THR SelfHelp's recovery Thread

@ Mojo333, @ Elf1, @ CricketHip, @ Layla, at the end of the 6 week precaution period will OS evaluate the hip before lifting the precautions or is it automatically lifted after 6 weeks of healing?
Reason I ask: My employer wants to know if I can go on an overseas trip 2 weeks after my 6 week precaution period? Trip involves 15 hour flight, more walking than I am used to and no opportunity to elevate and ice. Employer needs an answer now. Therefore I want to know if a hip is considered healed after 6 week precaution period is over or is a evaluation by the OS required. I am afraid this trip will set back my healing process and I will regret it. Would like to hear your opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
My employer wants to know if they can send me oversees 2 weeks after my 6 week precaution period? It involves 15 hour flight, more walking than I am used to and no opportunity to elevate and ice.
Precautions may be lifted however the hip is a long way from healed. And any long haul flight is out. I would not attempt anything like that for at least 6 months post op - maybe longer depending on how mobile you are. There is a risk of blood clots post op. A long haul flight would increase the risk. Then there is sitting for 15 hours and excess walking.

It can take up to a year or more to be fully healed. Please don't even consider this trip. Very risky!

@SelfHelp while this is my first THR and I'm definitely not a medical professional, I would whole heartedly after with Jaycey. I think this has the potential to totally derail your recovery.

I have to side with @Jaycey. I went back to work at 8 weeks out and only 4hrs first two weeks. I could do it however then resting in the recliner cause my body was wore out. That is a long flight and no time to elevate and rest through out the day would be hard on your body. You can always call your surgeon and ask, don't see them giving an okay for that. You would then have medical advise to decline this trip for your peace of mind. That would be the approach I would take. When you are close to going back to work you can give your surgeon a overall of what your job requires and he can add restrictions as he see you need for the time. I know I don't like saying "I can't " to my boss so let the Doc do that for me. Try not to fret about this during the weekend since it can't be dealt with till Mon anyway. :friends:

I always told my kids to blame me if they got into a jam while out with friends. Now we can blame the Doc! :ok:

Don't do it, pleeeze! That could land you in the ODIC for a long time.
There are so many things wrong with that idea but it's understandable you'd have no clue without the experience of another recovery under your belt. Instinct has told you though...so please listen.

I hope you're having a good weekend so far. Enjoy the rest of your day in sunny Cali :)
We can be a bossy, opinionated bunch, but it's only because we care. :wink:
@SelfHelp

oh boy, @SelfHelp I'm so sorry but I have to agree with Layla, Jaycey and the others before me here. Its just too soon and from how you described the trip, I think you know this too. Hopefully you can discuss this with your OS and explain the arduous nature of the trip and get something in writing that keeps you from taking that business trip so soon. This is the hardest part of our recoveries, the tightrope of doing enough, yet not overdoing it.
Hang in there, soon you'll be back to work, and even your "regular" work will exhaust you for while and that is without the extensive traveling. :console2:

SelfHelp,

I’m at nine weeks or so.

Second hip ... first was 20 years ago.

I had a great recovery so far - but i overdid things between 10-14 days.

Even so, i just completed a few thousand miles driving, lots of walking, etc.

But, I scheduled this hip to give me four months prior to my first long (8 hour) flight.

I would NOT fly that far at two months ... unless it was really necessary ...sort of teasing the tiger, unnecessarily.

Wow, I can only add my voice to all the others, @SelfHelp, and that is that such a long flight so early on in recovery just seems crazy. And with no opportunities to ice and elevate and far more walking than you're accustomed to--sounds like a recipe for disaster! A recovering hip plus that miserable energy drain, it just seems crazy to me. But, consult with your doctor!

No opportunity for elevation or icing ... 15 hours on plane ... Your own hesitation. Say no. Sounds like your employer really just needs an answer ... not a "yes" answer. There would be unbearable pressure on you to be a peak performance on this trip.

Answer a firm no ... without getting into detailed explanations ... you don't want to "justify" not returning earlier than is healthy because if you are anything like me, you'll feel guilty and wonder if your justification is good enough. Just say your doctor says no. And literally stop.

Sounds like your employer would then instantly move on to plan B.

Last edited:
You're out numbered, we won with a resounding NO, DON'T do it.
Sorry you asked? :heehee:

Thank you all for your recommendations and wise words to my question. I appreciate all your advice. Yes, I agree that it is in my best interest to decline the trip. For some reason I thought that I could be ready for such a trip as long as OS has lifted the 3 restrictions; I may have also read accounts of people traveling shortly after THR. But now that I think about it, I would have to drag along luggage, laptop, etc. with the body still recovering, it may set my recovery back and not worth it.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Good decision! And you aren't talking about a short flight, either.. 15 hours!!
I'm so glad!! :flwrysmile:

Correct decision. You could really impede your recovery as so many things could go wrong! “just say no”!

Ps I was 6 months out before I took a long haul flight. The long walks at the terminal dragging a wheeled trolley and long periods of sitting in the plane did take their toll. I was very tired the next day and was on holiday too not working. My hip leg got very swollen after the flight and I had to elevate it quite a bit. I did have a good time but was glad I wasn’t working!

Tomorrow I will see my surgeon for 1st post-op. Its been 2 weeks since my surgery, amazing how time flies.
I have 2 questions for my OS:
- ok I resume working from home, requires sitting upright at desk for hours
- tried sleeping on good side with pillow between legs, but have increasing pain with new hip until it is unbearable. What could be causing pain? What can I do about it?

Hi @SelfHelp. My hip op was a couple of days before you and I had a hospital appt yesterday (not with surgeon though) and asked about working from home. They said that it was not a good idea as sitting for longer than 20-30 mins would be uncomfortable and not good for me. I am leaving it a little longer before I resume. I hope you get the answers you need tomorrow

Hello, @SelfHelp
Best of luck with your post op visit today. Let us know how it goes.
It's always nice to get questions answered, receive reassurance all is well and that your recovery is on track.
Have a great Tuesday! :SUNsmile:

- tried sleeping on good side with pillow between legs, but have increasing pain

Well, I'm 8 weeks out and still having problems sleeping on my side! It's getting better but first few goes it was reaaaaly uncomfortable. I think it just takes time. A matter of finding the right thickness of pillow, how your body tilts, etc. I use another pillow vertically to prevent me from leaning too far to the side. My hip needs to be exactly 90 degrees to mattress. It will get comfy I'm sure for both of us. :thumb:

@SelfHelp
Josephine has a great illustration on how to resume side sleeping, with a little help from pillows and more than just between the legs.. let me share it:

1. if you have restrictions, then you cannot/should not try sleeping on your side until these have expired. Maybe 6, 8 or even 12 weeks - it depends upon the surgeon.

2. if you don't have restrictions, you can attempt it at about 4 weeks.

However, there are problems with this.

1. when a person lays on their back, their legs tend to roll inwards (internal rotation) which increases the risk of dislocation - like this
lying-on-side-jpg.32955

2. getting onto and off your back, increases that risk even further, hence the urge to be cautious about this.

A secondary "however"!
You can pre-empt this by getting a long pillow and placing it down your back, operated side up, thereby rolling ever so slightly onto the non-operated side. But do have another ordinary pillow - not too fat - between your legs to stop the upper leg rolling inwards - similar to this

body-pillow-jpg.32956

However, this is only going to be for a few weeks, 6 at most, so please think twice before you start spending silly money on these special pillows. Much the same can be achieved by ordinary pillows and/or rolled up blankets or duvets.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette