Seeing OS in two weeks

spaknitter

Country
United States United States
Hello all! What a great forum. I've been reading for a couple of weeks, trying to prepare myself for what I know is coming. I've managed to postpone tkr for 3 years, but, as the doctor told me, you will know when it is time. I've had 2 arthroscopic surgeries on my left knee. However, it seemed to make things worse. I had a series of three shots (synvisc) ? Not sure, of spelling. That really worked for me and bought me 3 years painfree. However, it is time for surgery. The articles and helpful info here have helped my anxiety, as I am ready to get well and painfree again. I will check back in and appreciate all who have been through this and sharing your stories! You all seem very brave.

We're brave because being in pain made the risk of surgery seem like a really good option! I can say without reservation that having this surgery changed my life--and I haven't fully recovered yet. I'm already so much freer from pain and disability the difference is mind-boggling. Like so many others have said: I wish I'd done it sooner. Like you, I put surgery off for years. There is that point, though... and it sounds like you've reached it.

Hope the OS is one you like and answers all your questions. And should you have more questions, or just want to talk about what this surgery and recovery is like with people who've had it, you know we're here and happy to talk about it. Best of luck!

Welcome to BS! Do you have a date for surgery?

In truth, I'm a wuss! TKR surgery scared me to death, but I wanted my life back more than I was scared. I'll leave you with some info that may help to decide.

Here is some pre op reading for you.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

spaknitter,

My apologies - I don't want to "hijack" your thread, but was wondering (maybe a little dis-sensitive, sorry) if you could describe the pain? I am considering arthroscopy for meniscus tear, and I have a thread on it, but what I feel isn't so much "pain" but more that my knees feel more like swollen and "cold" esp. later in the day. The other thread I have is https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...cus-tear-repair-and-recovery-questions.42800/, may be better to answer there, if you can/want.

Thanks, and best of luck!

Jim

Thank you, KarriB. I feel the same way you do. Scared, but it needs to be done. No date yet. We are in the process of building a new house and should be finishing up early October. I might wait until after the holidays. But, I am hoping to get it scheduled in two weeks.

Jim, I have never had swollen or cold knees. I'm assuming you have been checked to make sure there is no infection? My knees continually pop and crunch, buckle, and keep me up at night. I can not bend or squat at all. I have shooting pain pretty much all the time and I have severe weakness when trying to stand. I don't know if this helps. My arthroscopy did help me for a while. Good luck, I hope it helps you!

SusieShoes, thank you! So glad to hear you are healing and are still glad you had the surgery! I hope your progress continues!

I am heading to see my OS this Wednesday, August 30th. I want to thank everyone on this board. I have read many personal stories, articles, and tips and now feel confident going to see the surgeon and will go with lots of questions! :idea:

I feel better informed about the operation, therapy, and anesthesia. Thanks for the information. I will check back in Wednesday evening!

I am currently at 4 weeks post op. I can't say I am yet at the point where I am glad I had the surgery, but I fully expect that time to come. And knowing what to expect is half the battle.one of the things I feel I did right was to choose my surgeon very carefully. And I did workout to strengthen my body as much as I could. Having a strong core, upper body and good leg helped me be able to move around safely after surgery.
Things I did not realize I would go through:
The amount of pain. I usually have a pretty good pain threshold, but this kicked it to the curb. I have no other illnesses or conditions, so all I needed to concentrate on was this knee.
The length of time I would be on pain meds. I think I expected a good full week, with some carryover into week 2. But as I approach week 3, the only change I have made to taking my meds according to rx has been not setting the alarm for the middle of the night dose. If I wake and need it, it is there. But if I don't, I will skip it. I knew I should not chase the pain but stay ahead of it, I just didn't realize how long I would have to stay ahead of it.
How exhausting everything would be for me. I am usually taking 4 or 5 naps a day. I have to make myself shower because it just wears me out. After I do my daily exercises, I reward myself with a nap.
How important icing is. I knew it helps with getting the swelling down, but I never realized how good it would feel. I had bought an ice wrap for my leg. But after surgery, hubby went out and bought more ice pack refills, so we could rotate them and keep ice on my leg almost 24/7. I think icing is my new best friend.
How the pain meds would affect my body- constipation, nausea, loopiness, sleepiness, lack of appetite.
How hard this recovery would be on my hubby. He was in charge of making sure I got my meds at the right time, even throughout the night, which meant his sleep was disturbed as well.
Before surgery, I concentrated on learning all I could about the surgery: i.e. Anesthesia, catheter, length of hospital stay, etc. but I think I should have tried to learn more about the recovery and rehab. This web site is a great learning tool for this. We each have a different experience, but we can learn a lot from others and what has worked for them. So when I start to get weepy and emotional, I know this is a common side effect, I don't need to dwell on it, this too will pass and I can get myself through it. What I am feeling at this moment is not indicative of who I am or how I will feel tomorrow.
Good luck as you start out on this journey. Expect it to be a long one. Be as prepared as possible. And learn from those who know it best.

Thanks OJ2. I know you will be feeling better soon. Good idea about focusing on recovery and rehab. I have had Rotator Cuff Surgery which is very painful with a long recovery. I think this is why I am so apprehensive. I'm praying it isn't that bad! I will go to same PT team, which is comforting.

I've had rotator cuff surgery also. The recovery from the knee replacement is much longer. It normally takes about a year before the healing if done. Of course, you will be using your knee much sooner than that, but it will fuss loudly if you do too much too soon!

I know the support here will help. Thank you, Sistersinhim.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks