Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Second Knee Replacement

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@aries My hospital changed protocol this year. Last year it was Teds and injections, although some surgeons were doing away with Teds. This year no Teds and soluble aspirin instead of injections, so much easier.

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
I wish my surgeon followed that policy. I was told by several nurses that I needed to wear them for 6 weeks.I do not have an issue with the short one on the unoperated leg, but I have a longer one on the operated leg and although it is not too bad for most of the time, it seems to become very uncomfortable at night times. I am a bit worried about when I have the dressing finaĺly taken off on Tuesday that the stocking might rub I've the incision area.

When I had my first knee done I only wore them for 2 weeks and that was great.

henrietta

Country
France France
Yes, for anti coagulation .
i did have a nice day thank you, we went to a bar 45 minutes away in a town where lots of Brits live. Went there because you can guarantee there will be a bar open! (Otherwise no guarantee of a bar open, that’s the downside of living here) Beautiful countryside and a sunny day. Today is rainy and dull.
we’ve seen the floods on tv, a terrible thing. I know Solihull so know it’s fairly safe from such things.
Still taking some paracetamol although the nurse seemed to think I might have finished. Surely not? And ice at night.

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Hi Henrietta, it sounds lovely to be going out for a drive to a bar, on a sunny day.Yesterday the weather was awful here, but I did manage a short walk in between the showers. I am still taking paracetamol snd a few ibruprofen. Pain is not too bad, but ocasionally seem to experience stabbing nerve pain around my knee cap and then it disappears for a while. Still using quite a lot of ice, but every day there seems to be a slight improvement. I have my first physio appointment today, so that should be interesting.

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Ted's are stockings that are given to patients to prevent blood clots. I have to wear mine for 6 weeks, but every hospital and every surgeon, seem to have a different view about how long they have to be worn for, if at all.

henrietta

Country
France France
I have them. I think I can stop when the injections stop end of this week. Trouble is I haven’t been wearing them at night and I think last year I did, and should be!

henrietta

Country
France France
Aries, Glad you managed a short walk. I’m having a lazy morning in bed but really must get up now. Will be interested to hear how the physio appt went.
nothing like a British state registered physio! (You know what you’re getting) I saw one when I was still living in England, very helpful, also paid to see one privately when I came back last summer.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
United States United States
I didn’t wear those Ted hose at all. I was supposed to, but it was one more thing than I could manage. I made sure to move about a lot, I took my baby aspirin, and I watched for signs of blood clots. With all the different protocols on this, it feels like a roll of the dice how this all works out. I wonder if there’s any recent, reliable research.

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Physio appointment went welĺ yesterday. Most of the time was taken up with gathering information about medical history and how things have been going regarding the knee. Had a bend if 105 degrees and could achieve a straight leg Advised to use crutches for idoors and two when outside so I was quite pleased.

henrietta

Country
France France
That sounds good. I go today but no history will be taken and little conversation, partly not entirely due to my poor french language skills. Doesn’t worry me too much.
Final dressing off last night, looks ok. Awful pain in my back and hips when I got out of bed though!

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Hi Henrietta,
It is nice when the dressing comes off. One more step on a long journey. It must be interesting having a meeting with physio with limited language skills. My physio seems very experienced, but talks non stop and it is difficult to get a word in.
I have booked an appointment with GP this afternoon as I still cannot sleep throughout the night due to headaches and many trips to the bathroom. I do not expect he will have any explanations but I suppose it is the right thing to do. I am trying to be slightly more active during the dsyvand not having any naps but that does not seem to help particularly. Even had a glass of red wine last night.
I am going to try and increase the distance when I go out for a walk to see whether that might help.
I have watched several programmes during my recovery about people who move abroad for a better life and there has been quite a lot about the Dordogne. Looks absolutely stunning!
Sorry to hear about your back and hips and hope that things will settle down soon.

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
@Helizabug There is an article on Bonesmart about the research on aspirin versus injections, but I can't find it now. I've seen it a few times when looking for something else so I'll let you know if I come across it again.

henrietta

Country
France France
@aries sounds like a good idea to see the doctor about the poor sleep. (Except he’ll give you sleeping tablets? Have you tried meditation?) Once we get out of the routine of good sleep it’s hard to get back into it, isn’t it.
spent 20 minutes squeezing a foam rugby ball under my knee yesterday then half an hour with leg suspended by weights so I could exercise by bending it. As we’d just had lunch out I nearly went to sleep! He’s offered me an appt on Friday, first time he’s offered another in the same week.
Hips and back still aching. I wonder if I need to walk more to help the aching?
Book club meeting at our house this afternoon. Yes, the Dordogne is stunning!

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Went to see GP, but he admitted that he did not really have any answers. Suggested having blood tests to check sugar levels, not sure why. He said that I may have reacted to something in one of the medications, that they used in hospital, but we will will probably never know.There are no appointments with nurse for blood tests until 9th March though, so I am hoping that the problem may have resolved by then. He was a very nice young doctor that has recently joined the practice.
Your visit to the physio sounds interesting. I suppose they have all got different methods to help patients reach their goal.
Last night, I think that I slept a little better and did not need to take any pain kiĺers for head aches.
We do not have any particular plans today, but we have some visitors tomorrow, so may need to tidy house. Housework seems to have fallen by the wayside over the last few weeks. Also need to attempt some ironing.
I am hoping to go to book club on Monday, if I manage to finish reading the book. We meet at a local pub and have lunch, which is nice.
Which book are you reading at the moment?

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Granulation Tissue
Hi again. I am just wondering whether anyone can telĺ me anything about granulation tissue. I had my knee operation on 31st Jan and staples were removed on 14th Feb. One of the staples above the knee cap area was crooked and the nurse struggled to take it out. Consequently, it began to bleed and as I was on Clexane still, it was quite dramatic. She said that there was some granulation tissue, as the edges had not quite come together and put on another dressing. I went back today, to have the dressing taken off and for the nurse to check it again and it still had not completely healed. So another dressing was put on and I will return next Thursday. Obviously I am worried and everything else seems to be going so well. She was not worried about infection, but I am worried that it will never heal.

henrietta

Country
France France
I’m not the person to ask, but I expect the problem where the staple came out with difficulty will resolve itself. It’s natural to worry though isn’t it?
My scar looks a bit ‘open’ but the nurse assures me it’s ok. Still lots of back and hip ache today, feel I’m not walking as well as last week. i wasn’t looking forward to book club (it being here so we had to tidy up a bit) but of course it was nice to chat and I enjoyed myself.
we are 2 french and 3 English ladies and as it’s not easy for us to all get the same book,(and not everyone has kindles) what we do is each bring books which we have, to recommend, and discuss and share. I talked about Helen Dunmore an author I recently discovered, and we are going to share (by taking turns) Sky Burial by Xinran, about Tibet.
what are you reading?
The Kine today had me squeezing the foam ball again, then he did a bit of massage and gentle bending. Then for the first time, he had me holding bars, while stepping up and down, (on the ground) and standing on tip toes. Hard work, but achievable.
Hope your sleep is getting better. Don’t overdo it with the ironing!

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Hi Henrietta,
at our book club we all read the same book and then discuss it over lunch at a local pub. We usually have a list of questions about the book, which we discuss.
Currently, we are reading 'The Reader on the 6.27' which is written by a French writer. It is a very strange book but quite interesting. We read 'The Siege' by Helen Dunmore a few months ago, which I really enjoyed.I would like to read more of her books.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with your back and hips. Do you think it maybe to walking differently since your knee operation.

Your sessions with the physio sound interesting.

henrietta

Country
France France
I must get round to reading the Siege. The Betrayal, which is about Leningrad after WW2 is good. Will look for ‘the reader on the 6.27’.
one source of English books here is a big half yearly second hand book sale put on by an animal charity. It’s a huge enterprise with lots of rooms and stalls of books, CDs etc. One euro a book! That’s were I got some of the Helen Dunmore.
just finished Sky Burial, my book which I bought years ago. Fascinating if your interested in China or Tibet. A quick read as well.
yes, I think my body is readjusting to the new knee.
enjoy your book club tomorrow.

OP
OP
A

aries

Country
Glad that you are getting used to your new knee and things are going well. I have tried to go out for a walk every day and hopefully that will help the muscles to regain their strength.Still doing exercises three times a day.
We have had a visit from our two youngest grand children this week and and hubby and I are feeling quite shattered as they are quite boisterous and although it I'd nice to see them, it I'd livrly when they go home.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob Stiff Knee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom