THR Second Hip Replacement

skigirl

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
I have been trying to avoid this for some time, but my back has started to hurt me and I have to admit that the stiff right hip is probably part of the problem. I read a few articles which suggest that the spine flexes if the hip is stiff. I don't want to end up with back problems next, so I decided to replace the right hip, even though it is not that painful right now. I don't love my left hip---it still feels like a new part to me---but, It does not hurt and it works fairly well.

I now live by myself and have decided to come right home after the surgery. I really hated the hospital---I had to fight for a full dose of pain meds with the night nurse and had to wait 20 min every time I wanted to go to the bathroom. I think it will be much easie to be in my own house. I do have a guest room on the first floor and could stay there a night or two if I had to do it, but I most likely will feel better in my own bed. I was able to walk up the stairs quite easily with my forearm crutches the last time and I had the toilets replaced with higher ones the first time too.

I got all of my own meals the first time, so nothing new the second time there!! I really was not very hungry the first week or two, I mostly wanted something to drink. I had a few protein bars around too. I did loose 10 lbs which stayed off after the surgery , so that was a plus of replacing the hip. I think all the extra walking has been good for me. Even my dog lost a few pounds with all the extra walking--we both look a lot better!!

I am going to be 78 next week, so I did hire someone to walk the dogs for a few weeks and will line up someone else to mow the lawn. I enjoyed puttering around with the flowers last time, but I did have the high school girls who walked the dogs also water the flowers for me. School will be out so it will be easier to get help from my neighborhood high school kids.

An early Happy Birthday to you, Kelly!
My back used to “go out“ on me, for lack of a better description, making it impossible to stand up straight and these episodes, while rare could last for days and had me weighing out every move I was about to make. Since my hip replacement, almost five years ago now, I thankfully haven’t had a single episode and can only attribute those events to my deteriorating hip. It seems like you’re choosing the right time to proceed. I wish you all the best!
@skigirl

@skigirl Layla told me in my hip recovery thread that we are having our second hip replacements on the same day. I hope we both recover as well and as seemingly quickly as I am recovering from my first THR. I am not waiting to have my second hip replaced because it is in End Stage DJD, and I don’t want it to collapse as my right hip did. And it is sometimes painful. Will your surgeon use the anterior or posterior approach? I think my surgery having been done with the anterior approach is one reason for my relatively rapid recovery. But the end result of both approaches is the same; a new, no longer painful hip.

My overnight stay in the hospital was not an unpleasant experience as yours seemed to be. I was in Mercy Orthopedic Hospital, which is a small hospital only for orthopedic procedures. I think there was only one time when I had difficulty getting a nurse to come when I called. I thought I could go to the bathroom easily alone with my walker, but my nurses would not allow me to do so. I was told when I asked about my next dose of pain meds that I had to ask for them; the nurses could not give them to me otherwise. And the food! It was delicious. They must have had a 5-star chef; it was that good.

You said you weren’t very hungry the first week or two; that you had a few protein bars around. I made one major change in my diet a number of weeks after my right TKR on July 19 of last year that may have aided in my healing. I don’t eat meat, so I had less protein in my diet than is optimum. I am a pescatarian (eat some fish and seafood) and I do eat dairy,. My daughter pointed out that more protein than was in my diet is needed for healing the body, so I started drinking an Ensure Max Protein (30g protein) each day. I expect to continue drinking the Ensure even after my body has recovered from the surgeries since I think the additional protein is probably beneficial. I can get more protein from vegetables if I focus on protein-rich vegetables, but I don’t always do so.

it sounds like you are quite self sufficient and are well prepared for having your surgery. I am glad that I know what recovery from my second hip replacement will basically be like. i am grateful that recovery from hip replacement surgery is not as challenging as recovery from knee replacement surgery.

Since I was 78 in December, I am about five months older than you. Apparently you, like I was, are quite active. I used a cane for several months before my TKR, so I haven’t had the pleasure of walking unaided for a considerable length of time. I am looking forward to being able to walk comfortably and be physically active as I used to be. Eventually I will probably need a left TKR. I hope I will be able to wait for a few months after my left THR, but I don’t plan to wait as long as I did for my right knee. I say that after both of my hips and both of my knees are replaced, I will be a bionic woman, and will be unstoppable. I see that you will attain that status before I do after your right hip is replaced. I’ll just have to play catch up.

You're well versed having gone through it once already, and it sounds like a very wise decision to me. Most people wait quite late to do the replacement until they are so far gone with pain that they can barely function. It's best to go in before you reach that point, because once you start having problems, more often than not it starts going South quite quickly. I know I will be requesting the other hip quickly when I feel I start having a lot of issues with my right hip. My first replacement was delayed because of my surgeon really wanted me to wait as long as possible because of my age. Had I had the choice, I would have had it done 2-3 yrs ago instead of now.

You're a wise lady, and I would do exactly what you are doing. I would make sure to keep your mind open to the possibility that you might have to stay a night or two. Heaven forbid a minor complication comes up(like I had-blood pressure issues is what I dealt with, which meant I could barely keep my BP elevated enough to make those bathroom trips). That was the only reason I stayed in really(though my surgeon recommended it to because he figured I would have BP issues because of my other health condition).

You wouldn't want to be super disappointed if something small comes up, requiring you to have to maybe spend a night or two.

@PolarIce You do seem to be extremely young to need a hip replacement. But since your surgeon has your best interests at heart, I suppose he wanted you to wait so that your replacement will last until you are older. However, it seems to me that if one needs a hip replacement, one needs a hip replacement. Had I had a choice in my knee replacement, I would have had it a year earlier, but the now retired surgeon that I first saw said I did not need a knee replacement, so he gave me two steroid cocktail shots, then two Synvisc shots. None of them helped me for any length of time if at all. When I saw the OS that did the surgery, the first thing he said when he looked at my x-rays was that the only solution was a knee replacement.

Although I don’t have any health conditions that cause concern, I plan to spend one night in the hospital after my surgery. It appears that is standard for Dr. Bradshaw’s patients, and I would not want to miss the delicious meals like I had last time. Yum. :)

EDITED to add: I have tried multiple times to delete this post, but it continues to reappear. When I read the above post by @PolarIce that was immediately below mine, my impression was that the reply was to me. Shortly after I posted this, I realized the reply was to the post of @skigirl even though her name was not included. But I can’t make this post disappear, so it apparently has to remain.

Last edited:
Hello @wander03, it does seem that we have chosen similar cosmic paths in life!!! My surgery will be anterior procedure. I have begun having twinges in my back and decided that since three surgeons assured me that I have end stage arthritis in that hip that it needs to go. I read an article in the Mayo lexicon that said if you have a flexible back that the stiff hip will cause the back to flex instead. Since I do not want back surgery, I decided to schedule the inevitable hip surgery. I still have problems with the scar on my left hip===I have scheduled an appt with a person who does scar massage---she sounded quite formidable on the phone!!

I have had a tough winter (10/4 hip surgery, 10/20 my partner died suddenly, 2/7 my beloved corgi who was 16 died) and recovering from a major depression so I was a little leery of scheduling surgery too, but I agree that i do not want to wait until I am disabled to do this. I also felt like twinges like @Layla mentioned in my back and I just assumed that it was the hip problem, her description sounds just like what I am having. I hope it goes away like hers did.

I just rented my basement to a young student for the summer, he has a job nearby. I told my daughter she no longer has to worry that I will fall over and die without notice since I now have Lev to call her if I fall!!

I also do not eat meat, but also eat fish and seafood. I do eat cheese as a protein and cannot stand the taste of Ensure as well as being lactose intolerant. They gave me an Ensure in the hospital and I thought I would throw up, just from the smell. The nurse tried to pressure me into drinking it, but there was no way that stuff was going down my throat.

I think I did drink some Naked Juice protein drinks when i had my knee surgeries 2009 and 2010, maybe I might try one of those, they do not have milk in them. I have lost 15 pounds since Oct and am trying to improve my eating habits. I have no interest in food---I had covid in 2019 and I realize that my sense of smell is not totally back after that. Food all seems to taste the same to me so I fix salads which I used to love and I have trouble making myself eat them. I have been eating breakfast out as I cannot stand the smell of eggs cooking. I try to eat an egg in the am since I am looking for protein.

Right now I have to face that I throw away about half of what I fix to eat. I no longer cook at all, so salads, cheese and crackers, peanut butter and Nutella are my diet!! I do still make coffee in the am but I noticed I am using instant coffee too as it is too much work to fire up the espresso machine. It is a combination of eating alone and not being able to taste the food. However, I don't want to loose my muscles!!

My student told me he is teaching himself to cook and asked if he could use the kitchen. I told him to go ahead the only requirement is that he is in charge of kp! I don't think I will start cooking again==cooking for one is not worth the effort!! and the kp!!

At any rate, we can share our recovery stories!!

Kelly, What about small healthy protein snacks throughout the day? I wonder if that could work for you…if you haven’t already tried it? I have a list, that I want to retire out of possible over exposure here, :heehee: but only put it together as ideas for those newly recovering and not having much of an appetite. Nothing new, just sometimes others suggestions are something we haven’t thought of. Here goes -

Nuts, Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Tuna
Beef Sticks
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Chicken Salad
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Cheese Slices
Hard Boiled Eggs
Veggies & Hummus
Edamame
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

Hope you have a nice rest of the week.
@skigirl

Hey Kelly,
There are anecdotal reports of certain OTC antihistamines relieving post covid symptoms such as loss of taste/smell. Benadryl and the non-sedating allergy meds were mentioned. Might be worth a google or conversation with a pharmacist.
Sounds like you're doing great. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery and recovery.

Hmmmm. I have not heard that, but will research it. I do take a Zirtac most days now with the seasonal allergies.

I will have to look this up. I was never a foodie, but this does change my life---not liking to eat is new for me.

And hello to you, @skigirl. Our life paths do have a great number of things in common. It is a delight to.find someone with whom I share so many things.

Your dealing with the demise of your beloved CorgI after having hip surgery and your partner‘s sudden death together with recovering from a major depression indicates that you have a great deal of emotional strength. I, too, hope that your outcome is like that of @Layla.

I think it is great that Lev will be residing in your basement this summer. And your daughter probably has a sense of reassurance as to your welfare and safety with his presence.

I also enjoy eating cheese. I particularly like two Irish cheeses: Kerrygold Grass-fed Dubliner and Grass-fed Reserve Irish Cheddar. There is another cheese I really like that my friend Debra, who lives in Prior Lake, Minnesota, has sent to me that I have been unable to find here, but I don’t recall the name right now. When I find the name, I will let you know what it is.

I had a traumatic brain injury on December 14, 2007, which resulted in my having very little sense of taste and smell. As much as I miss smelling chocolate chip cookies cooking and the smell of a rose, I am grateful that I did not have a loss of cognitive thinking, which happens to many people who gave had TBIs. And then some such as Liam Nelson’s wife Natasha Richardson die. So, I was fortunate. I can “taste” spicy and sour and think I sometimes differentiate among the taste of other foods. Just about the only thing I can consistently smell is my Kiehl’s moisturizer. The fragrance was subtly changed among the last three jars I have had. I liked the fragrance of the third jar ago. It seems I occasionally get a whiff of the smell of other things, but it is not consistent. I generally don’t eat anything if I did not like the taste or smell before the TBI because I expect to regain my senses of taste and smell, and I would prefer not to be eating something I don’t like when that time comes. :) Since I have very little taste or smell, the texture and appearance of food is particularly important to me. And spicy is nice.

I had not drank Ensure before the TBI, so I don’t know if I would like the taste. I think it was inappropriate for the nurse to try to pressure you to drink it, but she probably thought you really needed the protein. I’m quite certain she did not expect to encounter your iron will. Since, on top of not liking the taste of it, you are lactose intolerant, of course you weren’t going to drink it.

I guess I eat because I know my physical body needs for me to do so. I want to maintain physical viability, so eating is necessary. The suggestions of @Layla for protein-rich foods are excellent. Now, if you can only develop a desire to eat. I only cook occasionally. I generally eat frozen meals, like Amy’s since they are vegetarian, and canned foods such as Amy’s soups and chili, spicy preferred. I fix burgers with Morningstar Farms Garden Burgers, and sometimes eat Morningstar Farms Sausage, Egg, and Cheese biscuits for breakfast (veggie). Maybe if you eat small amounts, you can work back up to eating meals. Maybe Lev will cook something that looks good to you.

Since we are both having anterior approach THRs, I will particularly enjoy sharing our recovery stories since I expect that our recoveries will be similar. Just a month and 16 days until June 27!

Last edited:
I was just reading the post of the third person who is having surgery on June 27 and read two weeks!! Yikes!! I have been ignoring the calendar!! i realized that I had to find a few things---like gel packs where the heck are they? the laundry room? I know the crutches are in the garage because I saw them when i was getting my bike down!!

I have been working a part time job lately---one cure for my depression was to get busy!! I work security at events and I love getting out and meeting new people. I often get a chair and have to guard a door or hallway at a concert or soccer game! I find that i don't sit well and find myself pacing for six hours. It has actually been better for my right hip and now I wonder if I did enough physical working out for that hip!! I still do Pilates twice a week, but I am mostly walking for other exercise--two miles with the dog for instance--but, I feel like I need some more organized work outs, so I have asked for formal pt after surgery. I am going to wait until after two weeks to start though because I was pretty lazy after my last surgery---I even watched tv during the daylight hours!!! I can remember my grandmother doing that and it was scary!!

Oh yes, not to self, get more books to read!!

I was not scared at all during the surgery---the nurse told me that I was the calmest patient she had ever had!!
I did have a GA, I am determined that no one will touch my back right now. I don't want anything new in that area. I always recover quickly from GA and am comfortable with that. I rejected a younger surgeon who argued that they used a spinal. Then, I decided that I would not use a surgeon who would not listen to me. Hence my current doc who is very conservative and always uses GA.

He is a nice man who really does listen! I still have no interest in food and have stocked up on energy bars and some of the protein snacks that Layla suggested. I cleaned out my fridge and threw away any food that I no longer eat. I gave away lots of stuff in the freezer too. I also eat mostly stuff that I can cook in the microwave like Annie's bowls and frozen salmon that i do break down and broil. ugh a pan to clean. I would love to use throw away plates and dishes but I just cannot be that thoughtless. I also taste sour and spicy. I find that I love anything with lemon like the lemoncello almonds that I get from Costco. I can still taste a honeycrisp apple and eat lots of them with peanut butter. That is going to be my main after surgery diet. I bought apples and peanut butter and even nutella which I like so much less than i used to do.

I cannot think of anything else to do before surgery? I can wish that I did not have to climb over the bathtub to take a shower---but so far no good fairy has made it go away!!!

@skigirl One week and counting! I am so looking forward to having a second new hip with no pain. It appears that you have maintained a high level of activity, something that I have not been able to do because of the complications with my right knee, but I think the tightness has alleviated some and I am looking forward to amping up my activity level after this surgery. Here’s to uneventful, smooth recoveries.

Yikes one week!! My one daughter insists on coming for the surgery!! I would rather she come later when we could do things together!! But she is coming Sunday night and leaving Tuesday am!! I had to cancel the Lyft I had arranged to get to the hospital!!!

I almost thought of postponing the surgery to the fall but I did fall on the ice three or four times last year so maybe summer is better!! Now I have to wash some sheets and change a bed for Anna!!

Do you have to do the two showers with antiseptic soap? They want you to have clean sheets for both but that is not possible for me!!

I can wish that I did not have to climb over the bathtub to take a shower---but so far no good fairy has made it go away!!!
Kelly, Not sure if you’re familiar with these. I’m guessing there are cheaper ones available on Amazon, and elsewhere. Even though you may only need it for a short time, it may make it easier for you to access the shower in your bath tub. I like how wide they look and not so high to make you feel like you’re teetering on something. Check it out and see what you think.
75A5040A-43B2-4D86-8965-382E57086791.jpeg

@skigirl About the pre-op wash ... yup before my hip replacement my cousin had to help me do that wash as it was front and back but just the night before surgery and no mention of clean sheets though I did make sure I had clean ones on the bed. With the 1st shoulder it was 2 different products the night before with clean sheets. And the 2nd shoulder YIKES 3 different products with a total of 4 different instruction sheets. Had to call my surgeon's nurse to get that sorted out! For me it didn't make much difference in out come - had zero problems with infections with any of the surgeries.

Regarding your question about showers - It sounds like the protocol varies from surgeon to surgeon like so many other things related to this surgery / recovery.

I was instructed to shower with Hibiclens the night before surgery, go to bed with clean sheets and shower again in the morning with Hibiclens before going to my surgery site.

@Layla, I have never seen those before, but it looks like a great idea. I have one of those jucusi tubs in my bathroom (have never used the tub part and never will!!) I have to stretch, just to get over it. I am going to try some of those! Thanks.

@skigirl I am supposed to shower the morning before and the night before and the morning of surgery. I was given two bottles of Hibiclens to use on my entire body except head, face, and private area for which I am to use my own soap. I am supposed to wait one full minute before rinsing off.

I have no instructions about clean sheets, but that would not affect me since I am still sleeping in my lift chair as I have since before my right THR.

I also have a nasal antiseptic that I am to use the night before the surgery. I was given a bottle of solution and four sterile swabs with instructions. There is an alert about the product containing iodine in the event one is allergic to it, which I am not.

My daughter and her husband are driving down from Fayetteville the morning of the surgery to take me to the hospital and spend the day. Well, most of the day. They will have to get back home mid-afternoon to take my six granddogs out to potty and to feed them. We had a party in my room last time. I was high and hyper and pain free with the pain meds from the surgery. They are looking forward to that again. I hope this time is as much fun!

I wanted to be Dr. Bradshaw's first surgery as I was last time, but I am his second surgery on Monday. Jennifer and Pete will be able to come down an hour or so later than last time, so that is good for them. They will come back on Tuesday to take me home and assist me as needed. From Wednesday until the weekend, since Jennifer will be working, I'll need to call my sister or my ex-husband's wife if I need anything. They helped me last time and are willing to help if needed now. But, I expect to be in good shape and to need very little assistance.

Here's to a fun Monday!

I am the first surgery onmonday at 7:30! My daughter is flying in on Sunday and leaving Thursday morning. She insisted on coming! My daughter who lives in Minneapolis has six year old twin girls and an 8 year old son plus she is the cEO of a large company. Anna’s daughter just graduated from high school so she was able to take off from work.

I plan to come home on Monday. They wanted Me to stay until Tuesday but poor Anna had to be there three hours to see the pt , etc. that is just plain silly so I said no. I was bored myself by the Pt who took me up three whole steps and the Ot who asked me if I had a recliner, leg lifter and walker which I do not have.

I feel quite stocked up with a grabber and a lounge doctor pillow!!! Oh yes I have forearm crutches too. Oh yes I also have a long shoe horn that was Bob’s!!!

Do you have a “coach”? I told the hospital that that concept is for couples!!! Widows do not have a person who will take them to all their appts and hover over them. I am insulted that they asked me if I have a coach!!! If it is so important to recovery perhaps they should provide me with one ??

Oh no, she said, just if you WANT one!! I laughed!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
margor