THR September 7 RTHR :) - a bit worried though..

Thank you so much for the support you guys.. this forum has been amazing.

So I had my check up just now. My OS x-rayed the hips and everything is just fine. He doesn't understand why I'm having groin pain , the hip is still healing but the prosthesis is sitting well and he did a physical exam where he kind of pushed my leg into the socket etc and ruffled it about a bit, I had no pain while he did any of this. My legs are the same length, everything is fine on physical exam and imaging.

I tried walking without the crutch and it's still not too pretty a sight, he thinks a lot of the way I walk is fear induced and a learned gait because of how I've been walking for so long although he isn't sure why there is groin pain and is hopeful it'll resolve once things settle down some more. He said in terms of the hip itself I am free to walk without the crutch but it is something that'll come from me when I'm ready, he did encourage me to try and walk around a bit.

I was pretty emotional during the exam, I had no pain when he was moving my hip about or pushing it around and into the socket to test it out so not sure why it hurts in the groin right now when I weight bare. I also hope my walking will normalise with time.. I don't want to stay stuck with a limp.. I feel like this will take a conscious effort though.

I need to stop being so hard on myself, just feel like I'll be stuck like this a lot of the time. That being said, I am only five and a half weeks out so it's still early days..

Mentally and emotionally I am feeling better today, it's a better day..

That's the situation for now.. x

Great news had a feeling it would be fine x. Why not go back to one crutch until you go back to Australia?? That might help muscles get stronger and the limp might disappear??
glad you’re in good spirits x.

That's true.. I'll keep using the crutch and trying to walk a little without it just to try and straighten up and get use to the feeling.. once I get going the groin pain eases up. I still don't want to push and do physical therapy and exercises that hurt but I feel like really gentle movement in the pool and trying to get around a bit without the crutch may help.. trying to get over the fear is a big thing too, it's quite paralysing at times.

I'll have the crutch in hand though upon my return.

I know you get tired of hearing it, but it is still early days.
Sometimes it just takes the time it takes.
Two months looks different than 6 weeks, 3 months even better, and 4 months was my biggest turnaround.
Keep trying...do things in small increments and see how it feels.
Try to do some light stretching in bed before you get up and about so things can get a bit looser.
You will gain confidence.
You are going to get there.
Don't know if you've seen this recovery chart?
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Hope today is a good day.

You're really right @Mojo333 , that recovery chart is too accurate, really puts things in perspective. Hoping the confidence will also come with time, you're right.

Also, does anyone get emotional when they're with their OS? I just feel like he genuinely cares and wants me to be great and no longer suffer. I'm still just 27 and have been dealing with this hip drama since I was 15, I really feel the genuine care from his end, just makes me teary.

I think this is a common reaction when seeing your OS after surgery. Especially in the first months after surgery.
We place our faith in this person and then it's over and in your case, he was showing you much care and concern.
Gosh, just replying about to you got me all misty!

Have a good day @Sashka567, you are getting there!

Hey @Sashka567 - I hear ya' with the heightened emotions when experiencing the kindness of your OS- there is nothing like the trust one needs to place in the skill and expertise of your physician, in the context of pain and anxiety regarding your outcome, to magnify your sense of vulnerability!

Sounds like you have had good news- that's wonderful! I hope that you hold onto that in those times of times of inevitable (and no doubt, fleeting) symptoms.

Yesterday I went in for my 6 week follow up visit (thank goodness all looks good on the X-ray) and was also reassured by my surgeon that all the aches (including the groin pain I have which sounds very similar to yours) is "entirely normal and expected" for at least, the first three months, and that even though the approach(and scar) is from the side, the majority of the"work" was done at the front of the groin- so hopefully that piece of consistent advise we both received will "calm our fears" when the tweaks and aches rear their ugly heads.

Hope you are doing well!

Pain at 6 weeks is pretty normal, along with having to relearn how to walk. My method for walking was to go to the big superstore near me. I would park at the furthest shopping cart corral that had carts. I could leave my cane in the car and get a cart from the corral. I'd then walk the parking lot and laps in the store with the cart, it makes a great walker and you can practice heel toe and no limp. Then when leaving I had a long walk to the car and the cart corral was handy.

He doesn't understand why I'm having groin pain

Did your OS mention the possibility of soft tissue inflammation? Please try icing if you're not, it may help, but you will need to dedicate some time...40-60 minutes, no less, a few times per day.

I don't want to stay stuck with a limp.

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

once I get going the groin pain eases up.

Is it more of a stiffness that eases with movement, rather than pain?

Although good x-rays and a good physical exam are encouraging signs I think

You're right, so dwell on the above when you find your mind going to the bad place.

Also, does anyone get emotional when they're with their OS?

I think when we're fearful, not feeling well, dealing with uncertainty and someone offers us their time, shows us compassion, gives us hope through encouragement, it strikes up emotion. You're normal, you've just experienced major surgery and it's life changing. You're going to be ok.

I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend!
@Sashka567

Hey all,

Thank you for the replies and words of encouragement, it's been so wonderful. Well today is officially 6 weeks post op and thankfully I've been feeling better these last couple of days. After I saw my OS I went for a check up with my physiatrist and she also reassured me I'm doing great and it's just going to take some time. She said the groin pain is to be expected with my weak adductors and shortened muscles but it'll ease up once I get stronger and the muscles adapt to the new joint, it's just going to take some time. That really reassured me, I love my OS but they are quite mechanical in general so it was good to see her and hear that.

I went into the pool the other day and did some light walking and movements, didn't spend longer then 30 minutes in there and I felt pretty good afterwards. It was soothing on me mentally and physically. I've also managed to walk around without the crutch while out in the street, I do about 50-60 metres here and there and then use it again, it's not the prettiest sight still but it's slowly getting there.

In terms of the pain, at times I still get paralysed with fear when having to take that initial step without the crutch (fear of the groin pain that is) but once I take a few I'm much better.. I'm trying to work on overcoming this fear of taking an unassisted initial step as it seems to be holding me back significantly right now..

Anyway, that's it for the time being, still trying to ice and elevate which helps as does trying to focus on heal to toe when I walk..

I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself all is well now and that it's just going to take some time. I also got teary with my physiatrist after she viewed my scans as she looked at my pair of ceramic hips and said they are perfect and that I suffered a lot and worked very hard to get to this point.. ahhh emotions are so heightened post op aren't they?

Hope everyone has a good weekend :)

Xxx

@Sashka567 stay with one crutch until you start leaving it behind. It does take time to build not only strength but confidence. Give yourself that time. Soon you will find yourself across the room and looking back at the crutch you left behind.

Walking in the pool is great, I had to wait a little longer for it to warm up before I could get in our pool. The only thing to watch for is it's easy to get a little sloppy and pivot the wrong way easily. Real easy to overdo it too as it's easy to walk in the water.

@Sashka567 Your follow up appointments sound very reassuring. You needed that right about now. You are doing so well and it's so deserved. If you can keep remembering that it's still very early in your recovery and to take things slowly.. you will do just fine. :flwrysmile:

Happy Six Week Anniversary!
It's nice to read you received reassurance from your OS that all is well.
Wonderful that you're enjoying the pool and successfully walking unaided for longer stretches. I'm guessing the crutch will soon be history as will the apprehension you feel in taking those initial steps without it. Emotions can be heightened during recovery...so let it out :bawl::boohoo::cry: its only temporary.
You're doing great!

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a pleasant week. :SUNsmile:
@Sashka567

Take it easy. I used CRUTCHES up until about 2 weeks ago. Pride gets in the way but then you have to realize what is going to make you heal quicker so I ate a lot of pride. I would walk a long driveway with crutches. Then each day I started going as far as I could without crutches. I probably looked stupid carrying crutches until I needed them. But I didn't care anymore because I am the one that had they surgery and knew/knows what I need.

Also about crutches...........I used them not only to alleviate pain but also to help my gait. You will get there and the "blues" are a part of it. Know that each week gets better. And I would gauge by week instead of day to day.

Good luck and don't rush yourself.

@Sashka567 Happy Six Weeks and glad you had good visit with your Physiatrist and you feel much better. The OS really doesn't go into much detail, at least in my experience, he's just worried about the implant looking good. Have to agree with @swimmer77 about using your assistive devices for walking for as long as you feel you need them, it pays off in the end. If you have the slightest limp you need to use something and practice heal / toe if you aren't already. I'm just over 3 months and still use my cane when out in public in crowded places like the grocery store as a safety precaution. Also, gauging by week instead of day at this point will help you appreciate the improvements you're making, even if they're only little ones! :thumb:

Hey @Sashka567 - so glad to hear of your reassuring visit with your physiatrist! That kind of "normalizing" message makes such a difference and helps quiet the anxious moments!

Hey guys,

Yes, I felt much better after discussing it with my doctors. I've been walking around a lot more with the crutch and walking longer stretches without it, I feel like I need to slow down again because I'm getting sore by the evening. The groin pain seems to be settling but I find if I've been walking around a lot and then sit down, when I get up I'm really sore for the first two - three steps and then I'm o.k, particularly in the gluteal/backside region.. has anyone else experienced this?

I'm working really hard on accepting the fact that I still need my crutch but I am walking around without it too and trying to practice heal to toe.. it looks a bit better but still a long way to go. Haven't been able to get in the pool these last few days but looking forward to getting in again soon.

I've been trying to ice in the evening and feel like I need to talk to my boss about a graduated return to work coz I don't feel ready to go back full time as of next week..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back