some doubling back, rest and ice...things got back on track.

Healing hugs and good mojo coming your way.

Sashka, I have the same thing. I am ten weeks out. Decided to give the bike a spin. Took it easy but rode 5 miles. Now those first 3-4 steps after sitting are "youcch". I hadn't had that before. Also have a bad cold. I feel your pain.

A couple doses of 600 mg of ibuprofen knocked out the pain on those first steps. Hope all is well with you.

Hey guys! Sorry, for some reason I haven't received any notification anyone had replied! I'm happy to report I have had a good last few days and am feeling a lot better again (touch wood). I think I fall into those moments of crisis mentally but the pain has settled down and now I'm feeling good and strong again..

I hope I can stay away from the overdid it club but I'm sure I'll have more moments.. thanks so much for the encouraging replies all - much appreciated ❤️

Hey all,

Thought I'd check in during this global crisis. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe - this too shall pass

I wanted to give an update on my progress at just short of 7 months. I think I am doing a lot better, I am definitely less sore in between walks and exercise and am walking a lot better. I still have a bit of a limp but as I get stronger it becomes less obvious. I have been able to exercise much more regularly and am still trying to not overdo it but my workouts are growing in intensity, I go for regular walks now that are up to 1 hour at a decent pace and although I am still a little sore it is so much less and I'm able to do so much more. I even went for a jog (albeit slow) around an oval and managed to do 1 lap, I haven't been able to do that since I was 14 so it was a pretty big milestone..

The anxiety over aches and pains has lessened so much too, I only see my physio once a month now and he has given me general strength exercises to do at my own pace. I do still get piriformis/gluteal pain but it seems to be a lot less. I'm excited for the future and what it holds as I continue to get stronger and feel more normal. I am still a little worried about the walking though coz the limp is still there but I'm hoping there is still room for improvement. Also, sit to stand is a lot better and only hurts when I really overdo it with exercise, I can still overdo it I find but there is more capacity before I get to the point of too much if that makes sense..

Hope everyone is well - sending positive vibes to everyone during this pandemic xx

Good to hear from you, sounds like you're doing pretty well. If you're not already practicing heel to toe walking you should definitely give it a try. Really concentrate on heal hitting ground and rolling up to push off on your toes, harder than it sounds.

Hello @Sashka567
Its nice to hear from you. Thanks for the update!
You are doing well and at not quite seven months post op and there is room for improvement as people continue to notice progress up to a year after their surgery, even longer for some.

I echo, Elf1’s idea of practicing heel-toe walking. I used it myself to get rid of a pesky limp and found it very effective although it does take a bit of concentration because it feels unnatural. At least it did to me. Unnatural but not uncomfortable. It actually made me feel more in control rather than allowing my habitual sloppy gait to take over. Give it a concenrated effort and let us know if you think it helps. :)
Stay safe and well in this current worldwide crisis.

The 6-7 month mark is such a great milestone. It was then I began to often forget I had even had my hip replaced at times, and to worry less that I might mess it up. Not that all the pains and worry disappear completely, but I came to understand that even if I hadn't had my hip replaced, I'd still occasionally have pain when exercising, sleeping wrong, or doing something strenuous. Glad things are going well for you!

You are getting there and seeing/feeling progress.. isn't that a great thing? Just think, you still have more progress to be made, you're a ways off from your 1 year mark, so really, it only gets better.
I've tested the waters a few times with some easy jogging. That definitely uses a different set of leg muscles.
My next adventure will be to get my bike out and get some miles on it. Traffic is way down and my thoughts are that with the roads being so quiet, it will be perfect for this. Hopefully my husband and I can service it. :bicycle1:

The anxiety over aches and pains has lessened so much too,

Ahh, yes. It's hard to believe, early on. But it's true! My, you have come a long ways, fellow hippie! :thumb:

Hey all,

Thank you for all the replies! You're all so right, at this 7 month mark i'm starting to forget I ever had it done and limping and things are like that appear to be more habitual then structural. I'll keep practicing my heel to toe and slowly build my strength back up. This virus and being housebound has probably helped in limiting me from overdoing it. I think now is a good time to try and cycle too, get the bike out and get some fresh air.

Will keep you all posted.

Stay safe xx

Hey all,

How is everyone doing? Hope you've all been well and staying safe with everything going on in the world.

I just wanted to check in and say hello, i've been feeling really good for a while now although I seem to be getting a bit anxious coming into my 9 month anniversary. I feel like although I've been doing well, last week I went for a 6km walk, played some tennis and did a leg workout and after that I've been feeling sore.. and down about feeling sore :( I've made some really good progress, my physio is super happy too but I feel like there are still areas that need improving like my extension isn't the same as my left hip and I still have a very slight limp even though it has improved a lot.

I tend to feel like at 9 months I should be totally fine and thinking there's 3 months left until the 1 year mark is stressing me out, like if I'm not 100% by that milestone then it will always sort of remain at about 80-85% which is how i feel now. To be honest though, I have been feeling really really good, even running sometimes which my physio has said I shouldn't be doing just yet. I probably just overdid it but feeling a bit blue that I can still overdo it at this point.. any advice would be much appreciated. I know that with the left hip I kept seeing improvements over the years, even 5 years later there were improvements so I shouldn't be too hard on myself but I can't seem to help it.

xx

I know that with the left hip I kept seeing improvements over the years, even 5 years later there were improvements so I shouldn't be too hard on myself but I can't seem to help it.

You said it!

It seems you’re doing really well at 9 months post op. Many people notice improvements long beyond the one year anniversary of their surgery. I’ve read here that some surgeons suggest you’ll notice improvements for up until you’re two to two and a half years post op, so you still have room for improvement.

Don’t forget about icing when you’ve overdone it or you’re feeling discomfort, it’s not too late to ice. While we all want our prosthetic hip to be as good as, or better than our natural hip, it will never be. My surgeons PA reminded me of this. I can’t say I’m 100% either and may never be, but I can live with that due to the major benefit of this miraculous surgery....no more horrendous joint pain! Don’t lose hope, you have time on your side. Patiently hang in there and I’m sure better days are yet to come.
A great weekend to you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks