THR Second THR complete!

Just a quick report on international travel with a THR vs. USA travel.

As usual, the metal detector (as noted before, I have TSA PreCheck) detected the hips. Also as usual, I opted for the extra screening/'vigorous' patdown in San Francisco. And vigorous it was... I feel I'm owed dinner from all the contact. To their credit, though, they were courteous and professional. They also did not make me wait very long.

As I was departing Seoul at Incheon airport, where they only have metal detectors, I also set off the alarms. The gentleman on the other side motioned me over, told me he needed to give me an extra patdown. It lasted 30 seconds, covered most territory, and was also professional and courteous without being vigorous or as invasive.

It was a great trip - hips held up. Leg muscles also did good - getting stronger every day. Walking around the city I averaged about 5 miles a day while there, even on those days I had to work. Took advantage of all of the free time that I had to see what I could. Great city!

IMG_9304.jpg
IMG_9330.jpg
IMG_9407.jpg
IMG_9430.jpg

:wave:Great pictures..how beautiful.
So happy to see your post and know that things are going well!:yes:

As usual, the metal detector (as noted before, I have TSA PreCheck) detected the hips. Also as usual, I opted for the extra screening/'vigorous' patdown in San Francisco. And vigorous it was... I feel I'm owed dinner from all the contact.

That is hilarious! :rotfl:

Just returned from domestic travel myself.
Leaving home:
Sniffing dogs, shoes off, no buzzing set off by hip, quick pat down of clavicle area and my outstretched arms.

Departing travel destination for home: (via TSA pre-check)
No dogs in sight, never removed shoes, no buzzing set off by hip, no pat down.

Security certainly varies from location to location.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Glad you enjoyed your time in China and were able to walk as you did without pain.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@dlp

Security certainly varies from location to location.

For sure - I was in Philadelphia once many years ago, and a pack of Wrigley's Spearmint gum with the foil wrappers set off their metal detectors. They guy was like "are you sure your pockets are empty" - then he sees the gum in my shirt pocket. Didn't even think about it, as it didn't happen in Toledo the very same week. Doh!

That's crazy.
Who knew? I'd never imagine that from a gum wrapper. :shrug:

Howdy all - been a while since I've written anything in this thread. Time flies! Made it to Hawaii in April and Vegas a few weeks ago... I'll add a few pics to the thread in case anyone is interested.

Just wanted to post an update now that I'm just about 1.5 years out from my right THR. While things have generally gone super great, I've developed a minor issue over the past few months that I've finally gotten identified.

Seems that I am dealing with a mild case of "coxa saltans", also known as "snapping hip".

From the above link, my case mostly falls under the "The iliopsoas tendon can also snap over a total hip arthroplasty (THA) and may be the cause of pain after THA in up to 4.3% of patients" - minus the pain part. It doesn't hurt at all, it just feels weird and at times can make an audible noise. Still doing PT to fix all of the things that the bad hips did to me over the years, and decided it was time to get this looked at in case we started doing something that could aggravate it.

The irony is that my implant, the Stryker ADM X3, actually has a notch intended to account for this type of issue. Apparently, though, my right hip decided to prove that no 2 hips are created equal, and medical devices can't easily account for anything and everything nature has to offer.
Hero_JR_Hip_ADM.png.jpeg

My surgeon retired so I was being a little slow and cautious deciding who to see about this. Ended up seeing a new guy at the same practice as my previous surgeon, partially because he's younger than me and partially because I've been satisfied with the practice overall. Being younger, hopefully he'll still be around if I ever need another procedure ;)

Since I feel no pain, he sounded confident that proper stretching and whatnot should do the trick for a long time. And if not, there are surgical options to fix it.

Hi @dlp
Beautiful pics and I'm so glad you haven't had any pain with that snapping hip so you can enjoy your trips. :yes:
I have looked for your avatar ( hoped to see a Santa hat:) :-) (:)
I hope some targeted PT can help you resolve this...
Several members have had release surgery and at least one has the procedure planned.
The ones who have undergone the procedure seem to be doing very well, although they were also having lots of pain and were glad to be done with it.

I would be interested to know exactly what protocol will be assigned for this and how you manage it...please keep us appraised.

This kind of information keeps the site a great resource and first hand experiences are what drew me here.
Hope you have a good week.

Last edited:
Hi @Mojo333 - fixed the avatar for you :)

I'll update if anything changes. For now it's just massage and stretching. See how it feels and responds, then go from there. I will be talking with my physical therapist a bit more later this month to see if she has any specifics in mind.

As you note, first hand experiences hopefully help anyone dealing with this stuff. I know lurking here before my first surgery gave me some good info, so hopefully I'm paying it back in some way by posting. It's good for people to know the gotchas and things to look out for, but hopefully it's also helpful for people to read some mostly positive outcomes as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to avoid any surgery, but will do what I have to if/when the time comes.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Also, a few more pics. Forgot that I had a short trip to Seattle this year, too :)

Seattle:

(The infamous and *gross* gum wall)
gum_wall_heart .jpeg

DSC04152 .jpg

DSC03553 .jpg

IMG_3036.jpeg

Las Vegas:

IMG_3934.jpeg

IMG_3957.jpeg

IMG_3847.jpeg

IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_3805.jpeg

Hi, my favorite creepy Santa.:heehee:

Oh my stars...the Gum Wall...I suppose it's a testament to my character that this is the one that intrigues me most!
My brother lives in Seattle and I'm due for a trip...so it's on my sightseeing list now.

I do hope you continue to update...would actually like to know what particular stretches are involved...what if any repercussions or improvement it seems to make as you progress...etc.
Wishing you all the best for the holidays, my hippy friend.:banana-santa:

Glad you can go far and near! Love your pictures for the rest of us that are just doing arm chair travel.
May all your problems be small ones.

Sorry you're struggling a bit @dlp
With any luck, no additional surgery will be necessary. Please keep us posted.

I like the Santa hat update to your avatar. It becomes you, lol.
Thanks for sharing the pics, many pretty ones! That gum wall is gross :sick:
And...what is that object stuck in the earth in the very first photo?

Take it easy and enjoy the weekend! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Hi, my favorite creepy Santa.:heehee:

Oh my stars...the Gum Wall...I suppose it's a testament to my character that this is the one that intrigues me most!
My brother lives in Seattle and I'm due for a trip...so it's on my sightseeing list now.

I do hope you continue to update...would actually like to know what particular stretches are involved...what if any repercussions or improvement it seems to make as you progress...etc.
Wishing you all the best for the holidays, my hippy friend.:banana-santa:

Thanks! Definitely check out the gum wall. It's amazing in it's grossness, and amazing how many people actually go see it :)

It's just down the street a bit from Pike Place market, too. Some good sightseeing and poking around to be had there.

Glad you can go far and near! Love your pictures for the rest of us that are just doing arm chair travel.
May all your problems be small ones.

Thank you! Happy to share. I love seeing pics from places I've not been. Great to see the world in any way possible.

Sorry you're struggling a bit @dlp
With any luck, no additional surgery will be necessary. Please keep us posted.

I like the Santa hat update to your avatar. It becomes you, lol.
Thanks for sharing the pics, many pretty ones! That gum wall is gross :sick:
And...what is that object stuck in the earth in the very first photo?

Take it easy and enjoy the weekend! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Thanks - will definitely keep updating as things happen. Or even if things don't happen! Any news can be useful, I suppose :)

And yep - the gum wall is gross, yet fascinating to me!! Seattle power washed the original away a number of years ago. Seems since they did that, it's boosted the reputation and increased the number of people seeing it and leaving their gum behind.

As for the first pic, it's the top of a flip-flop buried deep in the dirt. No idea how it got there, or how it's survived there - but found it weirdly interesting, so snapped a pic. I wonder what happened to the other one!

:wave:
Belated:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: friend.

Wondering if you were feeling the PT/massage were making a noticeable difference to your young hippersnapper?
If so, do tell what type of exercises you have deemed helpful.

I hope 2020 is a great year for you!

And yep - the gum wall is gross, yet fascinating to me!! Seattle power washed the original away a number of years ago. Seems since they did that, it's boosted the reputation and increased the number of people seeing it and leaving their gum behind.

Hahaha! What's wrong with us? :rotfl:
A entire show was created over people's fascination with grossness, Dr Pimple Popper, ugh!!! :scaredycat: It's a tug of war between, I want to look, but I don't want to look, lol. Not even going to try connecting any of this nonsense to hip recovery.:heehee:
Cheers to a healthy, happy New Year! :cheers:
@dlp

:wave:
Belated:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: friend.

Wondering if you were feeling the PT/massage were making a noticeable difference to your young hippersnapper?
If so, do tell what type of exercises you have deemed helpful.

I hope 2020 is a great year for you!

Thanks! Hope your holiday has been great so far.

Basic massage has been helping. Just giving it a bit of massage/pressure every now and then (My physical therapist gives it a good going over during our bi-weekly appointments, too) along with making sure I just stretch the hip/leg so that things aren't so tight is really all it's needed. Surgeon says it could stay the same and never be a bigger issue, or it could require surgery. So hoping to keep on top of it by not being too sedentary, or ignoring that I need to pay a little attention to it even now and again.

Hahaha! What's wrong with us? :rotfl:
A entire show was created over people's fascination with grossness, Dr Pimple Popper, ugh!!! :scaredycat: It's a tug of war between, I want to look, but I don't want to look, lol. Not even going to try connecting any of this nonsense to hip recovery.:heehee:
Cheers to a healthy, happy New Year! :cheers:

Same to you! Sept. 2020 will be my 25th wedding anniversary... working on some plans to celebrate now.

Oh, and besides Dr. Pimple Popper, whom I love, allow me to introduce you to "The Toe Bro"! (Do NOT click if you can't stand feet and problems that happen to feet :loll:) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpCWvDDoumrtOUsV9p2A0Qg

Hi, friend and a belated :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: to you.

Wondering how you were and if there seems to be adequate improvement with the PT?
Certainly hope so.
Wonderfully warm in my neck of the woods but expecting rain today.:sad:
Just in time for the weekend when I'm allowed to go out and play. Aaarggh.

Oh, and besides Dr. Pimple Popper, whom I love, allow me to introduce you to "The Toe Bro"! (Do NOT click if you can't stand feet and problems that happen to feet

Ugh! I can't, I can't :bolt:
Twenty Five years is a great accomplishment. You better plan something special for your bride. Congrats to you a bit early.
Have a wonderful week!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom