THR Sept R Hip recovery

Day 4- doing pretty well overall. Much more swelling than the last hip. Been pretty much icing consistently. Went to PT yesterday and they wanted me to do leg raises I told them No. I remember those didn’t work out well for me before.
Best to skip PT person, a nice sit on a park bench on a nice day would do more for you then someone wanting you to force leg raises or anything else the first weeks of recovery.
After my first I had no problems moving my leg and I remember at the hospital they were bullying patients into forcing movements to the point of some screaming and crying. After my second I had log leg and couldn't move my leg much. I went to the PT session at the hospital and they tried doing that again. It didn't take long for them to back off from me and the people around me once I bucked up on them. I really think they enjoy the bullying and pain they induce for no gain.

Yikes! Those PTs sounded terrible. This was a young guy and he had no problem with me moving at my own pace.

Last edited:
At 4 days the pace should be in your recliner or just walking. From my experience and many others on here the majority of what PT's tell you to do has no benefit in THR recovery especially in the early weeks to months. Most of us have no idea who tells them to do these things to us. That is why people always tell people to ask the PT their date of THR as they have never had the joy.

Anyone have any experience with hiccups. Have been having them off and on for a couple of days now. Longest for a few hours.

Anyone have any experience with hiccups. Have been having them off and on for a couple of days now. Longest for a few hours.
Just read this online - Hiccups that are triggered by anesthesia drugs are usually chronic spasms. Normal hiccups can last from a few minutes up to a few hours.

Check online apparently you're not the only one. Cold comfort, I know and I am sorry, nonetheless annoying even given that info. I hope this eases for you soon!

Hey all,

Just checking in day #7 since L hip. I think I was off a day above as I was counting surgery day as #1. Hiccups have completely resolved. They were absolutely terrible, thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room a couple of times.

Hip feeling fantastic, no pain or pain
Meds. Using the cane as I need to use for 2 week’s minimum per the surgeons protocol. I’m just relaxing and icing like a mad man. I have a foam wedge that I use to elevate when lying which not only is really comfortable, but I’m sure really decreases the swelling.

Just have to add one thing, because I am so happy. I dropped a sock from the dryer this morning and bent down to pick it up. I haven’t bent down using my hips in over 40 years. It was an amazing feeling. I’m sure my back is going to thank me. Never thought something as simple as bending down would bring me such joy. I thought I was going to cry for a moment.

Never thought something as simple as bending down would bring me such joy.
Just one of many activities that you will be able to do now that you joined the double hippie club. I assume you don't have any bending restrictions? These days many surgeons aren't imposing them.

@Reefboy I grinned at your description of picking up a sock! It brought back memories of doing things like that after my hip replacements ... it is a thrill to do just mundane things without pain isn't it?!

Omg, Yes! Sitting at the kitchen table with a straight back. I guess your hips are supposed to hinge while you’re sitting. Always wondered why I sat so odd, lol.

Hi @Reefboy Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well since you last posted...making steady progress.
Leave an update when you have time. Hope to hear from you soon! :)

Hi Layla, thanks for thinking of me.

Everything has been going flawless, pretty much just like the last hip. The only issue I have now is some soreness around the trochanter area as I have been a little to excited and walking 5-6 miles a day. Of course it’s too much too soon for me. So, I’m resting for a few days while icing and plan on a much slower ascent.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!
@Reefboy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member