THR Second Hip Replacement

hackett

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone, newbie here. I'm booked in for right hip replacement May 24 after having left hip done last June (2021). So far, I must admit I've found it quite difficult after first op. Main reason for this was that both hips really needed doing at same time but I went for just one at first. To me my recovery was great, but, right hip kept on being painful so no real overall benefit, still been hobbling along and in pain. Went down NHS route only to be told it would be a 2 year wait at least so, as we did last year, decided to go private and pay up again - so much for the wonderful NHS!
Just wondered, if anyone out there has had a similar experience of having one hip done but not really feeling the benefit - fingers and toes crossed that all works out this time and I'm dancing the night away in a couple of months.

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@hackett Welcome to BoneSmart! Well, I can't promise you'll be dancing away in a couple of months. But I can confirm once both hips are done you will see major progress.

Sorry you could not get this done on the NHS. It's just a bit of a disaster at the moment. Expensive I know - but totally worth going the private route. Get it done and get on with living!

Eman85

supremo
Country
United States United States
I needed 2 hips and chose my left first as it was the worst and had previous surgeries. It worked out great and I felt so good that all of the walking accelerated the deterioration of my right. After the 2nd it's all good.

CricketHip

Staff member since June 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
If you go to the search option located in the upper right corner of this page, you can do a search for the phrase: double hippy.
We tend to call the members with both hips replaced, that.
You should be able to find several who struggled with the first THR due to the other hip being so painful.
Some had their second hip replaced as soon as 6 weeks post op.

I look forward to hearing about your second recovery!!
@hackett

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 2018
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • hawk2go
    Staff member since January 2022

Forum statistics