THR Second Hip Replacement a success

tgwal

So my second hip is a success. Had this one done on Monday September 14, 2020, first one was February 6 2013. I think I’m on schedule but still loopy with the pain meds. Backing off some on them tomorrow. First checkup on Monday 21st. Glad it’s done and look forward to a smooth recovery. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi Gretchen and welcome to the healing side! Can you tell me which hip you had done on September 14, 2020? We'll have it added to your signature and it kind of helps folks when they're answering you.

Since its just been a few days I'm going to leave you our Recovery Guidelines, lots of good info there.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you so much! Happy that you're doing so well, good luck on your first pre-op, of course I'm thinking you have this! Give us an update after your visit.

Hello and congratulations on your new hip! Wishing for you a good follow up appointment on Monday. I always felt great after that first appointment and to be told all is looking well.
You had almost 7 years in between your two THR's, are there things that you forgot about with the recovery?

Last edited:
Whew what I don’t remember is the loopiness. And nausea this time. I have some meds for that but I am so tired of sleeping. I cut my oxycodone from a whole to a half pill this morning. Maybe that will help some.

:wave: Welcome back! Thanks for joining us again and congratulations on your new hip!
Sorry you’re experiencing the nausea and feeling so loopy. Hopefully adjusting the dosage as you did helps. Thankfully you have your post op tomorrow and you can talk to your surgeon about all.

Wishing you comfort for today and the best of luck at your appointment on Monday...your one week anniversary already! Let us know how your visit goes.
@tgwal

:hi: All the best for your follow up today.
I certainly had to take my medication to stay comfortable and mobile...but found it was imperative to have some food on my stomach and to drink lots of liquid (along with being diligent with stool softeners)
Maybe your doctor can prescribe something for nausea for you if it is a serious issue.
No one newly recovering from a hip replacement wants to throw up!
I had no appetite so went with some crackers with meds and kept a big bowl of grapes to nibble on.
Hope you feel better this week.

We had a bit of a mixup on the appointment. It got written on my discharge papers incorrectly. I really didn’t need to go back for 6 weeks. However I did see the NP and she checked the incision and all is well. It’s been an exhausting day. PT tomorrow.

Sorry you had a mix up but at least you got to see the NP so it wasn't a complete waste of time. Rest up tonight and take it very easy with PT tomorrow.

I’m now into my 3rd week Post op. Everything is great. I’m walking with the cane only. No more walker. Yay! Pain meds are down to alternating Tylenol and Advil. Still need 1/2 an oxycodone at night. PT came this morning. She’s adding to my strengthening exercises and Thursday will my last in home PT session. I’m pretty sure she’ll set me up with home exercises and I should be good. Six week post op appointment is October 29th. Onward I go!

Wonderful report. Onward to a pain free life full of adventure. Have a peaceful evening. :flwrysmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you’ve been doing well since we last heard from you and delighting in some steady progress.

Wishing you all the best at your appointment in two weeks. Let us know how it goes, we’d love to hear. Enjoy the rest of the week and month! :SUNsmile:
@tgwal

@Layla I’m doing great! Wandering around the house a fair amount without a cane. No pain meds. Just some Tylenol and Advil. I’ll update y’all after my October 29 appointment.

Attachments

• 1603195575005.png
    1603195575005.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 149
I went for my six week postop appointment. Everything looks great. Right where it supposed to be. I’m walking a mile without the cane. Just a little bit of a limp when I first get going. I go back in another six weeks and then in five months. I might’ve overdone it a little bit yesterday but I think that’s to be expected. Looking forward to continuing with no pain. Everyone have a great day

:wave: Hey Gretchen,
What a great update. Thanks for sharing! If you’re still hurting at all today, consider icing. It will help with pain and swelling and heres a tip for losing the limp -

Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Happy Tuesday. I hope it’s a good one!
@tgwal

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to enjoy progress and returning to the things you love....without the pain. Stay in touch and have a good second half of the month. :)
@tgwal

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom