Revision TKR Third and final surgery all done

Is there anyone out there that could address the post I sent yesterday regarding the apparent misalignment of my new knee, not the narcotic last post.??

Is there anyone out there that could address the post I sent yesterday regarding the apparent misalignment of my new knee,
Hello all, it is four weeks today on my second knee. The swelling definitely has decreased some but I am really really concerned about the angle of my leg. It definitely looks over corrected and when I walk I can tell it is not a normal heel to toe strike.
I am striking on the left outer heel and then heading to the big toe on that left foot., A diagonal line, not the heel to toe straight line as in the other leg. You can also see that the angle is off. I feel as if my left hip was slightly internally rotated, and then the lower leg was attached at an angle outward to the side. This makes me pronate more on that foot.
When I saw my surgeon two weeks ago he said he thought it was from Excess swelling and wanted me to see him again in four weeks which is now in two weeks. I have had lots of moments of crying about this since I had such bowed legs before surgery, and really was hoping for straight legs as the first one is.

I think it would be best if we ask @Josephine to look at this.

However, she will probably need a full-length picture of both your legs, one that shows the entire length of your legs, from hips to feet. To make it easier for her, try to wear shorts for the photo.

I will see if we can manage to send a photo for Josephine. I'm not quite sure how to do that though. I am on an iPad.

Yes, a photo would help but you'd need somebody else to take it for you. In fact I can think of two views that would help.

1. as Celle described, fully leg length of both legs like so
legs.JPG

2. your view of your feet as you look down on them - just knees and feet.

My husband said that tomorrow we can take a photo of the two views that you want, with his phone, and send it to an email address. That is the only way we know how to do this. Please give me an email address to send this to, Or please advise otherwise.

Do you have a computer or a laptop? If so, ask your husband to email the photo to you (or him) on that?
Then save the photo to your computer/laptop and follow these instructions:
Uploading a Picture in a Post

Hello, I had my first TKR on June 19 this year, and my second one on September 13. Four months out on the first one and five weeks out on the second one.

My first knee seems like it has been out about 90° or so for several weeks. Just doesn't want to change but then I think there is still moderate swelling involved.

Recently though I think the swelling has been decreasing a little and I have noticed an Ability to get a little more functional range of motion with a few things. Also a little less painful to. So when I went to PT last week, which I do occasionally go. I felt I was ready to push it A little more on that four-month knee. It is a machine that you sit in and bend the knee, and it holds it in position for as long as you want to, then let's go.

It didn't feel terrible but was very tight and uncomfortable but I pushed it some anyway. Since then, I realize it has swollen up a lot more again now. When I went to PT 4 days after that episode, I had lost 3 inches of flexion, bending. and I am still not recovered from that. Crazy Ha?

So now I know I can't rush this even a tiny bit. I swell easily and my knee just is going to take its time which is very frustrating to me. But it wins and I have to go with what it tells me. I honestly don't think most people have my seemingly exaggerated swelling problem.

Yesterday I went to my chiropractor to work on a back issue that has been aggravating lately, and talked to him about my knees also. He said I might benefit from contrast with heating then cold and repeating that three or four cycles in a session, daily. I tried it last night but now today it feels more swollen than before I did this. I has anyone else tried this to help stimulate swelling reduction? Any thoughts on this anyone?

Next week I see my surgeon regarding my apparent misalignment of my most recent knee. Josephine, I haven't sent any photos to you yet but likely will after I see my surgeon. It doesn't appear to me like it has changed much, maybe slight.

But I am still very discouraged about this and my chiropractor also agrees with me that if it is not straight, it can easily affect my foot and hip alignment too. I know that CELLE told me to give this time and wait and see what it ends up truly to be. I agree but it seems like a waste to let all of this heal up now, especially if I end up with another surgery.

This is such a long haul! Nothing like I expected! Four months so far of rehabbing is getting so old and is giving me back issues from laying down so much and other reasons too.

I guess I should have written this post on my own site instead of here. Is there anyway to switch it? I don't know how to do these technical things.

@kayow11 - you will see that I have moved your two posts from doula's thread to your own thread.

As you later realised, by putting the above posts in her recovery thread, you were disrupting her thread, which should be about her own recovery.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day. If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

@kayow11 yes you shouldn't post in other people's threads as it can end up derailing it. I suggest you read this Forum etiquette: being polite when posting to see how it's done!

So you can see I have moved your posts into a thread of your own which should now be where you post about your own surgery. This doesn't mean you can't post in other people's threads so long as you don't derail them.

@kayow11 - as you can see, Josephine also moved the posts that were in the wrong thread.
Please be careful to post about your own recovery only in your own recovery thread.
If you post elsewhere, you make extra work for staff.

It's OK to post in other people's threads, as long as it is to help and encourage them. You can even tell them about something you found has helped you, but any questions about your own recovery should be in your own thread.

I am sorry for the confusion and extra work I caused you, Josephine and Celle. My original intention was just to share with Doula, how forcing range of motion even 4 months out, backfired on me and also to share how each person's knees have their own time frame and we can't do anything to change it.

I did read the forum etiquette, and completely agree with all that. I am a respectful person and practice manners with all things in my own life, but again, this was totally accidental.

After I had made my point, I went off on a tangent with my own current problem. And then when I got done explaining it all, I realized I had told my story and it was on someone else's thread. That is when I asked for help to switch yet. It sure won't happen again.

I have so much to learn about computers and forums and all the little ends and outs of it. There is so much I haven't tapped into yet even on this forum.

But I have been very thankful for the help many of you have given in assisting me with problem-solving and information on my issues.

My apologies to you Doula, for not using your thread appropriately, despite that it was purely unintentional.

I will look up the link that shows how to change the title of my thread since I do want to do that.

Here's the article about changing your thread title:
Changing your thread title

If you find you can't do it, just post what you would like your thread title to be and we can change it for you.

Your post tells an important story, @kayow11. Your experience is one @Doula1st will find meaningful, and might also spare her some of what you went through so unnecessarily.

You’re not alone in finding forums confusing. I’m still learning how to use this one’s many features!

Thanks Susie shoes for your encouraging words. I felt really embarrassed and scolded about messing up on the last post but I do understand.

Thanks Celle for your link on how to change my thread title. Will likely speak up again when I see the surgeon next week.

I have really benefited from all the great info on this forum along with many peoples opinions, advice, and experiences, so I want to continue referring to this forum.

This is an ongoing issue. Sure hope there is a good outcome to all this . It has been very discouraging and disheartening at times just to go through surgery recovery but then to have an apparent alignment problem is very hard to bear. I want to cry every time I think of possibly needing another surgery to correct this.

Celle, at one point a while back you told me to just wait and give this lots of time and see what I end up with. Do you have any idea of time frame? It seems kind of crazy to let it go too long and more and more healing and then have to redo something. But yet, I understand that I don't want to jump into this either. I can't assume for sure that I will need another surgery but I would like to have an idea of how long do I wait? Hopefully the surgeon will have some advice on this also.

Thank you Kayow11. I will keep reading all these yo gain some insight.

There are 2 different philosophies on recovery and it makes it very confusing and a little rebellious to think about going against the "mainstream" thinking.

Celle, at one point a while back you told me to just wait and give this lots of time and see what I end up with. Do you have any idea of timeframe.?? It seems kind of crazy to let it go too long and more and more healing, and then have to redo something. But yet, I understand that I don't want to jump into this either. I can't assume for sure that I will need another surgery but I would like to have an idea of how long do I wait? Hopefully the surgeon will have some advice on this also.
It's only a few weeks since you had your surgery, so I wouldn't rush into doing anything yet. Do talk to your surgeon and see what he thinks. He may suggest something like reviewing the leg at 6 months, when all your soft tissues will have settled down a lot.

@Doula1st - yes, it can be confusing, but there are many theories about how to rehab a knee. Almost every surgeon has a few variations.
My surgeon (and the other surgeons in his group) doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself. No one works hard at exercises and no one develops adhesions (bad scar tissue).

I felt really embarrassed and scolded about messing up on the last post but I do understand.
Please don't worry about it. We don't mean to scold, but we do have to give you an explanation - and hopefully if they read the explanation, other people won't make the same mistake.

We know it's not easy learning the protocols of a new forum, so we do have this area, that has a lot of articles about "How to . . . " do various things:
How To Use This Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram