THR Second hip recovery different from the first

I had the same Magsmom. They'd keep asking as if they didn't know or the black mark wasn't there.
Hubby said it was exactly the same with his eye operation.
He panicked and thought they didn't know what they were doing!

He panicked and thought they didn't know what they were doing!
Funny…but not funny. Poor hubs!
Hopefully your foot is feeling better and you have a good week. :)

My knee op was in NY at HSS - was it the same place?
@spongemum how are you feeling now after sleeping on the hip?

Last edited:
I havn't slept on operated hip. Just able to lie on that side for short periods like for a nice cuddle with OH!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How is your recovery going? We’d love to hear about your progress when you have time.
All the best to you!
@spongemum

In many respects almost forgotten I've had the op. Friends and family say I look taller! Recovery seems quicker than first hip. Managed to have a bath no trouble over 2 weeks ago.
Only gripe is a funny muscle twang behind left knee and brief loss of strength. Got it pushing shopping trolley the other day. It's painful but seems to just go away.
Had to build up fitness after doing stuff slowly for so long. Can get up stairs now without breathlessness and panting for example!
Feel lucky lucky lucky to be in this position again.
My happiest moment was visiting my son recently and holding my Grandson who's a toddler now. I couldn't even hold his weight as a small baby unless someone out him on my lap before the op.
You read a lot of folks struggles on this site and acknowledge the despair many can feel.
It does show how social media can have a good and positive side as well as bad!
I'm sure a problem shared is a problem halved can still stand the test of time especially when we can identify with others.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and you continue to enjoy steady progress. I’ve added your RTHR in 2013 to your signature. Let us know the date and we’ll edit your signature to reflect that info.
Wishing you a wonderful New Year!
@spongemum

Friday 13 2013 ironically.
I'm feeling apprehensive and tbh frightened at the moment.
I finally got my post op appt last week.
For some reason it was originally Xmas Eve but a bit early to get to as a 75 mile journey so I cancelled it and was offered one on 7th January.
I don't know why it was 12 weeks rather than six weeks but assume it was something to do with the pandemic. Anyway that appt was cancelled at short notice to last week and it was not good news.
Apparently there is a shadow on my xray adjacent to the stem on my right hip which was done in 2013.
The consultant related this in a could be very bad news way but I don't think I took it in tbh.
He said he was sending me for further tests then on Saturday I got appts for a CT Scan and MRI and a SPECT Scan at another hospital.
In his letter he uses a word that when i googled it means a serious infection or malignant tumour.
Obviously the first is treatable the second not.
I have had some aching but after getting rid of the severe pain of the left hip I felt upbeat and had a new lease of life.
I'm too terrified to research it much but worry that if it's an infection I shouldn't be waiting but getting treatment immediately.

Hello spongemum,
I‘m sorry to read this news and realize that it’s frightening you. I think you’re wise in not researching further right now since you mentioned you’re terrified to do so. Wait until you get the results from the scans you have scheduled as you could be worrying yourself needlessly. If it is discovered to be an infection, or malignancy, it doesn’t mean you can’t deal with either and have your health restored. Please don’t lose hope. I will pray for your comfort and peace of mind as you await further tests and results. We’re here for you always. Sending a hug your way and wishes for a peaceful day. :console2:
@spongemum

Hi @spongemum
I too hate that are you have received concerning news regarding your first hip replacement :unsure:

Apparently there is a shadow on my xray adjacent to the stem on my right hip which was done in 2013.
The consultant related this in a could be very bad news way but I don't think I took it in tbh.
I wonder if it is next to the stem but within the femer bone? The reason I ask is that seems to be the tell-tale sign of possible loosening (toggling) of stem per our Nurse Emeritus, as she was quite the expert xray reader...
That would definitely need attention also but would not be infection or tumor.

in his letter he uses a word that when i googled it means a serious infection or malignant tumour.
Obviously the first is treatable the second not.
Gee...would you mind sharing the word?

I am hoping the imaging will give clear indication if and what the problem is. Please try not to project in advance (I know...easy for me to say)

Hugs xxxxx

It’s horrible to have scary information @spongemum, especially when it hasn’t been explained / you haven’t taken it in. Try not to worry, certainly my bit of Googling of the phrase didn’t direct me to thinking it was likely to be a tumour! I would guess it’s in your bone, around the prosthesis, not next to your bone, and might mean you have some stem loosening. Do you know / remember whether it was cemented?

Hope it’s not long to your appointments. If they let you have someone with you when you go, it might be worth having them write everything down / ask questions. Not sure where we are with taking people to appointments with Covid, it wasnt allowed when I had my operation and follow up. Hoping it’s nothing serious.

My OH is taking the day off and coming with me but he won't be able to come in. The MRI is in the morning a week tomorrow and the CT in the afternoon. The Spect scan I haven't heard yet.
You have made me feel less daunted. I suppose the Consultant was conveying bad news but hopefully not a bad as I was envisaging.
Thanks folks. I should have thought of asking you guys earlier.

13th has always been lucky for me. I really don't understand why health professionals throw out might be diagnosis when there are further tests to be done and no good can come of it for the patient only worries. I know it's easy to say but for now don't worry and keep positive thoughts that it's just a shadow on a bad scan.

@spongemum I agree with the others, try not to over think this right now, even though we know that's hard to do. Definitely stay away from Dr Google as you can go down a bazillion rabbit holes causing needless worry.

I can somewhat relate to your anxiety as I had a procedure done right before Christmas. Most of what the doc told me after the procedure went over my head due to still having anesthesia in my system. I have read the lab report but have absolutely no idea what it means. Tried to Google different things and it just made it worse. Decided to just do whatever to keep myself occupied until I see the doc for her prognosis. Thank goodness it's this Friday. :friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom