Lounge Doctor

THR Second hip surgery on April 21st

BarbyDoll

Country
United States United States
I had my pre-op visit on Tuesday and everything is set to go for my 2nd hip surgery on April 21st. I was surprised to learn that I will be going home the same day because of Covid. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that, but think it will be okay since I have lots of help at home. I ordered a gel pack for hips on Amazon tonight, and am looking forward to seeing how that will work. I'm wondering if there is a preferred side of the bed to sleep on for ease of getting in and out of bed. I planned to sleep on the same side of the bed as before. (right side, having a left hip replacement). I have a bedside table next to me and chose that side of the bed last time because it was closer to the door and also had more room to maneuver the walker. I pick up my medications tomorrow and have a Covid test on Monday. I'm looking forward to getting the surgery over with and hoping I have a smooth steady recovery like last time.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:hi: Not much longer and you will have TWO new good hips to carry you about.:yes!:

I'm glad you brought up the "side of the bed" issue because it doesn't often get discussed.
I'm sure that this time with your left it may be a bit more difficult getting lefty up and in versus the right, but for all the reasons you mentioned...I think you are spot on.
I had bilateral so no "good leg" to consider, but due to the room layout I also was on the right side. Closer to the door, more open so I had my walker parking space, and my little table next to me for meds, water, chapstick...etc.

I wish I had found the suggestion in using a plastic sack to help swivel without twisting but I managed with upper body strength and helped lefty by moving it once I was slid back enough.
The trash bag idea sounds good however.
Best of luck for your upcoming surgery.
Will be looking for you in recovery.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Countrybumpkin