BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Second much different than the first! Pain on standing still

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by 2Newhips, Jun 11, 2019.

1. 2Newhips

2Newhips new member

United States United States
    i had my left hip done November 2013. Had anterior replacement and everything went great. Only used a cane for a couple days after the surgery. Drove at a week and 7 weeks later l was back riding my horse. I had minimal pain and was off all pain medication after 3 weeks.

The only pain was the iliopsoas that took several months to go away. April 12, 2019 I had my right hip done, anterior THR with the same surgeon that did my left hip.This time I have had so much more pain, swelling and bruising than with the first one. I have not used a cane since week 3 and feel good with that. I keep track of my steps with my Fitbit.

I am now in my 9th week post op and doing between 1½-3+ miles a day total walking from the time I get up till the time I go to bed. I am working in my garden, going to the store, household chores, etc. Most of the muscle pain and ache is gone unless I do too much. Some pain from iliopsoas but I expected that and I'm sure it will get better over the next several months. Overall I think everything is going pretty good.

The biggest problem is I can walk or work in the yard everything is ok but if I stand still for 5 or 10 minutes my leg starts to ache near the incision and if I don't sit down or start moving the ache gets worst till I ache from the incision to my knee.

I have not been able to find much on this site or anywhere about other people with this problem. Anyone with info on this?

This is such a great site with lots of great information I'm glad I found it. I hope all of you who have had a THR are doing well with your recovery.

The toughest part for me is being patient an not doing too much. It is a long time for for total recovery. Good luck and a speedy recovery to all you new hipsters!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @2Newhips - and :welome:

It appears that you had a recovery that was faster than most when you had your first hip replaced. This time, your recovery sounds more like the recovery most people experience. We do advise people not to compare hips or recoveries, because no two are the same.

This time, it's possible that your hip needed more work during surgery than the first one did,. Also, you're 6 years older and that could have some bearing on it as well.

It's only two months since your surgery, and you may be doing too much for your new hip - you are doing quite a lot - have a look at the article about Activity Progression for THRs, in the reading, below.

I know, from my own experience when I had my knees replaced, that I frequently had more pain when I was standing still than I did when I was moving, so maybe the same thing applies to hips as well.

Complete recovery from a large joint replacement does take a full year, although you can do most things long before that, but maybe you're expecting too much of this new hip, too soon.
    Give it some more time, and see how it goes. If it doesn't improve, than consult your surgeon.

Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone with a new hip:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @2Newhips Welcome to BoneSmart! You will read this over and over again on this forum - no 2 THRs are alike - even on the same person. Sounds like you were very lucky with the first recovery. This one may take more time and patience. Trying to rush recovery will only set you back. Read the information Celle left for you and try and slow and steady approach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @2Newhips :hi:
    Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
    Happy Two Month Anniversary!
    Wishing you only the best as you continue on the journey :walking:
    Have a great rest of the week!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

@2Newhips I'm chiming in because my first THR was 5 years ago and wow-bam, I was back at work full time in 4 weeks!!! My 2nd replacement was Feb 28th this year and I can guarantee you that it's not been any wow-bam this time but quite the opposite. I was still using my walker at 6 weeks. Plus I hate to admit it, but I think what Celle said had a bearing on my recovery, I'm 5 years older. But in the end, while this one has taken longer, it's soooo much better and was so worth it. So hang in there and keep your patience. I still grab an ice pack once in a while if I have overdone it for the day. If you haven't, use the ice and elevate for about an hour when you're having pain. It's a miracle worker! :ice:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had to chuckle when I saw this comment! These are two of the most common complaints of hip surgery! You need to read these
    Iliopsoas syndrome
    ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues
    And sometimes even Trochanteric bursitis

• Like Like x 1