TKR Second knee is the charm

shar57

Country
United States United States
Hello! I’m somewhat new to Bone Smart and somewhat not. I had my first RTKR in May of ‘18 and Bone Smart was a Godsend of information for me to read. I’ve had my second LTKR this past Wednesday, the 14th so I’m back reading, reviewing information, and gaining knowledge on my rehab/recovery of my knee. This second knee is different than my first knee and I understand. My first knee was an uncomplicated recovery and rehab with near perfect result. This second knee is a bit more swollen and angry so I’m icing, elevating, medicating, and I’m out here on round two with my knees. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @shar57 - and :welome: to recovery again.

Did you join BoneSmart back in 2018, or did you just read without signing up? It's quite OK if you did that - I just wanted to make sure that you don't have two identities and usernames on here.

Try not to compare your recoveries, because no two knee replacements are alike, even for the same person.

Here's your personal copy of the post-op guidelines and reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. You should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi and Welcome!

Thank you for the welcome. I just prowled around at night back in ‘18 and did my reading when I couldn’t sleep so I didn’t sign in. So this is the one and only identity. I’m trying hard not to compare but I am aware of the differences between these two knees. Things are going fine but I’m finding myself being down and slightly depressed. TKR is not for the faint hearted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m finding myself being down et slightly depressed
The old 'joke' is that women have terrible memories, or would only ever have one baby. Maybe we all forget the pain and discomfort of TKR a bit?

Being down after TKR is par for the course, it's only a week, please relax and try not to worry. You'll be fine.

I just prowled around at night back in ‘18 and did my reading when I couldn’t sleep so I didn’t sign in. So this is the one and only identity.
Thank you for confirming this.

Things are going fine but I’m finding myself being down and slightly depressed. TKR is not for the faint hearted.
It's a long recovery and I'm afraid that being a bit depressed is part of it for a while.

We understand - we've been there.

I slept for the first time the entire night without getting up to go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, or take a pain med. Little sore but feels good. Sleeping on my side went well for a short period of time using pillows to prop my knee. In regards to the depression part, I think for me, I don’t like feeling dependent or I don’t want to be a bother but it’s totally out of my hands. I am dependent on my husband and family for help and it’s hard not to pull your own weight around here.

I am dependent on my husband et family for help et it’s hard not to pull your own weight around here.
All very temporary my friend. None of us like being dependent on others. But this will pass very quickly.

Sounds like real progress on the sleeping!

Impressive! It took me 6 weeks to tolerate side sleeping!

Good luck with number two knee. I also need a second knee. Can I ask what was you "when" thinking?

Good luck with number two knee. I also need a second knee. Can I ask what was you "when" thinking?
Do you mean when was I thinking of having surgery? I was planning on the end of May 2020. But things fell apart for me right before Christmas. Increased pain, instability, wearing a knee brace, and walking with a cane. I was able to be seen by my surgeon, more xrays, and get a surgery date sooner than May.

I am dependent on my husband et family for help et it’s hard not to pull your own weight around here.
I had to change your et to and in your posts. Many don't know French.

You are doing amazingly! It seemed like months before I could sleep on my side.

Your number one job right now is to heal. Let others in your family take care of you for a change. As you heal, you can do a little bit more each week or so. As long as you let your knee be your guide, you'll be fine.

Most of our loved ones are empowered by helping, I think. They can grow weary of it at times, but they get another wind and keep at it. You’ll be able to do more and more for yourself over the course of these weeks.

I made the mistake of not taking pain meds on schedule late yesterday afternoon. I ran over time by about 3 1/2 hours so my bedtime meds were also off schedule. I paid for it during the night. My knee was angry with me and sore. Lesson learned. I’m so thankful to be past days 2-4 post op. They’re kinda dark and depressing days for me. My spirits and mood are brighter today even with the goofy sleep last night. I’m getting some electric like zingers in my incision area. Feels kinda funny. Must be nerves trying to heal? Anyhoo, the sun is shining, it’s bitterly cold outside, I’m safe inside, medicated, iced, exercised, and watching the world go by. I’m 6 days out and thankful that I had surgery on my knee.

Sounds like you’ve got a good outlook on this. If the days get dismal again, we’re here finding our way through those days too. Just reach out. With the ups and the downs.

Those zingers are crazy!

I’m feeling stronger each day. Yesterday I tried to do some little things around the house. Just small doable things. I didn’t sleep well at all last night as I was exhausted and today I’m stuck in my recliner, exhausted. I’ve forgotten about the elaborate dance you do between rest and activity. You’d think I’d know better, this is my second go around, my second knee. Anyway, I just felt the need to vent about my lack of energy and the huge amount of energy this knee recovery is taking from me. Thanks! I needed that. Someone out there will understand.

Welcome to BoneSmart glad you joined is!
The energy drain is real, goes along with joint replacement.
keep us posted on how you are doing.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Shar, we all understand! I swear if you feel just a little better you want to do something that needs to be done (housework) or something you miss doing, like going to grocery store. There is not one of us here who hasn't overdone it and paid for it! Patience!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom