THR Second THR has been harder than the first

Pj1961

Country
Australia Australia
It's only six days postoperative THR on my right hip but my experience is very different from the THR left hip I had in August last year. I realise it's early days, but I have more significant pain around my knee. The pain around my hip is about the same as what I remember. Doing the six 5-minutes of walking each day has proven much more challenging. My left leg appears to be somewhat "wasted" despite doing pre-op exercises. The THR last year was such a positive experience. The OS said the sore knee is probably a result of using the knee as a fulcrum () and should settle with time. The physio thinks I need to build muscles up to support both my knee and hip. I feel as though I'm overthinking at best; or a tad neurotic at worst Also, I have advanced degeneration in the patella femoral joint on the right leg.

Last edited:
Hi, Welcome back! Congratulations on your new hip.
I'm sorry you're having a tougher time than you did with your first surgery. Hopefully things level out soon. It is known that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person.

I'm sure you're aware that the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process which may very well be what's causing your pain. Ice your knee right along with any other painful areas you're icing. The forum Nurse, Josephine, recommends icing for no less than 40-60 mins each time you ice. It should help with the pain and swelling.

Please re-familiarize yourself with the Recovery Guidelines below. Take notice of the Big Tip toward the bottom. Another helpful article is the Activity Progression for THR.

Stop back often, we'd love to offer support and encouragement as you move forward.
I hope you have a peaceful day!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Pj1961

:hi: Sorry that knee is causing you such distress!
The physio thinks I need to build muscles up to support both my knee and hip.
No time soon I hope!

It's only six days postoperative THR
Exactly!
Please give things time to recoup from all the trauma incurred.
Healing vibes coming your way!:angel:

Thank so much @Mojo333 and @Layla for your kindness and encouragement. My expectation of this recovery was based on the success of the one last year. It's good to be reminded that I need to start from scratch again and that's it's still so early. I've gone back to the recovery graph and info and feel much less upset about the sore knee (even though it's still sore)
I've appreciated having access to the wealth of info on BoneSmart. Thanks again.

Hello @Pj1961. I also was surprised at how much pain I had in my knee post op. It persisted at varying degrees for the first few weeks. Pretty normal/common I was also told by my ortho clinicians. I’m 11 weeks out and just now feel like everything is finally settling down and the pain is low to nonexistent. That just happened in the last couple of days and that is very different from many others’ experiences but it was mine. I embrace that because I finally have what this was all about-my life back. You know what I’m talking about, obviously. Hang in there, ice, elevate, and medicate. We’re here for you.:) :-) (: :ice:

Hi @Pj1961! :wave:I had my 2nd hip done 5 years after my first but I still expected the same outcome in recovery. About the only thing that was the same was the incision! :heehee: My knee and ankle/foot were really swollen for the first 3 weeks. I had to do a lot of icing and elevating before I saw any improvement. My thigh/hip muscles had really deteriorated before I had surgery but I was able to work through that with no PT, just walking. You're only at 7 days post-op so it's best to just ice and elevate, quick walks to the bathroom, etc. The best thing to ease your mind, is never compare the first hip to the second hip------strange, right? But your hips are completely different from a surgical stand point. Also it's best to not compare your recovery with others. We are all so different! Wishing you a restful recovery!!! :flwrysmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary to Righty!
I hope you're doing well.
Please leave an update, we'd love to read about your progress since you last posted.
Hope you have a great week!
@Pj1961

@Pj1961, I bet you never figured you'd finally be at one month!!! Yes, please update how you're doing, we all care about you and wishing you the best. Hope all is going well! :SUNsmile:

So it's now five weeks since my TRHR and I'm happy with my progress.
I'm still using a walking stick but have been able to walk for 30 minutes non-stop each day this week (albeit on flat ground) and on one day even achieved 10,000 (total) steps for the day.
I'm continuing with the physio exercises but have been mainly focused on the walking.
The concern I had with my knee postoperatively has settled. The bruising and swelling have subsided and the pain has gradually diminished, although hasn't gone completely. Once I'm driving again (next week) I will see my own physio who will, hopefully, guide me on how best to strengthen the muscles that will help support my knee. I also hope to be back at the gym where I have access to an exercise bike.
My scar is healing well but I did have a nasty incident a couple of weeks ago when a huge gust of wind blew the car door as I was getting into the passenger side. The door slammed into me so hard it knocked me off my feet and I smashed into the edge of the rear door - right on the scar. Ouch!!! It's been very tender to touch since.
I have my follow up x-Ray and see the OS in two weeks so I'll mention it to him then.
Otherwise, I feel very well. Apart from my initial concern regarding my knee, I have felt this second hip replacement has been very straight forward and I've certainly been much less anxious and nervous than I was with the first.
Thank you @Layla and @SE Florida For your support and advice.

Hello :wave: Happy Friday to you!
Wonderful progress you're making. It's great to read that your knee issue has settled.
The incident with the car door sounds very painful, I'm so sorry :console2:
You'll have to let us know how your appointment goes in two weeks.
Until then...enjoy! You're doing great. :)
@Pj1961

@Pj1961, It sounds like you're doing great except for the danged car door! :groan: That sounds like something that would happen to me! Definitely mention it to your OS when you go and the new x-rays should relieve your mind as well. I would imagine that area would be pretty sore after that! You may want to put ice on it too, that may help with the tenderness. Have a good weekend and let us know how your appt goes! :flwrysmile:

Lots of improvement to come...hope your weekend is restful and restorative!

:wave: Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope you're having a good week so far.
Best wishes as you continue your recovery! :)
@Pj1961

Last edited:
I hear you with the differences in hips.
While my right hip had zero cartilage, my hospital stay was longer, they used staples. My left hip started to complain 2 weeks later. I had the left hip done 11 months later. They used a superpath technique. I was only in the hospital overnight. No restrictions! They used glue, and stitches. My incision split after I took the bandage off.(blood everywhere, and a 5 hour wait in ER) I got anemia, snapping hip, bursitis...this has been the hip from hell. I wish you well on your recovery.

Last edited:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Stopping by to say Hi and see how your recovery is going.
We haven't heard from you in awhile.
Next time you stop by please leave an update. We'd love to hear about your progress.
Wishing you all the best!
@Pj1961

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks