THR Second one done.

Jelliott66

Country
United States United States
Just thought I would share my hip stories. 2016 I had my first hip done with the posterior approach. First week was hell. Couldn’t believe I did it. A lot of pain. But gradually things came around and the hip is as strong as ever. A little numbness in the front thigh if I stand too long in the same spot. But back to working out and no pain at all from tbe hip.

I knew the other hip was bad and would have to be done too. I had really researched it and I found a good doctor that utilized the “table “ and the anterior approach. Had my surgery yesterday surgery at 8 home at 4:30. Pain but more muscle soreness. Much more mobile with the walker and no form of oxy at all. Advil and ice. Praying this one progresses as quickly and as sturdy as my other hip but also excited to be able to sleep normal without chronic pain. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jelliott66 welcome to Bone Smart, happy that you've joined us. Can you verify some info and provide a little more to better help those coming across your post? If I'm reading this right you had total hip replacement on 28 May 2020, which hip? Also, what hip and when in 2016?

Sounds like you're doing well so far, definitely continue to ice and elevate. I'm going to leave you our Recovery Guidelines for your reading pleasure.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

My most recent hip was anterior left. My first hip was posterior right. Got a low grade fever but otherwise feel pretty good.

@Jelliott66
A low grade fever is a normal experience after surgery, it should go away in a few days. As long as it is low grade you are fine.

You will notice I added your surgery dates to your signature, please check that they are accurate, if not let us know and a moderator will correct it for you.
Thanks!

Welcome! Thanks for joining us. It sounds like you’re off to a good start. Stop back often and share your progress. We’re here for support and encouragement as you move through recovery.
A great week to you as you begin the journey. :)
@Jelliott66

Off to a great recovery. Actually back to work 4 days after surgery. I am a school superintendent so I can control my hours but it’s amazing how good I feel. Love this site and all you do !!

Oh my...back to work already. Please proceed cautiously and take it slow. We recommend
twelve weeks off with a phased return so your return feels pretty ambitious. Thankfully you have the ability to control you hours hopefully allowing for adequate rest as you begin to heal. Stay in touch so we can follow your progress.
All the best to you!
@Jelliott66

You are having a good recovery! Hopefully, even though you are working you are icing and elevating when you can?

Congratulations on your new hip! There are many of us double hippies on here.. it's great to have them both working so well and have it behind us (no pun intended) :heehee:

Ice is the true friend of someone with hip replacement. I honestly think that’s what helps me recover so quickly.

I mowed my lawn with a self propelled push mower one week after my anterior hip surgery. Also biking up to 30 min every day. Hip is great.

But you’re not recovered yet. Not even close. Please do be careful. Using a push mower one week post op and biking 30 minutes every day at not even two weeks post op is beyond ambitious.
Maybe you’re just kidding us, right?

Don’t try this at home, kids.:nah:
@Jelliott66

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back