THR Seeking Gluteus Maximus Tendon Transfer Advice

@I'vegotthis! Hydrotherapy can do wonders. Like the others have said, please make sure you either have graduated steps with a railing or a mechanical chair to get in and out. No ladder please.

Also, please take it very slow and easy. The water takes the pressure off your joints and it feels wonderful but also makes it so easy to overdo without realizing until you're out and its later in the day. Hope this helps, you deserve a break.

Hi I'vegotthis my goodness you have not had a good time, I am still struggling 2 years down the line from having DHS after a nasty fall, didn't have physio for 11 months as it was when the pandemic was on, had a couple of sessions to be told that the problem with my knee collapsing was due to the quad muscle being weak and nerve damage. Been recently for x-ray as they thought there might be movement of the screw due to me diagnosed with osteoporosis, thankfully screw is still sitting were it should be. Dr said there are two options strong painkillers or cortisone, as if this is going to help the knee collapsing, getting totally frustrated now.

Happy New Year to all. Just reporting in and seeing how others are progressing too. I have had my Pregabalin increased to 50mg x twice a day and 100mg at bedtime but not really seeing any benefit to this to be honest. Anything more than 30 mins on crutches or 5 mins no support walking at home results in swelling around the scar and greater trochanter region. I also see swelling to my ankle and foot. If I sit too long my knee swells and I struggle then with range of movement and my full thigh and knee feels like I am wearing a compression sock! Really struggling with being at home all the time and so desperately want to be back at work. I can’t seem to find anyone that’s struggled for so long. Any contacts or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi I'vegotthis my goodness you have not had a good time, I am still struggling 2 years down the line from having DHS after a nasty fall, didn't have physio for 11 months as it was when the pandemic was on, had a couple of sessions to be told that the problem with my knee collapsing was due to the quad muscle being weak and nerve damage. Been recently for x-ray as they thought there might be movement of the screw due to me diagnosed with osteoporosis, thankfully screw is still sitting were it should be. Dr said there are two options strong painkillers or cortisone, as if this is going to help the knee collapsing, getting totally frustrated now.
How are you doing? Sounds like you’ve had a tough time too! Glad to hear the screw is still in place. Have they offered you anything for the nerve damage?

Hi unfortunately I am still struggling, they have not suggested anything for the nerve damage, felt as if they were saying well the screw is still in place so just get on with it. I have got to the point now were I think is this it, the only time I feel anything near back to normal is when I go to aqua fit. I will have to walk around in a water bubble, take care x

@I’vegotthis!
, you're not alone. At 11 weeks, I'm dealing with muscle atrophy that keeps me stuck on poles. No swelling though, so I have no advice on that issue. But I do relate to your fear and frustration. Many THR replacement patients run a sprint of a recovery. Some, like us, run marathons. Hang in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Divipops , might trigger point therapy help you with nerve damage? I'm dealing with atrophied muscles and as I've read about TPT I've seen nerve damage mentioned. In the meantime, keep up with the Aquafit!

About the pregabalin for your nerve pain.....it can take up to 6 weeks to begin to work, so you'll need to give this new higher dose some time to work. Sometimes with this drug it takes several tries to find the right dosage. And....sadly....for some people, it doesn't work. Down the road, if it doesn't work for you, you could discuss trying gabapentin with your doctor. The two drugs are similar, but not quite the same, so one might work better than the other. People react to these medications differently.

Just be sure that you never stop taking either of these drugs without coordinating a step-down plan with your doctor. Both have the potential for dependency (not the same as addiction), that can cause problems if they are stopped all at once.

Have you discussed this chronic swelling with your surgeon? What do they suggest? Does icing decrease this swelling? Are you elevating that leg regularly? Sorry for so many questions. We need to get a full picture of what is going on before advising you.

As you are struggling with mobility have you asked your GP or surgeon for a referral to physio who will guide you in regaining your mobility? You have been on crutches quite awhile. You need guidance in regaining strength and range of motion in that op leg.

Last edited:
Hi unfortunately I am still struggling, they have not suggested anything for the nerve damage, felt as if they were saying well the screw is still in place so just get on with it. I have got to the point now were I think is this it, the only time I feel anything near back to normal is when I go to aqua fit. I will have to walk around in a water bubble, take care x
Aw it’s awful @Divipops to hear you are still struggling. I am learning you have to be quite forceful and demanding with both surgeon and physio! Everyone is different and you know your own body. Don’t just put up when there are options to try. If we had walked around in a water bubble originally we wouldn’t have had our falls - what a picture that conjures up! Don’t give up and try to stay positive. Let’s keep in touch x

@Divipops , might trigger point therapy help you with nerve damage? I'm dealing with atrophied muscles and as I've read about TPT I've seen nerve damage mentioned. In the meantime, keep up with the Aquafit!
I have also had shockwave therapy mentioned?

About the pregabalin for your nerve pain.....it can take up to 6 weeks to begin to work, so you'll need to give this new higher dose some time to work. Sometimes with this drug it takes several tries to find the right dosage. And....sadly....for some people, it doesn't work. Down the road, if it doesn't work for you, you could discuss trying gabapentin with your doctor. The two drugs are similar, but not quite the same, so one might work better than the other. People react to these medications differently.

Just be sure that you never stop taking either of these drugs without coordinating a step-down plan with your doctor. Both have the potential for dependency (not the same as addiction), that can cause problems if they are stopped all at once.
Thank you for this advice. I have a meeting with the surgeon on 23rd Jan so will give it until then and discuss again.

Have you discussed this chronic swelling with your surgeon?
Not my surgeon but the physio who has seen it swell during treatment
What do they suggest?
Ice and elevation
Does icing decrease this swelling? Are you elevating that leg regularly? Sorry for so many questions. We need to get a full picture of what is going on before advising you.
It does help. The swelling is more after being on my feet for a long period of time or doing any new activity. The surgeon has said to try any form of exercise and to push through it- we haven’t really got much to loose apparently!
As you are struggling with mobility have you asked your GP or surgeon for a referral to physio who will guide you in regaining your mobility? You have been on crutches quite awhile. You need guidance in regaining strength and range of motion in that op leg.
I have been having regular physio but they have discharged me saying the best treatment would be the hydrotherapy pool but I have to be recommended by the surgeon to a different hospital. Hence the meeting on 23rd January.

Hi all, I am seeing if anyone has any knowledge or experience of maximus tendon transfer? It’s another operation I am potentially going to have due to ongoing abductor weakness. Any advice is appreciated

Hello, I am sorry you continue to struggle. Hopefully you'll receive some feedback here on your thread which you can easily refer to at a later date.

Please notice that we moved this post from another thread to your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you'd like us to change your thread title to reflect your question, please let us know and we will edit accordingly.
@I'vegotthis!

Thanks @Layla thought I’d added to my original feed sorry! Yeah please change it to maximus tendon transfer advice please. Thanks for your help and hopefully someone has heard of it.

You're welcome @I’vegotthis!
Your thread title was edited and I am posting a brief definition found with a quick online search of Gluteus Maximus Tendon Transfer to give those reading a better understanding -

"Gluteus maximus tendon transfer is a novel yet reliable treatment option for the management of primary abductor insufficiency caused by irreparable gluteal tendinopathy and chronic retracted tears."

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pbrunmier
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom