THR Second Hip Replacement

I‘ve never seen two women less intimidated by this surgery. I truly wish I felt that way going in. I was afraid I wasn’t going to wake up! Talk about the opposite extreme.
I think I even cleaned out my undie drawer so it looked presentable for my survivors. :rotfl:

I agree with positive thinking and am envious of your relaxed attitude, ladies, your recoveries will be fun to follow. Wishing you comfort from the pain as you wait for Monday.

@wander03
I understand the high. I was so happy to have surgery over and I attributed the high I felt to that. I’m sure it was a combo of relief and the drugs and while I wasn’t hyper, I couldn’t shut up! I guess that is a form of hyper-activity. I actually asked the nurse about it around dinner time. I told her I couldn’t shut up and I wasn’t normally yackety, yack, yacking like I was. She laughed and told me it was the drugs.

@skigirl I want to spend Monday night at the hospital. It worked out well for me to do so last time. And, I will get four delicious meals and snacks between if I want them. :) Mercy Orthopedic Hospital is kind of like a boutique hospital. It is for othopedics only, is small, and seems more personal that the gigantic hospitals. I enjoyed my overnight stay.

I also have a grabber, Lounge Doctor, and a long-handled shoe horn! Also a leg lifter and walkers out my kazoo. I really do like my lift chair. In the pre-op physical therapy class yesterday, the therapist emphasized it is important to recline back some when sitting so that the incision stretches out and does heal "short." She demonstrated sitting so that the angle between the torso and the thigh is 90 degrees and said one should not sit that way, at least the the first week or two. I suppose if one is lying down, that is not a concern. And I plan to lie down more this time since I have the Lounge Doctor set up on my sofa so that I can watch television if I so choose.

I have not heard the term "coach" as it relates to a THR. Interesting concept. But, I think I can get by without one. I have my fantastic physical therapist, Chris. But no coach.

I guess I must have had really good drugs. I definitely was hyper. I was also excited that my right knee was back in line, which it had not been since September of 2021. Fun times!

@Layla My first hip surgery went so well, that I am looking forward to my second one. Part of that may be because within a week or two after this surgery, I expect to be pain free. I have had some form of pain constantly since at least six months before the knee replacement on July 19 of last year. Pain free wil be wonderful!

Positive thinking and a relaxed attitude probably makes the surgery and recovery somewhat easier. I do remember my whining on days three, four, and five last time. Since I know that I may possibly have pain and swelling on those days, it probably won't be difficult as it was then. There I go - more positive thinking! :egypdance:

Now that you mention it, I talked a blue streak, too! And I think that is a form of hyper-activity. Fortunately Jennifer and Pete will be there to listen to me and laugh at how I can't quit talking and laughing. Party time!
:yes!::happydance::dancy:

I. Was still in shock that I needed a hip replacement after my surgery!!! The next person who calls me bionic is going to visit Loretta lyn’s or is it Patsy Cline’s Fist City!!!

I have found that not laughing and looking the person in the eye ends the conversation!!

I had a GA and the anesthesiologist told me I was the most relaxed patient he had ever had!! I know GA works well for me and I was comfortable with it. I have arthritis everywhere and did not want him stirring up my back. I wake up wide awake, I went to the bathroom 30 min post surgery with my trusty forearm crutches. I used a walker once in the hospital after my first knee and hated it, they are so bulky. I have never used another one!

I am more nervous this time than last time partly because I no longer have a partner.

My last hip was Oct 4 and on Oct 20 Rick died in my car on the way home from a soccer game!! It was very difficulty to rehab the hip, my PT from the app OneStep was absolutely wonderful!! She gave me daily workouts and lots of positive feedback and suggestions. We spoke once a week on zoom and she helped me stay on track.

I am doing PT after this surgery but I am also using One Step. I never really ate anything the first hospital stay, when I think of it I realize that I never had lunch or dinner!!! I am not hungry after surgery, I be lost 15 lbs with the first one but it is odd that no one mentioned food to me!!!

My last hip was Oct 4 and on Oct 20 Rick died in my car on the way home from a soccer
Oh my word…how traumatic! I’m so sorry. I knew you lost him, but can’t even imagine this. :console2:

@skigirl I think it is amusing that you seem to take offense when someone calls you bionic. I tell people that after my right knee replacement, my right hip replacement, and my left hip replacement, I am going to be a bionic woman; that I will be full speed ahead. And when my left knee is replaced at some time in the future, which I am quite sure it will be, there will be absolutely no way to stop me!! I am so very healthy in all ways. The only thing I have had problems with are the four joints. I will take that challenge any day as opposed to the health challenges some people have. I consider myself very fortunate.

I have had a GA for my two surgeries. I remember having a very dry mouth when I woke up in the recovery room, and I had to wait until I got to my room to have water. Other than that, my experience with GA has been uneventful. And I don't guess that is much of an event. :heehee:

I am sure that when one has had a partner for many years, not having one is a cause for concern. And the way Rick passed apparently was so tramatic. I respect your strength in dealing with your loss. Since I have been on my own for decades, except for family and friends, I rarely miss a step when I face challenges, health or otherwise. I wholeheartedly welcome help of family and friends, but sometimes it seems easier to be on my own.

I must have been hungry after surgery, because I ate a large, delicious meal. Actually, I ate two. I had looked forward to having an omelet for breakfast, which I had about 10:30 AM. Then I had a large lunch with a salmon filet about noon. I was unable to eat all of the lunch, however. Maybe one has to spend the night in the hospital to receive meals. That seems logical. With the quality of the food at Mercy Orthopedic Hospital, I think it is well worth the overnight stay. Yum!

@wander03 I suppose it is a leftover from ski school---we were programmed to never show any weakness whatso ever!! Especially the women!! I see having someone call me bionic as a put down and I don't like it at all, but I am extra sensitive after 25 years in a ski school locker room!!

My daughter called and told me I should be resting!! I am working security at events and have worked most days last week. I am working Friday 9am- 9 pm and Sunday just from 10-3:30. I am working at the Aurora games--they are a group of women trying to start a women's pro team from Minneapolis. I love them, they are really good and since I played soccer for most of my misspent youth and middle age, I am 150% behind them for forming a pro team. I have season's tickets to the MN United, the men's pro team and would love to buy tickets from a women's team as well. The soccer games are some of the most fun in my life right now. And I love watching these women play.

Rick died Oct 20, so I am still recovering from his traumatic death. I had a lot of nightmares, am finally seeing a psychiatrist who has really helped me. Bob, my husband of almost 30 years was a Psychiatrist, I miss him now when I need him!!

My daughter is so sweet--she tries to make life easy for me---it is hard for her to understand that I really love using the snow blower and frequently do most of my block!! I love being outside and mowing the lawn, tending the garden and snow blowing are all good outside chores. Liz wants me to stay inside and rest---now that would really make me nervous!! Now that I am alone, I never cook---I do heat some things up in the microwave which is a good way to loose weight since most of it is so terrible I cannot eat it!!

I have not mastered eating alone---I prepare a little tray and look at the table and then pick up a book and read. Most times the book is much more interesting than the food!! I am really antsy today, running around trying to do all the last minute stuff. My doc told me I could probably not drive for two weeks, but I hope it is not that long. Last time, I took one or two tramadol and then switched to tylenol and Aleeve. I used the crutches for a week or so last time---I suppose I will drive when I don't need them. My dog and I usually walk two times a day--about two miles each walk. I am having some high school kids walk her at first until I can walk as long as she does. I also think I can take her to dog parks if she needs extra exercise. I maybe need to take myself to a dog park too because last time I just got so stir crazy!! I hate the hanging out in the house part of recovery. Once I could walk for 15 or 20 min, I felt so much calmer. The first two weeks were just incredibly boring. I am going to try to knit more or do something inside!! once I got outside, i had to tend to the garden and raking leaves was pretty hard after the surgery!!

@skigirl I can better understand your attitude about being called bionic when I think about your being involved with other athletes. But to me, it seems that being called bionic would be a compliment indicating that you are strong and capable. Apparently that is not the way it is.

I think it is great that you are working on the day before surgery. I can see no benefit of sitting around when you want to be doing something. By getting off at 3:30 on Sunday, if you go home in the afternoon, I don't see how getting up early Monday morning would be a problem. I'm sure your daughter wants you to be relaxed for your surgery. From what you say, it seems to me that you will be more relaxed doing what you are doing than sitting around wishing you were doing what you are doing. I think it is exciting that women are forming a pro team from Minneapolis and that you are supporting them. My daughter played soccer for many years. Some of the time in her teen years, she played on a boys' team because she thought the girls' teams were not aggressive enough. I think that has changed in the years since. She is 50, so that has been quite a long time ago.

I'm sure that your daughter has your best interest at heart, but apparently she is not as physically active as you are. I think it is wonderful that you are so active. I am more like your daughter. Although I enjoy being outside, I do not enjoy mowing the lawn and tending a garden. It was my job as a teenager to mow our yard, and I mowed my own yard for a number of years as an adult. I have hired someone to mow for the last several years, and I intend to keep doing so. One of my aunts used to mow her very large yard on a riding mower and also did the mowing that was done with a walk mower. She finally had to slow down some, but she lived until a few months before her 100th birthday, the longest living of all of mother's sisters. Physical activity is beneficial.

I don't have any trouble eating frozen meals such as Amy's. I eat some Lean Cuisine and a couple of other brands that are not as tasty. However, since I have very little taste sensation as a result of the TBM in 2007, the taste does not make as much difference to me as it may to you. The appearance and texture are important, but my demands are not great.

I enjoy eating out and having a variety of food, but I'm generally fine eating by myself at home. I have been single for decades, so it is a way of life for me. You enjoyed Rick's company for many years, so I can understand the transition to being single is somewhat difficult. I'm glad that you are seeing someone that is helping you. It's good that you realized you needed help.

I expect to start driving a couple of weeks after surgery if everything goes well. I waited until about three weeks with the right hip replacement, but I don't use the left leg in driving, so that should not be a problem. The big no-no is driving while taking pain meds. Kaitlyn, Dr. Bradshaw's nurse, told me that they recommend waiting until six weeks to start driving when I asked last time after about three weeks, I acknowledged their recommendation but decided that a recommendation depended on how well a person was doing, so I started driving some after three weeks.

You are so physically active that I think you will be back to normal much sooner than most people who have hip replacements. You are one determined lady! I'm quite certain that I will never be as physically active as you are, but I am looking forward to having the option of doing things instead of not being able to as it has been for me for at least eighteen months to two years. Being physically restricted is not fun. But at least I can walk now with almost no pain except in my left hip. :)

A mere 96 hours from now we will be recovering, me in the hospital and you at home. What fun we will have!

Sheesh I was in a tizzy all day---raking the yard, picking up all the detritus from the trees!! I wish I had evergreens and not deciduous trees in my yard!! I got up at six to take Little Girl (my Corgi) to get her teeth cleaned. They said in an off hand way that she would need lab work. When I go there, she had had two teeth extracted and lab work and anesthesia--the bill was $720!! I almost fainted!! Since Bennie died I have been wondering if I should get another dog--but after today, Little Girl is just going to have to be an only child for me!!!

I am working a soccer game tomorrow from 9 am-5pm. I love being outside, the facility is in the country and it is as beautiful as flat Minnesota can offer. At least it is not in the city!!

@skigirl A vet bill for $720 had to have been a shocker! Little Girl may prefer to be an only child, so this may have worked out to her benefit. :)

Kelly, it sounds like you just have a general disinterest in food these days. If you dislike cooking, like me, or you're bored with the same old, same old, I’m wondering if you’d ever consider one of the many prepared meal service deliveries they have these days?
Possibly different recipes / trying something new, may appeal to you, even if for only a week, or two. I believe you have the freedom to choose your meals. It may be worth considering? Look at it as a treat to yourself!

Layla, I think that it is hard to be single and enjoy food. I don't prepare food just for myself because then I have to do the shopping (which I really hate) the cooking and the cleanup. It is easier to not eat!!

I did buy several kinds of cheese and some crackers for my meals and I have yogurt and blueberries for breakfast. dinner is the meal that leaves me cold--I suppose because I associate it with socializing around the table and not eating off a tray in front of the tv. I am even getting sick of midsommer murders!!

I especially don't like cooking and cleaning up after meat--so I occasionally broil a salmon filet which I have in the freezer or heat up an Amy's bowl but really, I barely eat half of them. So, it is the eating alone that I don't like.

I suppose that is why I like my job as I am often working in the evening hours. There is no solution for this problem--I will adjust or not. I am 10lbs short of my high school weight which is nice too!! I can wear anything in my closet, which is a great feeling.

Layla, I think that it is hard to be single and enjoy food.
I do understand, Kelly. My mom lives alone. She’s tired of meal prep as so many women become after years of doing it out of necessity while raising our kids. What my mom started doing (when she feels like cooking) is always preparing extra as though she’s cooking for two, or more even, then freezes containers, or plates of food. She avoids a lot of cooking and the clean-up that I imagine we all balk at. This way she’s doesn’t need to cook that often, but can still enjoy her favorites, or her own cooking when the mood strikes. I don’t like the shopping part either. I don’t know why…monotony, maybe? I’m struggling to make out a shopping list for the week right now.
Sadly, none of the above eliminates the eating alone factor.
I did buy several kinds of cheese and some crackers for my meals
I often do this at night if I ate a late lunch or early dinner. I never met a cheese I didn’t like. :wink: Crackers too. The possibilities are endless!
There is no solution for this problem--I will adjust or not. I am 10lbs short of my high school weight which is nice too!! I can wear anything in my closet, which is a great feeling.
Atta Girl! Looking at the bright side. Not everyone is as lucky! :SUNsmile:

Wander03 and ski girl, I’m two weeks behind you. We’re of similar age and live alone, if you don’t count the dogs. I’ll be following your recovery stories.
Best to you both on Monday!

Poodle, hopefully you will surpass us both in a quick recovery. Having recovered tw0 knees and one hip, I am tired of being a good support and being happy at each little milestone. Yuck will this EVER be over is my new motto!!

@Poodle3 Thank you for wishing us the best. I’m relatively certain that everything will go swimmingly, and our recovery stories will be encouraging. I am even expecting days three, four, and five to be smoother for me than they were last time. :yes!: That is being positive!

@Layla I want to thank you for showing me those bathroom stands. I ordered two of the for my really deep tub and they are wonderful!! They are absolutely perfect, they make getting into that tub possible for me. Thank you, I never thought of looking for something like that!! I really appreciate your help. Kelly

Aww, you’re welcome, Kelly. I’m glad I could help and that you find them useful.
A member actually suggested them awhile back and we plan to add them to the list of recovery items so I appreciate your feedback on them. Thanks for taking the time to share that. Not long now and you’ll be at home beginning your healing journey and getting back to all you love…without the pain of a failing joint. :yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom