THR September 7 RTHR :) - a bit worried though..

Yes I've been given the all clear to get in the pool but to take it very easy. I guess it's just the groin stuff that's worrying me but maybe that'll ease too with time and icing.. I had pretty severe sciatica immediately post op and that's settled, hopefully it's just one of those things..

Do you think 6 weeks post op is a good time to start engaging in pool and PT exercises in general etc?

Do you think 6 weeks post op is a good time to start engaging in pool and PT exercises in general etc?
A good time to start slowly water walking but do limit the time to avoid soreness the next day. You don't need PT - just walking will be enough to ease that stiffness in the groin. Ice and elevate after any activity.

Hi! Sorry you are having so much groin pain. For me it was always an indicator that I had done too much. I also had an anterior approach and whenever I overdid it my PT told me the pain in my groin is my hip saying to slow down. Ice was my best friend. It seemed to help so much with pain. Be careful in the pool to as walking in water though it seems effortless does use a lot of muscles. Know that you are not alone and the people on this forum are wonderful and full of knowledge. Good luck! It may take longer this time but its well worth it.

Hello @Shashka567. As long as we all stick together it gets easier as the weeks go by. I'm 3 months recovery and I've spent the last two days back on my cane from over doing it. The groin pain does ease up as time goes, however it will rear it's ugly head when we do too much or stumble. You're doing good if you're able to go with no sides and not limp. I still consciously think heel toes, heel toe. You are a baby :curtsey: as for now. Easy does better now than laid up for a week. Somewhere I heard starting out for 10 min. and build "slowly". I wish I had access to a pool to walk.... I'm jealous. :doh:I'm glad things are going so well, keep on keeping on.:happyfeet:

Hey guys, yes I've been cleared by the surgeon but I'll see how I go. I may give it a go but only gently.. still struggling with this pain on the front side of my hip.. hoping it's just another thing in passing like everything else to date.

Thanks so much for the support all

Have you asked for some pain pills? If tylenol doesn't help much then you might need something stronger for a time. I still take one in the morning to be able to work.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you had a good weekend. When you ice, make sure you're icing for 45-60 minutes each time, no less.
You're not that far along in recovery. Hopefully the pain you've described will ease soon.
Warm wishes for a great week!
@Sashka567

Thanks all! I actually haven't been taking any pain meds.. I take some paracetamol when it's a bit much but otherwise no. I'm just trying to walk around and rest intermittently, ice and elevate. Hoping it'll all settle down..

:mcoffee: Good morning (here).
I know I was certainly ready for things to settle down by 6 weeks out and at 29...I'm sure you are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
There is so much trauma that is incurred during THR, it is just ever so hard to figure out what is normal feeling.
Please consider, unless there is a reason you can't, taking maximum dose of Tylenol/paracetamol to relieve your body of the stress caused by pain.
1000 mg every 4 hrs for maximum of 4000mg.
That psoas muscle is often the culprit for groin discomfort and it's a fickle fiend.
Light easy stretching a few times per
day was very helpful for me but don't want to overstretch either.
Pelvic tilts were also helpful...
I know you cannot help but compare recoveries as your first sounds remarkably easy as per your description.
This one is different and as you have discovered demands a different recovery. It certainly can be equally successful and you will get back to a happy life.
Trial and error on what is helpful is mostly how I worked it out.:good-bad:

Early days still...so keep the faith.

Hey all,

Quick update - have taken some panadol which helps with the pain.. not sure how long i should be taking it though.. aside from that, I have been able to progress to a cane which is progress right? I also am able to walk around some more without any assistive device but it's still not 100%... also, having random pains in groin and back of hip etc which i'm not too concerned about but are still there.

I guess my biggest concern now is why would there be any groin pain etc when fully weight bearing without any assistive device? It's getting me down.. thanks in advance for the support.. nearly 5 weeks now..

I guess my biggest concern now is why would there be any groin pain etc when fully weight bearing without any assistive device?
You have pain because without any assistive device you are putting full weight on that hip. Prior to now you used a walker, crutch or cane. Sounds like you are not ready to go without any assistance just yet. When you start leaving your cane behind that's when you know it's time.

And yes, if you still need panadol, take it. At only 5 weeks out all this is totally normal.

@Sashka567 I saw my OS today for post op and he said that the groin pain is to be expected. I wouldn’t worry at this point, just don’t push too far to fast.

Thanks so much you guys.. really appreciate the ongoing support

Another question - does anyone else feel disappointed when they take a panadol? It might sound extreme but I feel like everything is a failure the minute I take one.. :(

does anyone else feel disappointed when they take a panadol? It might sound extreme but I feel like everything is a failure the minute I take one.. :(
You should not feel a failure when you need medication. Think of it as a transition from heavy duty meds you were given in the hospital. Medication is a tool to help you increase your mobility. And most important - it's all temporary!

Hey all,

------Week 5 update------

I feel like i've been doing better. I noticed I can no lie on my stomach and flex my hip by bending my leg without any pain, I had throbbing pain when I tried doing this a couple of weeks post op. I am able to walk around without the crutch a little more too, still have the groin pain but it seems to be a bit less.. I'm hopeful that it'll settle just like the pain settled with lying on my stomach and flexing my hip (not to 90 degrees of course).

I guess what concerns me is that I still have random pain and aches when I try to fully weight bear.. I mean it's still early days and i'm probably too impatient with wanting to ditch the crutch and walk without any assistance but is it normal to have pain when fully weight bearing? Has anyone else experienced this early on in their recovery?

I'm flying back to Australia from the UK in 9 days and am expected to make a return to work in 13 days, I haven't really told anyone back home that I had the surgery and was hoping to be off the crutch at the very least but I'm not sure that will happen.. it's all causing me anxiety, going back to work, walking around with the crutch etc.. any advice would be appreciated.

All in all I am seeing progress though which has eased my anxieties somewhat and am expecting to get into the pool for some light movements on Thursday.

Thanks again for all the support :)

Hey there...
If you're struggling with certain movements, please don't push it, instead give it more time, then try at a later date. THR seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. Little surprises all along the way in ease of movement, or the ability to do things that had become difficult, if not impossible.

Random aches and pains can be considered normal up to five weeks and even beyond. There was major carpentry work done underneath the surface and it takes months to heal as opposed to weeks.

I'm wondering if the pain you describe upon bearing weight is always the same and if you could describe the location? I don't know that I'd be concerned with sporadic pain but if it's localized and increasing in intensity and frequency, I'd check in with my OS as I'm sure a member of his care team could either offer you the reassurance you're seeking, or advise you to schedule an appointment.

A Phased Return to work is recommended but it's understandable that's not feasible for all. Take a peek at the article below and if you have the flexabilty, I'd try to ease back in. There's no shame in taking care of yourself and doing what was necessary to have a decent quality of life (THR). If you're still using your cane upon your return, walk in with a smile on your face and your head held high. You're young, its a new beginning and the possibilities are endless.

A great week to you and safe travels home! Stay in touch, we'll be here. :wink:

Tap on the title in blue and the article will expand -

@Sashka567

Thanks so much for your reply @Layla .. I will bring it up with my surgeon, its kind of that localised groin pain that comes and goes in intensity.. I have pain when I am sitting down and try to lift and drop my leg to put it in another position whilst I am seated.. this was the same pain as pre-op so I'm feeling quite demoralised. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

There have been so many improvements but I feel like maybe my body is just a failure, I pretty much avoid contacting my OS out of the feeling of disappointment I have and the fear that comes with it. I still consider everything a success so far but I feel so far from where I want to be and people asking me how I can have pain after surgery doesn't help.. I'm struggling a lot mentally and emotionally.

As far as the crutch goes, you're right, i'll just walk in with my head held high. I feel like I don't have enough support around me like the first time I had the left hip done, it was a much more tight knit team etc which has been really hard on me I feel this time around as I often feel alone.

I'll have a look at the article and will have a chat with my boss. Going back home is also daunting and is stressing me out additionally..

Thanks again for the ongoing support <3

Ok...you're getting way ahead of yourself here. I don't mean that in a harsh way, please understand that. I'm going to get a tad graphic with you, sweetie.
You are only weeks separated from a "controlled" assault / trauma to your body through a major surgery. Your leg may have been manipulated aggressively in an effort to dislocate your hip. Your flesh was sliced open, muscles and ligaments separated, soft tissue disturbed. Then power tools were used to saw your bone and hollow it out so a metal prosthetic could be pounded in.

Your body is trying to heal and it is healing. You're not a failure, nor is your body failing you. You need to help this process along with a healthy mindset, understanding the process and give yourself lots of TLC.
When ignorant people who don't understand ask you why you're having pain after surgery, tell them it's a normal part of the healing process, which it is.
Refered pain from the hip is often felt in the groin.

Are you taking anything for pain? Even OTC meds? If not, you may want to take some Extra Strength Tylenol @ 1000 mg every six hrs, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You will need to calculate anything else that contains Acetominiphin into that 4000 mg limit. Also, if you're no longer icing, begin again. You can do this for months. Not just weeks. Ice for 40-60 mins, no less, when you're experiencing discomfort. It really helps with pain and swelling.

When you mention struggling emotionally, you're most likely experiencing what most of us have, Post Op Blues. This is prime time in the recovery game for feeling that way. Go back to the Recovery Guidelines you received and read the article on Post Op Blues. You are not alone in feeling this way, most of us understand. Please know it's only temporary, usually not lasting long.

When you're feeling alone in life, come here, you're never alone here, lights never go out and you'll most often always find someone to offer support or encouragement, uplifting you. So please don't be a stranger here.
Hugs and wishes for brighter days! It's going to be ok....promise! :)
@Sashka567

Last edited:
You are way ahead of me Sashka.
I’m still on 2 crutches and sometimes trying one. I don’t do as much as you.... but it’s not a race, slow down. If your body is sore it’s telling you to stop! Take it slower maybe?!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks