THR Second THR in December; First in Oct

BrokenBeaker

Country
United States United States
I had Righty replaced in mid-October. In my opinion it was very successful. I did a few weeks of outpatient physical therapy which was massively helpful. There is no way I would have progressed as far as I did if it were not for PT.

On December 9th, I had Lefty replaced.

There was more malformation with the femoral head area so apparently required a bit more work. I slept through it. But the surgery was longer, and I assume a bit more blood loss and muscle/tendon stretching so this hip is very sore. It feels like it is all muscle, which is probably a good thing, and I have almost no strength at all in moving it. In fact I'm almost dragging it around a bit as it is too weak to properly lift.

I'm not even one day out, so hopefully things will improve. The surgeon said it all should work out well but may need to be patient with my recovery and exercises.

:welome:Welcome to recovery…again! :wave:
Actually it’s like one long recovery since, Righty, is still so new. Glad to read all is good with your RTHR. I hope you’re able to ice and your meds allow you to rest comfortably as you begin healing again. I’ll leave a copy of the Recovery Guidelines on this thread also. Wishing you lots of comfort!

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Sounds like we were on the same schedule! My first was Oct. 27 and second one Dec.10. I definitely agree that this one seems a bit more sore than the first one. My scenario involved lengthening the second leg in this surgery to even them out. I woke up from surgery with horrific back pain. Probably from all of the manipulating on the table. Ice on the operated leg and heating pad on lower back seem to be helping some. I did about 4 sessions PT during the last 2 weeks and I agree that helped to get me ready as well. I plan to do several sessions in few weeks as well to work on gait training. Insurance of course is completely maxed with out of pocket so I'm going to try to utilize PT until end of December. Getting around with walker seems a bit harder after this one and a great deal of pain/ effort to accomplish. Hopefully we can be back in the swing of things and more mobile soon. Since we are basically dealing with the same scenario please keep me posted on things that have helped in your recovery and I will do the same! The main advice that seems to work for me is ICE, ICE, ICE!

Getting around with walker seems a bit harder after this one and a great deal of pain/ effort to accomplish.

It is brutal for me! I've basically been in my recliner all through the day, and when I need to use the restroom getting on the walker is crazy hard. It takes the wind out of me. It feels like I ran a marathon. Well, not that I know what running a marathon feels like, but I can use my imagination.

Anyhow, I get exhausted shuffling around on the walker. I'm now approaching the end of Day 2 and it was incrementally better today, but not like a 'good' day either.

I think my legs are the same length as the surgeon spent a great deal of time pre-op talking about making them even. In the seemingly few seconds I saw him post-op (plus drugged out of my gourd) it seemed like he grabbed my feet to see if they were even.
But. . . when I stand it feels like my left (i.e. new one) is a bit longer, but my quadriceps are so screwed up, I can't properly straighten my leg. Either it is bent out a little, or I hyperextend my knee - so basically going backwards. I can't stand straight on the operated leg.

Ice is key. Ice is my friend. My wife went to the convenience store and bought a 20lb bag of it instead of running our fridge's ice maker empty.

Hi @BrokenBeaker
I’m sorry you’re feeling so drained. You've been through a lot. Two major surgeries within less than two months. It’s no wonder you feel exhausted.

I loved ice too, any time I was sitting or laying down (often, initially) I was icing. I felt it helped immensely. Hopefully you’re able to sleep well and maybe even squeeze in a nap or two during the day. I wish you comfort and a good nights sleep. Update when you’re able, we’d love to support you as you’re healing.

Today was shockingly rough. My first hip they used a nerve block that seemed to last for several days. This different type they used yesterday wore off at approximately 4:30 am. The struggle to even push myself up to stand upright is crazy and forget about full weight bearing on that leg! I work in the medical field so the shortness of breath just getting around the house scares the **** out of me! I don't want a pulmonary embolism. None of this happened with the first one. I see a lot of bruising as well this go around. I sure am glad though that the first one went as smoothly as it did because if this one had been performed first I'm not 100% convinced I would have shown up for the second surgery I think we will see the light at the end of the tunnel in a few days but I'm with you! This sucks!

Very sorry about what your going thru . Call the doc and ask what he can do to keep you comfortable. Taking pain meds is important and to stay ahead of the pain. No reason to be in any pain at this stage at all.

Ask about meds for embolisms. I was given a injection using a injection pen to apply meds in stomach to prevent them. Some docs supply socks. We’re you not supplied with compression socks to wear? There is a pump available battery operated which applies a gentle pressure around the leg to keep up the blood flow and oxygen. They are available on Amazon. They are plastic the wraps are fillEd with air and wrap around the legs and have a control tube hooked into each sleeve wrapped around the leg to apply pressure on/off at intervals . Helps relieve the pain in leg. Also using lots of ice Helps the pain.

Everyone is different when responding to nerve blocks. Sometime it’s a issue with the the doc not getting enough info ahead of time . Did you have a pre med done for this surgery? Usually blood tests heart monitor helps set the approval for surgery.

You wrote your in the medical field what do you do? Hopefully you will get help to allow you comfort and relief soon.

when I stand it feels like my left (i.e. new one) is a bit longer
Nearly every new hippie feels this leg length difference. I most cases the feeling just fades with time. Muscle atrophy, tendons may not be as flexible just pre-op. Just give all this time. Patience prescribed in large doses!

when I stand it feels like my left (i.e. new one) is a bit longer
Nearly every new hippie feels this leg length difference. I most cases the feeling just fades with time. Muscle atrophy, tendons may not be as flexible just pre-op. Just give all this time. Patience prescribed in large doses!

When I sit or lay down, I can look at my knees and the crevices and bits and parts and they seem to line up. I still have so little control on my operated muscles it's hard to be objective. I think I'm good, it just all still fells like a wreck.

Today was shockingly rough. My first hip they used a nerve block that seemed to last for several days. This different type they used yesterday wore off at approximately 4:30 am. The struggle to even push myself up to stand upright is crazy and forget about full weight bearing on that leg! I work in the medical field so the shortness of breath just getting around the house scares the **** out of me! I don't want a pulmonary embolism. None of this happened with the first one. I see a lot of bruising as well this go around. I sure am glad though that the first one went as smoothly as it did because if this one had been performed first I'm not 100% convinced I would have shown up for the second surgery I think we will see the light at the end of the tunnel in a few days but I'm with you! This sucks!
That sounds rough!

I had a spinal that wore off shortly after surgery so I didn't have that problem. I'm hoping all the best!

A few updates.

This is starting Day 5 post-op.

I feel like I am 2 days behind my recovery curve compared to my first surgery. Every day is a bit better - except for the first two which were basically like no progress. I have been able to do most of the basic exercises given to me by the surgical center. The one I basically still can't do is the heel slide: laying on the back and sliding the heel toward the bum into a sit-up type position, then sliding it back down.

I have virtually no strength in my quadriceps.

However, I can stand supported against something for a bit longer. For example, able to wash some dishes. I have been able to sit in my office chair, albeit it reclined back, so that adds to the number of locations in my home I can ambulate to.

The numbness around my incision and drainage port thing is still major. Meaning there is a fair amount of surface area on my outer leg that I can't feel and when I sit, it sort of feels like I'm sitting on something, but I'm not. I did have some weird numbness from my previous surgery that took weeks to recover from, and there are still certain numb part on that area.

It is better each day, just slow

The one I basically still can't do is the heel slide: laying on the back and sliding the heel toward the bum into a sit-up type position, then sliding it back down.

Hey there BB,
You could try the heel slide by placing a plastic bag underneath your heel to make it easier. It may feel like cheating, but it will put your leg through the motion if it bothers you not being able to do it.

Numbness - in my experience it lasted longer than a “weeks”, more like a few months slowly shrinking over time.

Check out the Activity Progression For THR under No. 5 in the Recovery Guidelines and consider using it as a rough gauge. I found it helpful.
It’s such early days for you, also taking into consideration that you experienced this two months ago with your right hip. It sounds like you’re progressing nicely!
I hope your week is a peaceful one. :)

The one I basically still can't do is the heel slide: laying on the back and sliding the heel toward the bum into a sit-up type position, then sliding it back down.

You might have a bit of "log leg" happening. Your nerves that talk to your quads are just not working correctly yet. I had a terrible time with the heel slides for my first hip.

You might have a bit of "log leg" happening. Your nerves that talk to your quads are just not working correctly yet. I had a terrible time with the heel slides for my first hip.
Log Leg!

Nice. First time I've heard that, but I think that is basically what was happening. I'm starting Day 6 post-op. I was finally able to do some heel slides last night, Day 5. In comparison when I had my first one done a few months back, I was able to do all of the exercises on Day 2. It was difficult, but doable. I'm several days behind the recovery curve.

My leg 100% felt like a log for the first two days. I kept asking my wife if the doctor said something in recovery if something was wrong. I kept saying for the first couple of days that something had to be wrong as it just didn't work right. I've since gotten over that.

I can feel now that my quads are just super tight. Going to get back to my exercises. I have a follow-up on the 23rd and hope I can start out-patient PT the week after that.

Welcome to the no 2 hips are alike club! I didn't have mine done as close together as you did but I had similar experience as you with the differences between the 2 hips. My left had no problems doing leg lifts the day after surgery, my right could not move. Hard not to compare the 2 but in the end it all works out over time. I see you had SCFE also, both of mine were bad with the left being the worst.

My leg 100% felt like a log for the first two days. I kept asking my wife if the doctor said something in recovery if something was wrong. I kept saying for the first couple of days that something had to be wrong as it just didn't work right. I've since gotten over that.

Following is an explanation for the heaviness we often refer to here as Log Leg.

The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

I hope you have a great rest of the week. :)

I'm 17 days post-op.

I did my 2 week follow-up a few days back, and everything is as it should be.

I'm still notably weak and lack flexibility on my new hip. It's still trending behind what my recovery looked like earlier. In fact may have taken a step backwards as I was using a cane for a few days (about 12 days post-op I started to transition), but I'm using the walker as my gait on the cane wasn't really looking too good.

I have a prescription for out-patient physical therapy, so going to get that scheduled as soon as I can.

Anyhow, the prognosis is still good, albeit just moving a bit slower than I hoped.

It's still trending behind what my recovery looked like earlier.

Hello BB,
Keep in mind, that you experienced two major surgeries within less than two months. Your body was already in healing mode from the previous controlled trauma it sustained going into this surgery and recovery. Also, I know you’ve heard this before, but just a friendly reminder that no two recoveries are alike, even for the same person. It’s still very early days and you’re doing great!

I hope you had a nice Christmas and continue to enjoy steady progress.
Two new hips for 2022, awesome! :happydance:
@BrokenBeaker

:wave:Hey BB,
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Righty and a belated Happy One Month, Lefty!
I hope you’re starting out the 2022 in a good place looking forward to all of the activity you’ll be enjoying once again with those new hips. Let us know how PT’s going once you have a few sessions under your belt.
Until then, all the best to you!
@BrokenBeaker

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88