Revision TKR Seeking TKR Revision experiences

One Trick Pony

Country
United States United States
Since I am facing a possible revision to my TKR from only 3 years ago, I would love to hear other's experience with TKR revisions. I am wondering:

1. How old was your original TKR when you had to have revision.
2. What was the cause of the failure of your original TKR?
3. How did the surgery and recovery process differ from you original TKR experience? Were you in the hospital longer?
4. Was the recovery process much harder than your original TKR recovery?
5. Does a revision have a worse prognosis, meaning higher failure rate or durability of the revision prosthetic?

Anything you would care to share would be very helpful. I'm asking all this so that I can gauge the experience of a revision vs. the original TKR experience. I've read that a revision is much more difficult to recover from. I want to have a realistic picture of what to expect from people that that have actually experienced this, since I will be doing this alone for the most part and will have to manage recovery on my own.

Thanks to all who wish to share. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Here is a list of members who have had revisions. You can look through their threads to get some ideas.

lovetocookandsew

Staff member since June 5, 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I needed a revision after my original TKR. We don't know exactly what caused the issue, but when my surgeon went in to remove the old hardware, it popped out into his hands before he even started chipping out the cement. I had a lot of pain in my knee before the revision; after the revision my knee has been great. I have had issues with the longer posts they put in with a revision, but those complications are rare, and my actual knee implant is good.

The recovery after the revision was a lot easier on me than the original; I don't know why, but I was very grateful for that miracle. Normally the recovery is similar to a first TKR, although every recovery is different, even on the same person. But, in my case the revision recovery was a lot easier on my body.

Because I have major issues with reactions to narcotic pain meds, I can't take any of them, so my OS had to use other pain relief methods for me, which did the trick, thankfully.

You are welcome to read my recovery thread, the link to it is listed on my post. But, be aware that my body is very different and my reactions will also be very different than basically everyone else on earth.....lol. (my OS jokingly refers to it as "your crazy body")

LaJudes

Country
Since I am facing a possible revision to my TKR from only 3 years ago, I would love to hear other's experience with TKR revisions. I am wondering:

Thanks to all who wish to share. Much appreciated.
Hi , l just finished up getting a revision , mine was due to infection . Original TKR was in 2018 . l had a 2 stage revision , first the entire replacement parts were removed and a temporary spacer was put in . l was not to put any weight on the leg and it was in a brace .l was in the hospital for 8 days . l was sent home with a pic line for a daily IV antibiotic which l administered myself . After 6 weeks the IV was finished and l was scheduled for the second part of the revision in 4 more weeks , replacement of new hardware. l was in the hospital for that 4 days . l found that the first part of the revision was way more painful and debilitating than the original TKR . l needed so much help just moving around , l almost ended up in a nursing home because l needed a lot of help . Once at home l had homecare nurses coming in . l used a wheelchair and walker to get around and never left the house except for Dr appointments . The second part of the revision was so much easier , very little pain and since l could put weight on the leg it was so much easier to get around . l still had a brace on the leg because of the surgery wound , it was stapled and weak , they were afraid it might pop open so didn't want any bending for 4 weeks . This was my experience with the revision . l am now working with a PT to get the strength back in the leg . After being immobilized for almost 4 months , it lost a lot of strength . l have no problems with bending as l got a hinged knee replacement .l have no swelling , stiffness or pain . Good luck to you , it can be a long journey depending on how the procedure is done .

agsmom

Country
@One Trick Pony I had a revision on June 27, 2022 after just under seven months. The reason was because the original TKR implant was placed improperly by the surgeon. I was not happy about it but my knee was very unstable and I had worsening valgus knee. I could not walk without a cane and even with it, my gait was terrible.

For the revision, I stayed in the hospital overnight, same as for the original TKR. I did fine going to and from the bathroom with a walker but I had a harder time doing the PT. They had me walk down the hall and walk up steps on the day of surgery. One of the reasons it may have been more difficult could have been that the surgery was later in the day than the original so I didn’t have as much rest time after coming out of recovery. The PT staff was literally waiting in my hospital room when they brought me back from the recovery room.

Revision recovery was more painful in some ways, you have to deal with stem pain due to the larger implant. For me it was mostly in my tibia; it hurt a lot when I was walking. However, all other aspects of recovery were better. I wasn’t in as much overall pain and it was controlled nicely with the meds. One thing to note, keeping in mind that we’re all different and have much different experiences, my original implant was placed wrong so I had to deal with the results of that. I had a lot of swelling, poor range of motion and instability from the beginning. I think this had a lot to do with a slow, painful recovery. Even though the revision implant is bigger, it was placed correctly and I don’t have instability so the recovery is going much better.

Here are some milestone comparisons:
I switched from the walker to cane between five and six weeks after original TKR; switched at four weeks or maybe a little earlier after revision
Drove at 10 1/2 weeks after original; drive at six weeks after revision
Never walked without a limp when not using a cane after original; yesterday I was able to walk without a cane and almost no limp
ROM after original never progressed over around 4 and 110; currently at 101 and 2 but I’m only 11 1/2 weeks out

Overall, I would say my experience has been much better after revision but I had unusual complications after the original. My advice to you would be to go into it with a positive attitude and expect a good result. You won’t know how your recovery will go but you know what to expect because you’ve been through it before. Know that you will have to be patient above all else and you’ll do fine. Good luck!!

*One more thing, (sorry for the book) please make sure your revision surgeon is Fellowship trained and has a lot of experience with revisions. Ask a lot of questions such as why did the first fail? Could I have any allergies that may have contributed to the failure? And anything else you’re wondering or worrying about.

Jazzerguy

Country
So happy my fingers accidentally brought this website back up on my phone today .

I am one month out from the knee removal. It's my third operation after an implant in Jan 2020, and an infection and a debridement last August.

Each surgey has been different. Looking back, my implant was almost easier than what's followed. The soft tissue pain has been profound during my current healing process. Especially in the IT band and back of my knee. I certainly hope it abates.

I'm doing my second Vancomycin protocol and have articulating anti bacterial spacers in the knee. My blood work reveals lowering CRP and sediment action numbers. I remain optimistic and determined and have good docs.

I'm encouraged by stories of success here. Any responses are appreciated. Cheers!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Catmommy
Recent bookmarks