THR SelfHelp's recovery Thread

@Layla my wife is same as you, she could not listen to the hospital PT describing the surgery :) I have watched many surgery videos, I had to learn what was involved. Doctors don't like dealing with folks like me, we google too much, ask too many questions. But you know the saying "A little Learning is a dangerous Thing".

Glad you're feeling good for the most part, not much help with what you're feeling as I'm probably in the same boat since I'm two days before you. Hep, not watching any videos of the procedure, don't want to know quite that much! :heehee:

Day 2 of recovery I had a scare. When returning from a short walk I noticed my heart was racing, Blood pressure monitor showed it bounced between 150 – 157 beats per minutes, reviewed the medication, none caused fast heart rate. Left the PA a message, decided if I don’t hear back within 30 minutes from the PA my wife will take me to the emergency room. In the mean time I drank lots of water and continued monitoring the heart, slowly the rate came down to 140, 130, 120. The whole episode lasted approx. 1 hour until heart rate normalized again. Spoke with PA, he says some bodies reacts to stress of surgery + activity so soon after surgery with high heart rate. I had just finished walking when I noticed pounding heart. Over the following 2 hours heart beats came down to normal levels and stayed there. That day I had moved very little, except for that short walk, so decided that from now on I will walk regularly.

Anybody else experienced such a scare with racing heart?
@Layla you have any insight what might cause racing heart condition?

Last edited:
OS said my Femur stem was un-cemented and cup anchored by 1 screw.
Welcome to recovery! Mine (also posterior) was same, found out details at my 6 week checkup. I hope you are now not so worried about the precautions etc. I'm still careful with my hip but as @ahipgma said in your preop thread, we all push it at times but let our bodies tell us to stop. They do! Wishing you a boring recovery like mine. Feel free to check out my hiptopia thread. Good luck! :wave:

Hi @Calgal now that I have had first hand experience with the hip I can feel the increased resistance and pain as I approach one of the 3 restrictions. I asked the hospital PT about this, in case I break a restriction will that result in dislocated hip? She said it was not likely, more likely you dislocate as a result of a fall. Never fall!!!! Or if you attempt to break combination of restrictions.
But she made one interesting point, restrictions for 6 weeks allow your soft tissue and hip capsule to heal without being stressing and stretched. That will assure a stable hip in future. I thought that made sense.

Last edited:
Hi @SelfHelp
I'm sorry you had that scare today. While I'm not familiar with what occurred, possibly it's been mentioned here before and someone may comment in the days to come. If you spoke with the PA and he offered reassurance, I'd try not to worry about it. I'd take it easy though since your body has just experienced a "controlled" trauma. Heal first and worry about working out later. You can slowly build up strength and endurance in the weeks to come. Try to follow the Activity Progression For THR in the early weeks.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
It's only a rough guideline and to some may seem "lightweight" but if you use it to keep yourself in check somewhat, I think you'll do okay.
Have a great week!

Slow and steady wins this race.
Only short walks and lots of icing and elevating at this point.
Lots of disturbed soft tissue using the energy you have for healing.

All temporary so just roll with it.

Stay awake for surgery? :scaredycat:

A little strange and funny development, 1st meal I had after surgery in the hospital room were mediocre tasting chicken enchiladas, since then I have daily cravings for enchilada, breakfast, lunch and dinner I crave enchilada, I think that's funny.

You're right, it is funny.
Maybe since the enchilada was only mediocre you're not going to be satisfied until you get it right.
Go for it!
Hope your day is going well. :wave:

Yay! Happy Dance :happydance:

A Belated Happy One Week Anniversary! I recall wishing for that as my first milestone, I wanted to be one week post op. Silly, I know. After that, the weeks just kept clicking right on by. I think because you spend so much time on your bum the first week it gets rather frustrating.

Wishing you a great day. Happy Thursday!
@SelfHelp

Thank you for your anniversary wishes @Layla! Agree that sitting most of the day is frustrating. Overall the recovery going well. My pain level is tolerable without any meds, so far most swelling and bruising is around the incision, rest of leg has mild swelling no bruising. Sleeping is only problem. I can’t get more than few hours of sleep each night. Since I lay on my back most nights I tend to snore and the snoring is waking me and my wife :)

@SelfHelp ah yes, the all illusive sleep! I'm only get spurts of 2-3 hours maybe, at a time. Not a back sleeper and it's driving me nuts as well as messing with my back. Think if I had options to sleep in other positions I wouldn't wake up so stiff. I'm snoring too, even with my CPAP on! :zzz:

@julesglass , @Elf1 , @Layla , @Mojo333 , any of you working with PT? My OS scheduled 3 in-home PT sessions for me. Had my 1st PT sessions and it was helpful, she wants I do set of hip stretching and strengthening several times a day. I wonder if I should do PT exercises or instead work on walking with natural gait?

@SelfHelp I'm scheduled to start out patient PT this next Tuesday. Wasn't really wanting to go but had a talk with the doc doc and he said maybe just once a week to work on my gait/limp so that we can knock it out right from the get go. Still a bit skeptical but we shall see. If it hurts I'm not doing it.

I know I am really wanting to just stretch but am scared I'll do something wrong so trying to contain my stretches to upper body.

Depends on what and how much...
Still early days.
Dropped PT at the onset...aggressive PT for me...went back I think at about 8-9 weeks for gait training and light stretching. (Different PT)

Listen to your body and dont push anything..repeat...still early days.

I have been doing “prehab” physical therapy for a few months, because I had so many different parts of my leg/hip/thigh hurt and a bad limp. It’s been really productive, because we fixed some soft tissue problems (don’t have a limp anymore), and I feel better prepared to cope with the recovery. And...of course we can’t fix the hip itself, so we’ve done as much as we can until after the hip replacement.

My PT has released me to do the BoneSmart activity progression just as written: gradual increases in walking and gradual increases in the activities of daily living. He has not released me to do targeted exercises of specific muscles in repetitive sets. He explained to me that the former allows me to use my muscles in groups, typically in very low repetitions with lots of variety - and exercises do the opposite and he sees them as part of a different stage in my recovery.

Last edited:
I agree with @Mojo333 about PT. It is too early for more than walking. Tissue is still healing and sensitive to a "workout". I plan to go for PT however not for a while. If you want to try it just keep in mind not to let PT make you do anything that causes any discomfort. I will go at about 6-8 weeks and just then for a muscle massage and gentle movement. It helped on my first hip to get the muscles to relax. Listen to your body, don't push what it's not ready for.

@SelfHelp its nice to see the incision, isn't it? Our first milestone. :thumb:
I'm a big fan of working on the walking with a natural gait. (heel toe) Especially the first few weeks. the soft tissue is so inflamed and isolated exercises cause more inflammation. remember the mantras on here and you will do fine. I'm liking what Mojo told you,, around 8 weeks some good PT could be helpful. I like that it's only 3 in house sessions and who knows? Maybe you will learn something beneficial and you already know the no pain, no gain philosophy, right? :walking:

No pain = much gain
In this instance, right?

Lots of healing happening.
All in good time.
Plenty of time for strengthening and toning.
As crickethip says, perhaps you will learn something beneficial...if it's too early and causes discomfort, your body will tell you.
You just have to listen.:yes:

Hope today is a good day @SelfHelp

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie