Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

@mlwreader you may be correct that it’s a bruise from crawling on your knees. I’m finding that since I still have a significant numb patch, I can’t stand the feeling of kneeling down unless I have padding under my knee. I’m going to go buy some knee pads like construction workers wear for when I need to get work done around the house and yard which requires me to get down that low.

@NavyGunns I have the numb patches too, but when I knelt on the floor last week to deal with the cable, the knees really, really didn't like it at all and the right one really hurt. It was not a fun experience. I finally grabbed a pillow off the couch and was able to kneel ok on it. And the dang cable problem wasn't even mine as the whole blankety blank neighborhood was out for a bit. So all that crawling around in pain for nothing! Knee pads - good idea.

I've not been able to kneel for so many years that I've had to learn how to work around it. I have long handled scrubbers for the bathtub; I have a reacher/grabber to get things I need but can't get to. (It never fails that if I drop something it manages to land under the bed or sofa or table) I also went to all drawers in my lower cabinets in the kitchen and bath. The under sink kitchen cabinet has a pull out trash can and a pull out storage container. I can't clean that cabinet base so hubby gets the honor. We're also converting all our 4x4 garden beds to stand-up beds, and so on. I think if I had to kneel, I'd use several firm pillows, or maybe even try the Lounge Doctor, as I think it would give enough to cushion my knee while not giving so much that I hit the floor like I would with just a pillow. But it might be too firm to work well for kneeling. I've tried all manner of knee pads and knee cushions, and none of them worked-it was just too uncomfortable. I've had to learn some things just have to wait until hubby gets home to do them since I can't. Or, if it can't wait, I'll go ask my wonderful neighbor for help-but that rarely happens. We have to learn new ways to do things with these darn knees; I hate it but it's reality.

In the much ado about nothing category, I can report (thankfully) that the red area on my right knee is completely gone, and all that is left is a darkish brownish/yellowish area that is fading, confirming that the knee must have gotten a bruise when I was crawling around on it last week.

@lovetocookandsew I wonder if you'll be able to kneel once your knees have healed. I think SusieShoes said she can do it now. I am not going to attempt it in the future without a cushion. Even though I am at almost a year post-op I still have some residual tenderness. Given how bad my knees were prior to surgery, this does not surprise me. I was thinking back last night, and my knees first started to complain when I was in my early 50's. I never sought treatment or help or a diagnosis for them until two years ago. I had so many other health problems that the knees never seemed to be a priority. I just ignored the pain until I couldn't ignore it any more.

I am noticing that some of my right knee issues re: slight swelling and discomfort on the stairs are starting to improve. I am coming up on a year post btkr, and I am beginning to think I am going to be one of the ones who may not achieve full recovery by one year, but who will continue to improve for months past that milestone date. I have an appointment next Tuesday for my one year follow up, and it is with a surgeon who did not perform the original btkr last year. I am seeing him because I have moved out of state, and want to establish a relationship with an orthopedic doctor where I am currently living. I will ask this new doctor about the right knee lingering issues, and am hoping to be reassured that all is well. I feel as though that is the case, so I feel optimistic. I truly cannot believe an entire year has gone by. I will post an update after I see this new doctor next week.

Meanwhile, would admin kindly change my thread title to making good progress at one year post btkr? Thanks so much, as always.

I love the new picture and yes, we’ll get your title changed.

It will be interesting to hear what a different surgeon will have to say, even though you’ve had a good recovery.

It’ll be almost like getting a second opinion even though you don’t really need one. :snork:

My knees were both doing well at nine months, then a year — with Lefty lagging by a good few months — and still I’ve noticed even more improvement in the last four months. It’s kind of amazing still to have these new knees that keep getting better, instead of worse.

Hope you like the new surgeon!

with Lefty lagging by a good few months — and still I’ve noticed even more improvement in the last four months. I

@SusieShoes Up until about six or seven months, my lefty was my problem child. Then the roles reversed, and lefty is doing great, no swelling or discomfort on stairs. Righty picked up where lefty left off (sorry :heehee:) and started having trouble going up stairs and maintaining some swelling. Nothing drastic, I just had to help myself up the stairs with the railing because of righty. So anyway, interesting that they switched places. . . or not. (interesting, that is) (I still find all things knee replacement interesting. I still come on bonesmart and catch up with folks and read newbies' posts too.)

Thank you @Jockette and @SherrieT re: the photo. It's a new "do" and new glasses, and since its a new year too, I thought I'd update my photo. I had complete sticker shock from the price of the glasses, it was the frames, but I liked them so much and I usually go a couple of years at least with glasses so I went for it. I had been having double vision problems for a while and it was getting worse, but this new eye doctor knew exactly how to fix it with adding prisms to my prescription. No more double vision for me! What a relief, I had to sit watching tv with one hand over one eye. Ugh.

but this new eye doctor knew exactly how to fix it with adding prisms to my prescription.
My husband has some double vision at times and he got prism glasses last year also (after numerous heavy duty medical test to be sure it wasn’t anything serious, it wasn’t) His has not totally cleared up. He usually only sees double when he’s outside and looking up at an angle, like at an airplane or those street signs that hang over the road.

His has not totally cleared up. He usually only sees double when he’s outside and looking up at an angle

@Jockette After reading this post I experimented, and my double vision stays gone when looking up and sideways. However, it is probably because my lenses in my new glasses are large, and there is very little peripheral vision on the sides, and virtually none at the top. Just a thought. I just wonder why my San Clemente eye doctor never thought to mention prism lenses to me. She just told me that the condition was a result of aging, and there were no exercises that could help it. And she told me that three years running at each annual eye exam!

My husband was sent to a neurologist for an MRI of his head to rule out serious causes.

Our local eye doctors don’t do prisms, we had to go to a busier area an hour away to a dr that does.

He still sees 2 of some airplanes, even with the prisms. No double vision in the house, though.

i'm sure you both were very relieved that the MRI results were good. I'm happy for you that a pair of new glasses was all that was necessary. :)

I would just love it if someone would change the title of my thread to "one year out and making good progress". Pretty please. Second request. Thank you so much.

I will put it through again. I’m sorry it didn’t get done. Not all of us advisors have the capability to do it.

@Jockette - I didn't know whether to ask again and act like it was the first time, or ask again and politely say second request, or just leave it as is - my mind is a dangerous place sometimes. :rotfl: Anyway, no need to apologize. Technology. I just want to shout I'm so excited about the one year mark. :happydance:

Congrats on your one year knee-versary! It's funny how our knees sometimes play games with us. I remember how on my six-month post-op trip to see family last year it was Righty who acted up, not Lefty. Where did that come from? I'll never know. They do occasionally get a twinge, one knee or the other, but it's no longer predictably Lefty. I think they just kind of even out over time? :shrug: In any event, as long as the progress is forward, right?

I'm glad you're hanging around and still helping others. When I was pre-op and reading threads to glean information, I really enjoyed seeing posts from "recovered" folks. They gave me so much hope.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom