Revision THR Second times a charm?

Day 8: Setback day. I tried taking my GSD for his morning pee. I was trying to give my wife a break. While going down my outside stairs with a cane in one hand and Max’s leash in the other I suddenly felt a great amount of pain in my hip. I then noticed I had turned my whole led inward, a no-no, according to PT, one of the big three. I felt like I was about to fall down the rest of the stairs which thankfully didn’t happen. Thankfully Max was following his command to “wait” at the top of the stairs. I managed to regain my balance and let him do his business. I got back inside, recieved my proper scolding from Pennie, and am iced up in the lazy boy. I just got up and did my business with the assistance of my walker. The thigh muscle is certainly been strained and is significantly more sore than it was this morning when I first got up. Lessened learned? We’ll see.

Also my Prevena bandage continues to do its thing. I thought it was suppose to release after 7 days.

@Sockeyewillie Ouch! Sorry to hear about you straining your leg this morning ... hopefully the icing will help with that. And Bravo to your GSD for being such a good and patient friend. :puppysmooze: As for the bandage .... it will most likely release itself when it has finished doing it's work.... if not today then soon.

My Prevena just released. I removed the pressure strip and the wound looks good.

@Sockeyewillie Ouch - new hips hate any twisting. Rest, ice and elevate. Temporary setback. I think it's great your GSD waited for you. I trained a GSD for years - such loyal dogs!

Sorry to read of your setback. I hope you experience speedy relief.
Lots of ice and rest should help.
@Sockeyewillie

I’ve been icing all day in the lazy boy and experiencing the most pain since leaving the OR. It feels like I strained my IT band. I’ll continue with the ice and pain meds through night. I expect I’ll feel better tomorrow.

Day 9: After a day of fear and worry, icing, elevation, and pain meds I’m feeling much better this morning. It’s interesting how much worry and doubt can creep in after the last 3 years experiences. But today is a new day and I’m feeling encouraged.

:wave: @Sockeyewillie

Oh My Stars, you have had quite the journey.
Congrats on the weight loss and that positive outlook will get you through these tough bits.
I will admit that I mostly forget about my new hips now UNTIL anything aches, pulls ... KNEE , Toe, Every thing becomes about the fake hips.
Have to remind myself I might have these issues come up sans BTHR.
I'm sure after having to undergo a revision (something I would like to avoid if possible) any perceived setback feels like bad Mojo.
Recovery does have its ups and downs...even great ones.
So keep the faith, hippy pal.

Day 10: I’m happy to report that the Day 8 setback was nothing more than that. Other than the prescribed Celebrex I am no longer requiring any pain medication. My mobility is increasing every day and I am exclusively on my cane. I suspect I will be cane free soon after my Friday follow up with my OS. I am still being extremely cautious after the day 8 experience but working on strength and stability. I have another week with home PT and I’m thinking about canceling my outpatient PT and working on building up my walking stamina so Max and I can get back to our regular routine. That’s it for now.

Great news you recovered from the twist!
Those frightening set-backs certainly remind us of our weakened state. It sounds like you handled it very well, bounced back quickly and are back on track. Happy Memorial weekend, Sockeyewillie!
I hope it's a good one. :)
@Sockeyewillie

I’m thinking about canceling my outpatient PT and working on building up my walking stamina so Max and I can get back to our regular routine.
Good plan! Hips don't need all that PT - walking is the best exercise for a healing hip. Since your goal is to get back on the trail with Max I think focusing on gradually building stamina and strength is a great idea.

Day 11: Not much different to report. Took Max out for a brief walk to do his business. I’m so glad he listens to his commands and recognizes that I’m not my normal self.

I have a question. I have noticed today when I get up to move, a fairly sharp pain at the outside middle of my thigh. It’s most painful upon rising but after a trip upstairs to the bathroom a return to my living room it subsides significantly. It’s new today and I suspect it’ll be gone tomorrow. Does it sound like IT band?

Day 12: In home PT visit today. Confirmed IT band is where my pain is. Applied kenesio tape and massage. Agrees walking and some easy stretching will be the best PT. Strength training unimportant until full recovery from surgery. I’m really please with her approach.

I know it, right! I’m canceling my outpatient PT. My insurance allows me to continue in home so I’m sticking with her for awhile. At least until I’m comfortable with my recovery enough to follow recommendations at home. Questions come up every day so until they don’t.

Day 13: Not much to report today. Everything feels pretty good. Stretching, Walking, resting, Icing. Trying to teach myself something with the time away from work. Took Max for a walk today, he really seems to respect the cane. Dogs are so intuitive aren’t they. I can’t wait to get him up a 4000 footer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back