BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Second one now

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Mollymax, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Got my date for my right knee replacement. It's 12th December. Not long now to wait

• Like Like x 1
  2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    That’s not a long wait at all! Are you excited? I know you were anxious before the first one. :friends:

3. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

@SusieShoes no its not long but the other knee is so bad it needs done. Yes excited in a way but already had to speak to the secretary about the fears creeping in again. She says it's all in my notes and they will try follow the same procedure as in getting me in the night before and being first if possible. The needles still terrify me.

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm glad you have a date for your second TKR, Molly.
    Of course you're going to be scared - that's normal - but you know that you coped last time, and you can do it again.
    We'll be here for you, just as we were before. :friends:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

Thank you Celle. I am not too bad as yet and am trying to think positive that I got through the first one despite my fears and my hysterics on operation day. Got a bit worried tonight when left knee buckled while washing my dishes. It just seem to give out. It has done that a few times. I do hope it strengthens up before the next op.

6. SusieShoes

Your quad (the muscle responsible for your buckling) will keep getting stronger. Your knee is still healing but it’s healed enough that you can do more with it. Your daily activities should be enough. If you feel like doing some easy quad exercises, though, you can give those a try. But really you should do just fine with your daily running around.

It’s a blessing you are working with medical staff already familiar with you and who will understand your fears. Plus you’ve walked the walk with the first knee. You know what a TKR is all about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hegel

hegel junior member

I never look at the needle but always look away during insertion. It helps! Best wishes, and I hope that you find your calm strong self the morning of surgery. I seemed to have worked out most of my anxieties before the heart procedure (ablation) I underwent once and was surprised to find myself calm on the day of surgery. Maybe your earlier experience will help this time around!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

@SusieShoes Yes knee is healing and I hope the occasional wobble will disappear soon. Yes its good it's the same surgeon and her secretary as they know how frightened I get.
    @hegel I do hope that my last experience does keep my a bit calmer this time round and I avoid the major meltdown before going into theatre.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It's good that they know you know and I bet you'll do just fine with the needles etc. Time sure flies--it doesn't seem that long since your first one. You have a bit more time for the first knee to heal before December so that's good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

@kneeper hopefully knee will have improved further before they do the other knee. Hopefully I will have mastered coming downstairs by then as at the moment I can still only come down one step at a time putting operated leg down first. That needs to change by time other knee gets done or I won't manage the stairs.

11. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

Pre assessment done last Thursday. Saw surgeon who says she will stick with same plan as previous... In the night before and first on the list. Also no staples. Then saw the physios who both remembered me from June op. They checked both knees and my walking and said the knee is well out of alignment hence the reason I am limping badly and why my hip is so painful. I survived the blood test as it was same nurse so she knew my fears of needles. So I am all set for next op. Go in on 11th Dec and op on 12th.
    Got myself very depressed though as in so much pain with right knee and left one keeps giving way and just still doesnt feel right. I guess as it isn't quite 5 Mo ths since operation it is still a bit weak. I am struggling to walk and I know its probably more to do with right knee being so painful but I limp all the time and left knee just feels strange. I do find myself worrying that I won't be any better after the next op and what if i'm not. What if I still dont walk properly?

12. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think when you have two good knees (even if still healing) you'll find your walking improving. Can you do some isometric exercises (quad sets?) for your quad? That wouldn't strain the pre-op knee...

• Like Like x 1
  13. SusieShoes

All the pain in your right knee and the accommodations your are almost certainly making, without even thinking about it, can't be good for your walking. Getting it fixed is the right thing to do. It's natural for you to worry about whether the surgery will make matters better, or worse. :sad: I went into surgery fearful of that. Better the wretched knees I knew than possibly worse knees... at a certain point, though, there is no worse. So try to be positive about this surgery. This knee will be ever so different from the left. And the left will benefit from having a more functional companion.

Getting the strength back in your knees will be easy once you have two fully functioning knees. It took a good six months for me to get back up to half-decent strength in my new knees... and they continued to get stronger, and are still doing do. It's a long process to regain strength in knees that were bad for many years.

14. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

@SusieShoes I thought maybe I was the only one who had thought I would have been better with the bad knees than the way I am now. In May I was walking up to 20 miles in a day. I thought after left knee was done I would be much better. This being much worse is really getting me down. I find myself wishing I hadn't got it done but as right is so painful I have no choice but to carry on with next operation.
    I had wondered if my left knee just wasn't getting its strength back as it keeps giving a wobble and still can't do stairs except the baby way. When thinking straight I know it's the bad knee affecting the new knee as it's only 5 months since done and it should be better when both knees are working properly but in my tearful times I think I will never walk properly again I have had a lot of tears in the last few weeks. I am so worried about the next operation but I can't carry on with this x pain. I will say though that although left knee feels strange and wobbles and is a little sore, the awful arthritic pain has totally gone.
    Thanks for your reply.it has helped.

15. Chemist

Chemist member

Hi @Mollymax : I don't like Drs or needles. My blood pressure and pulse both go way up when I am near either. The only thing I found that helped was deep controlled breathing - basically a form of meditation. If I concentrate on that I can bring the anxiety under control a bit. Might be worth a try.

I hope and pray that in the end you have two pain free knees that let you get back to walking and other activities.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

@Chemist I normally Ave quite low blood pressure but at my pre assessment it was quite raised. I don't worry about getting it taken and I had already had the dreaded blood test so I felt quite calm. Fortunately the nurse knew me from last time in hospital and knew I had low BP so wasn't worried. They more worry after operation as bp falls too far. Thanks for your thoughts.

I am trying to stay calm and not let the horrendous fears I had in June get to me. The needle fear is starting up again and I am really trying to think positive and try and remember I got through it last time.

17. SusieShoes

You did get through it! Remember how the nurses helped you? They'll help you again. Everyone wants you to have a safe, successful surgery and recovery. :console2:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

@SusieShoes Thank you. Not long now till operation. Not yet nervous so that's a good thing. Not saying what I will be like in 2 weeks though

19. Mollymax

Mollymax senior

Only 2 weeks to go until next knee replaced. I can't be so worried /scared this time - well not yet- as I have been looking into buying a new motorbike after I have recovered. I haven't ridden for years and am quite excited that I may be able to get on a motorbike again. Hubby isn't so sure as he is worried about any falls but that is a risk everyone takes not just someone with knee replacements. Maybe I just need to buy a smaller not so fast bike this time round.

20. SusieShoes

A motorbike makes a fine gift to yourself. Choose one that suits your current ability to enjoy and control it. Fast is fun but not necessarily best right now. You can have just as much fun on a less powerful machine.

Falls are always a risk, and not just on motorbikes. Bicycles, too. Or stairs. Or dogs. And then there’s ice and snow. Take proper precautions and enjoy having those new knees!