TKR Second guessing second TKR

If I had waited until I couldn’t tolerate the pain any longer, I would still be waiting for surgery. While my X-rays were terrible, I was never in a lot of pain. My surgeon was amazed when he did both surgeries. My knees were in terrible shape and he was surprised that I didn’t have a lot of pain. Everyone is different. I had the surgeries when it was convenient for me.

So I'm back to considering my second TKR. I chickened out last year because my knee started feeling a little better. Now it's back to hurting with every step. The reason I'm dragging my feet is because my last recovery was veeeeeery slow. I could walk right away but it took a full six months before I could ride my bike - which is a huge part of my life. I can ride my bike right now and giving that up for another six months and getting fat while sitting around waiting for my ROM to improve isn't something I want to do again.

So my question to you folks who have had both knees replaced-
Was the healing process the same for both of the surgeries or did ROM return quicker with one than the other?

I'm not worried about ROM returning slower with a second TKR because I don't think that's possible (I didn't get past 90 degrees until month SIX last time). I'm just worried about another six month recovery before I can ride again.

Last edited:
I don't think the *healing* was faster, but I felt like my second recovery was slightly easier b/c my first knee was now so good-- I had been able to do a bit of exercise in the intervening time and was in a bit better shape.

The one thing I can say @bertschb, is that the worse the damage gets in your knee, the longer the recovery will be. Something to consider as you weigh your alternatives.

I agree with FCBayern . My most difficult recovery was the first one, a PKR done after a wait of 9 years, because I was considered "too young" . By the time I had the surgery, my knee had deteriorated badly and needed a lot of work.

When my second knee needed replacing, I had it done as soon as possible and my recovery was much easier.

My second one settled down just as quickly as the first, but after 18 months it's never been as good. A bit stiff!
But I never forget that they were 10 years apart, I'm now 73, so lots of joints aren't as good as they once were.
I accept what it is, no point in my wishing otherwise. But I NEVER regret doing it. I always knew I would have to give up limbo dancing at some stage

This morning I posted the following:
"My left TKR is scheduled on May 19. I am 69 years old, weight 165 lbs and height 5'2".
I have no other health issues with the grace of God.

Posting this on recovery forum because after reading many posts about the post-surgery pain and problems, I am having second thoughts about having the surgery. I have given below my condition details.
1. I can walk about a mile at a stretch without pain. I walk minimum 2-3 miles everyday in breaks.
2. I can do the stairs holding the railing.
3. My general pain level on 1 to 10 scale [10 being max] is around 3.
4. I am comfortable if I take 1 Aleve on alternate days [3 to 4 a week].
5. I cannot do squatting, sitting or kneeling on the floor. Absence of these activities does not affect my life style.

Since this is a major surgery cutting through the nerves and muscles, would appreciate the advise so as to undergo the surgery or not from the experienced and helpful group like this.

Thank you in advance. "

I have bilateral lateral and patellofemoral knee arthritis. MY knee arthritis is primarily patellofemoral with some medial component involvement.
My most recent x-rays show K-L 4 [severe] on the left and K-L 3 [Moderate] on the right.
My doctor had left to me to decide whether to have knee replacement and when to have it. My pain level is mild to moderate.
I plan to go for right TKR in August after 3 months of LTKR as advised by my doctor.

After reading many views on this thread, I am tilting towards getting it done. I am already close to 70. Only thing, recovery is scary! :scare:

Well, I now have my second TKR (right side this time) scheduled for May 12th. I've had two back surgeries and a TKR and I was never the least bit worried about any of those surgeries. But, after my experience with my first TKR, I am NOT looking forward to this next one.

The reason I'm dragging my feet is because my last recovery was veeeeeery slow. I could walk right away but it took a full six months before I could ride my bike - which is a huge part of my life. I can ride my bike right now and giving that up for another six months and getting fat while sitting around waiting for my ROM to improve isn't something I want to do again.
Your recovery may have seemed slow to you, but it was well within normal limits. Complete recovery from a TKR is going to take a full year, no matter how much you wish it didn't. It's a different kettle of fish from other surgeries, from which you might recover faster.

We still use your record of ROM development as an example of slow and steady progress that ends well.
You may, or you may not, experience faster ROM development for your second TKR.

And you know yourself, that nothing except a TKR is going to fix your knee.

But, after my experience with my first TKR, I am NOT looking forward to this next one.
Try to focus on the end result, when you can live without that awful knee pain.
You'll be able to ride your bike again, but you will need to find a store of patience. It will be worth it in the end.
good things take time.jpg

Try to focus on the end result, when you can live without that awful knee pain. You'll be able to ride your bike again, but you will need to find a store of patience. It will be worth it in the end.

What wonderful advice. That pretty much sums it up.

Right now every step hurts so I guess I just need to bite the bullet and not plan to ride my bike again until next year. The good news is I'll walk pain free by this summer!

Right now every step hurts so I guess I just need to bite the bullet and not plan to ride my bike again until next year. The good news is I'll walk pain free by this summer!
That's the way!
Orthopaedic surgery is odd - nothing seems to happen fast, but it's worth it in the end.

I could walk right away but it took a full six months before I could ride my bike - which is a huge part of my life. I can ride my bike right now and giving that up for another six months and getting fat while sitting around waiting for my ROM to improve isn't something I want to do again.
I know it's difficult when you're going through it, but if you can, try and focus on each good thing as it happens. Your first steps on a strong knee. Getting pain under control. Being able to walk outside. Your first drive in the car. It's many small steps forward that get a person to their goal. In the time that you're waiting to ride your bicycle, take that as an opportunity to do something "out of the box" for your normal life. There is no need to nor should you be "getting fat while sitting around waiting for your ROM to improve." You live in a drop-dead gorgeous state. Once you get feeling up to it, take some short trips to play tourist in your state or city. Visit and do some walks in parks or other scenic areas. If you're near enough to the coast, just a few hours enjoying the view and sound of the ocean can work wonders.

We'll be with you in your recovery. You've made the right choice to get your knee repaired so that it doesn't get any worse. I suggest you register for our upcoming Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 8th. The timing couldn't be better for you with your surgery on the 12th. You can ask questions of the surgeons if you like or just listen to the presentations and round table discussions. There will be conversations about the improvements that have occurred since your last surgery in 2016. Pain management in particular has dramatically changed since then.

We still use your record of ROM development as an example of slow and steady progress that ends well.
Yes, we do, and I know that your recovery thread encouraged me a lot, as I thought my ROM would never improve. It wasn’t fast (not much is in this recovery is, except setbacks!) but I had continued improvement in my second, and even my third year, post op.
Well, I now have my second TKR (right side this time) scheduled for May 12th. I've had two back surgeries and a TKR and I was never the least bit worried about any of those surgeries. But, after my experience with my first TKR, I am NOT looking forward to this next one.
I hope that we will be a good support and encouragement for you with this new surgery as you have already been to many of us.

You may, or you may not, experience faster ROM development for your second TKR.
This is what you wrote and what we use to encourage others that are concerned about their ROM:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
Don't worry about your ROM Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

You've got this @bertschb! As you know recovery takes patience and isn't fun, but living pain free afterwards is a substantial reward for that (over all) short period of time.

With my second knee I kept thinking "is it really bad enough?" because it wasn't as desperately bad as my first knee had been. But it was so worth it in the end!

You folks are amazing! Your supportive comments are very encouraging. It's good to hear there have been advances in pain management. I seem to recall days 2 and 3 were the worst for me. When I stood up, it felt like my knee would explode. It was sooooooooo swollen. I'd love to skip over those days for my 2nd TKR!

I just spoke with a neighbor this evening who had his first TKR a few months ago and he said he was given the On-Q device for pain management and was pleased with the results. I'll ask my surgeon about that when I see him on the 3rd.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back