THR Second one - hope it's better than the first

Bevlah

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Operation yesterday went well and is over! Such a relief. It's about pain management now so they are going to put me on morphine today as I had a bad night. Wasn't sick though which is a result! So happy I have done it as I was very scared but at least I know for when they do the next one that it's not bad as I had imagined.

Good morning @Bevlah good to see you on this side, and your right - the whole op thing isn't as bad as we all imagine, but it is still major surgery and it's over. Time to rest, get the meds going to help with those first few steps. Hope your hospital food is better than mine was! Looking forward to reading your recovery posts. Take care.

Congrats @Bevlah. Hooray for no sickness. Hope they find the right combination for your pain management. Post op pain can be intense but it does fade. Don’t push it too much!

:egypdance: Super news! First days can be rough...but you sound good!
Healing wishes coming at you!:loveshwr:

Last edited:
Well done @Bevlah.
I'll pop these on your recovery thread so you can read up.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the other side @Bevlah ! Do ask for anti-nausea medication if you need it. So sense in suffering. I look forward to following your recovery journey.

Hi @Bevlah
Happy to hear your surgery is now behind you. It is a relief and we often realize it wasn't as
scary as we imagined it would be.

Now onto recovery. Once they get the pain meds adjusted and on schedule
you should be able to rest comfortably and be on your way.

Best wishes for a day of peaceful relaxation as you begin to heal!

Congrats on the start of your new and very positive journey. So much valuable advice exists here on this site—I really fell in love with ICE and am in awe with how much it helps swelling AND redecues pain :)
Best wishes for an uneventful recovery,
Patrikya

Hi @Bevlah, as they say, "welcome to the other side". I came over this past Monday, following the Hip Recovery Guidelines and the support of others has been so helpful. ICE will be your best friend (I had to ask for it a lot while in the hospital) especially when you elevate. Of course, rest when you get home, make sure you have the right combo of pain meds (I had to tweak mine due to sensitivities) and you will be on your way. :)

I'm so glad that you are on the healing side! I will have to watch your progress. I hope being a lazy slug works. I want to 'do that' :heehee:

Hi all. Thanks for all of your encouraging messages. I can't seem to get out of bed without fainting so not going so good! They are going to get me up again today but the pain is excruciating! They said it's down to the pelvic reconstruction I have also had so it's not so simple. Wish me luck getting up today!

Best wishes with your recovery.
They'll get you moving.
I had dizzy spells for the first couple of days.
Joe.........

Oh dear sorry you’re experiencing such pain! Hopefully they’ll get the drugs sorted for you :console2:

Crossing my fingers for you too...:fingersx:
Many on forum have shared postop fainting/dizziness.
Hopefully will subside soon:console2:

@Mojo333 yes they have mentioned it on the forums, but the physios aren't being too sympathetic! I will get there I am sure. Need to man up a bit

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back