Bilateral THR SeaSiren's sweet new hips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi SeaSiren How is everything going for you? Send us a post when you feel up to it. I'm interested in how you're getting on. Take care.

Hellloooooooo Oh SeaSiren How are you? Where are you? You're my fellow bilateral, how is it all going now?
You're almost 3 weeks out - I remember that as being when I could finally stop my Coumadin for the blood clots, I was walking a bit better, less like Frankenstein, but still not that good, I started out-patient PT, and was still using a cane. I tried to drive, but it hurt, so I waited. What's going on for you? Please give us a post so we know you're OK. Take care, we're thinking of you.:flwrysmile:

Hello everyone... I'm baaaackkkkk :yahoo: A thousand apologies for my 2 week disappearance. Thank you all for your sweet concern... TennisNut beckylou ByGosh Littlejem nmscienceteacher anniemg bottomshollow zauberflöte sandybeach Allycat Poppet Peaches (and anyone else I've missed!!) It's been a whirlwind of a couple of weeks (good & bad) and I just chose to stay away from my computer for awhile. The good is I'm finally off all narcotics and cumadin so feeling much better now the fog has lifted (interesting how much stuff was a big blurr)... still on walker and crutches but cruising along very well. At PT outpatient 3x week and hope to get behind the wheel for a little drive this weekend... look out! The tough stuff is I'm having horrific bursitis pain... ugggg. I knew I had it prior to surgery and thought it might go away with the new twins... not! It's worse with PT and they won't give me cortisone shots for another 3 weeks. The yucky part is it hinders the physical therapy... anyway... suffering bouts of the blues too... :groan: enough whining! Have had some family upsets - 80 yr old Mom-in-law has cancer and got shingles a few weeks ago and was self medicating and got hooked - so is in rehab! Dad-in-law has Alztheimers and can't be alone so my poor hubby has had to jockey between his folks and me alternating nights - so it's been tough. OK enough about moi... how are all my buddies!???? I've spent time going through posts so I'm sort of caught up... but I'll go visit on your recovery posts... glad to be back... xoxoxo

Hi SeaSiren !!!! So glad you're ok, although it's a bummer about the bursitis! I had it pre-op and it's still there post-op, as with many OA people, unfortunately. Mine isn't too bad, thank god. There's some info in the library here about it, and Josephine said that moist heat has really helped her. I use either moist heat or ice, and both do feel good, I like the heat best - it's so soothing. I've also started using Arnica gel from Rite Aid - lots of THR people here use it. Poppet recommended it for inflammation and healing. At least you can get some cortisone for the bursitis in a few weeks- that's good news, only too bad you have to suffer til then. Yes, go easy with the PT, as bursitis gets aggravated by activity. You'll get to where you need to be, even if you don't push PT.

So sorry to hear about your family issues. That puts an extra unneeded stress on your recovery. And poor hubby, shuttling back and forth. And poor M-I-L, with her multiple issues. My goodness, the woman has been through a lot. Can't they put her in touch with a pain clinic and give her some long acting meds that will help the pain? Gee, cancer pain and shingles pain, too? What a lot to deal with. Very rough for all of you, that's for sure.

But you have to take care of youself right now SeaSiren. You're only 3 weeks post-op, and it's a big surgery and big recovery you're going through. I'm glad you don't need your narcotics anymore, and that you're getting around well. The blues are sooo common post-op. I think we all got them at one point or another. I still have a cry once in a while. Try not to let it get you too down, though. It'll pass. It's all the stress your body has suffered, and everything you're still going through. Please don't be afraid to keep talking about it here - everyone can relate to just what you feel like, and lots of others will be happy to give you encouragement.
Oh yes, there's info on that in the library, too! Not surprising, since it seems to happen to all of us.

Keep us posted on what's happening, OK? We're all here for you! Oh, I need to ask you about TENS - quickly - but, do you find yours helpful? I don't have a chiropractor or anyone to refer to about it, but I can get the same machine TennisNut has on-line. Will I know how to use it on my own? Do you find it helpful? There's no way I can hurt myself if I read the instructions and use it cautiously, is there? How long have you had one? Thanks for any info you can provide! Talk to you later, and take good care or yourself. I've been thinking of you a lot and I'm so glad you finally posted, bilateral friend!:friends:

Welcome back, SeaSiren ... and I am so sorry about your MIL and the stress you and your family have been going through. And so sorry about the bursitis and the blues as well. This recovery is very complex, as others wiser than I have said here. I have read about others who are suffering from bursitis, so I hope you can get some helpful advice along the lines. And i do understand needing to take a computer break. But hope you will come back and post or just read--whatever helps you the best--whenever you need to. Please take care.

SeaSiren oh my what a two weeks you have had. It seems like "stuff' just follows after 'other stuff', doesn't it. I'm overjoyed that you are doing so well, and very bummed about the bursitis. I hope when you get to the shots (I wanted to ask my OS if he could shoot up the other hip in the OR, but chickened out...) that they give you relief , long lasting! The blues are normal. I had a crying fit the other day AT my poor husband, who had done nothing except try to please me. Oh the poor man. I also get very crabby, and figure that's also the blues. It's good to know it's "normal"!
All your family goings-on. Your long suffering hubby, he's a gem. I hope the pain issue can be resolved in favor of your m-i-l, and that f-i-l can be provided with some sort of relief care?
Good luck with your drive! I haven't tried yet-- maybe this weekend. Did you have a 2 week followup? If so how did it go? Details, if you feel like it :)
Come visit me on my thread when you have time. I'm doing well; only one hip to heal. Off the cane except I take it with me to walk in the street, and in the store-- I can take up the whole sidewalk between me and my cane sticking out, so nobody can bump me. Longest single walk about 8 minutes; I took 4 of those today plus one aborted one which had a miserable hot panting cat following me, crying all the way poor girl! I've only been on two errands so far, they about killed me! Still weaning off percocet onto tylenol, and can't go back on ibuprofen till Saturday when the Celebrex will have finished. I don't think the 1/2 percocet is doing much except making me mildly woozy. It's unpleasant now, no more fun drugs! Will be glad to see the end of it, maybe next week sometime. Sleep has gotten worse. It was fine, but turns out it was the percocet putting me to sleep, sigh. Less percocet, more wide eyes in the dark.
There. Your turn now :) :)

Oh poor girl SeaSiren you have had it rough over the last 2 weeks and not being able to check in with us for support!! I'm so sorry to hear about the in-laws, your poor husband won't know which way to turn, he'll want to be with you and them. My mum had Altzimers so I know just how wearing it can be to look after someone with it and trying to not get cross when they constantly repeat themselves. I hope your blues fade very soon and that your pain goes and allows your recovery to improve. :)

SeaSiren... Lovely to have you back amongst your BS buddies...

Try a mixture of olive oil (as the carrier oil) with a few drops of tea tree and a few drops of eucalyptus oil and massage it into the are of your bursitis.. Gets lovely and warm and draws the blood supply to the area.

Do a skin test first to make sure you have no sensitivities.... Good to have you back :)

Hello SeaSiren

Good to see another bilateral on the site. Sorry to hear life isn't co-operating in your recovery. Lots of issues cropped up for me too, just when you want to concentrate on your own recovery other things take over.

Really hope everything settles down soon, will look out for news of your progress.

Take care xx

Thank you dear friends zauberflöte, ByGosh, Peaches, Littlejem, Poppet & Hermione for words of support!! Feeling a bit brighter today... really shouldn't have strayed from Bonesmart!:SUNsmile: such a fab group you are! I have to research more in the library about this dreaded bursitis... really hurts more than the old joint pain... :sigh: . I will definately try your recipe Poppet -- sending hubby aka 'Tony the Tiger' (because he's ggrreeaaattt'!) out to get those oils this week :yes!:.
I had my 2-week post op last week and it went well. He measured all my angles... was a tad concerned about one of the incisions not healing too well... on my right side, where my 'bend' is it's still sore and sort of open. I think I sit up way too much and it stretches and pulls a bit there... But all in all I'm right on target and he's pleased - except for the bursitis of course.... he'll do the shots at my 6-week.
As for the in-law situation, hubby & sister met w/social workers yesterday to make a plan to move them and their dog to assisted living in the next month or so... it'll be a relief to have them cared for properly. So there's light at the end of that tunnel (sort of) at least in terms of all the jockeying and night stays returning to normal... soon.
... and zauberflöte why can't you just have 1 percoset at bedtime!!? For a restful, painfree :sleep:...

SeaSiren so glad you're batter today, er, better!
"measured all your angles"? All I got was a "ok if I look at your scar?". You want to elevate the legs-- I did that 90% of the time for 3 entire weeks, and now I'm sitting at the computer my feet swell-- so I see some elevation in my future tonight. Also I wore very very soft clothes. Today I put on some lightweight cargo pants that have a few seams around the pockets, not a problem, yay!. I still have this dang clear, heavy, sticky tape on most of the scar-- I don't think it's ever going to come off! So I have extra protection.
I do have 1 perc+2 small tylenol at bedtime-- it's not enough. 2 or even 1 1/2 made me sleepy, 1 doesn't. Or, maybe I shouldn't eat cheerios to wash it down with? Last night I had a loverly sleep, I hope I can do it again soon. I woke up so refreshed, every time I woke up, which was a lot LOL. I'm not sure the perc is doing much for the pain that I'm pretty sure isn't there, anyway haha! 8-9 hours after a dose, all i feel is...the "good" hip! I used to take 3 tylenol, 2 advil, and the 5mg valium. Sleepy in 10 minutes, irresistible, and fair pain management. 4 hours sleep guaranteed. I want that back, argh! Another week of tapering, then I'm home free! (fingers crossed knock on wood LOL)

That sounds just perfect for the in-laws. Make sure you can simply observe from afar... I hope they are as wonderful to you as my m-i-l is for me-- I'm her fourth daughter, and she's very good at mothering :)

SeaSiren oh my sweet hipsisa! I'm so sorry to hear that life and its unfortunate mishaps got tangled in with exactly the time you needed for peace, love and support !:console2: I hope those circumstances that can change does so quickly and effortlessly so that you and your family can find harmony. Take it slow and care for yourself - it was good to hear from you! When you need a cry or a hug, your bone smarties are all lined up! Take care sis! :flwrysmile:

seaSiren, hang in there...my heart goes out to your husband. Dealing with aging parents is sooo difficult. I hope the move to other quarters works easily and smoothly for everyone. I hope that Poppets recipie works to give you some relief. keep focusing on how much progress you have made with your new hips. Hope you get a chance to take that drive this weekend revel in the freedom driving will give you! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hi SeaSiren you definitely sound a lot cheerier today and the prospect of your in-laws getting some support soon must be a huge relief to you and your husband. glad you got some help from Poppet, her remedies are very helpful so fingers crossed for it!! :)

Hi Bilateral Sister SeaSiren Gee, a few of us are claiming you as our sister here. You're very easy to get attached to! :)
I am relieved that your in-laws are getting all straightened out, thank god for that. It is such a big worry when they start to deteriorate and need help. It's fortunate that Tony the Tiger was able to accomplish such a huge undertaking with little resistance. Often they'll adamantly refuse to budge from home, and then it's so much worse.
So good for him and his sister! Your in-laws are lucky to have kids who will help them out when they need it.

Now, for you, honey. Darn that bursitis! Try the ice and the heat and if you have those oils Poppet suggested.. And in two weeks you can get the shots that will hopefully do the trick. Once that's under control, you'll feel a whole lot better.
I finally started taking Prednisone by mouth for my on-going 'soft tissue inflammation' aka pain in the groins. It's helped some, lets hope it helps lots and this goes away so I can function again.

Keep your spirits up. It's a long haul with lots of ups and downs. Remember that when you're down, you'll always come back up again. Especially if you get it all out here - really - so many helpful responses from people who know what you're going through, have been through it themselves, and who empathize and care. And lots of good tips, too.
Take care, SeaSiren. You're doing great! It just goes very slowly and takes more time than you thought it would. But you'll get there in the end. We all will.

Oh you're indeed like a beloved sis to me too ByGosh :cheers:! Thanks for your concern about me and my in-laws! Actually that situation is certainly a work in progress... they're not yet aware of the plan to move them... :sigh:. Mom's still in nursing home and Dad went wandering yesterday and was found by a neighbor. Tomorrow Tiger and sis are checking out 2 facilities... we're sure there WILL be resistance... but sadly there's no choice for their care and safety. Tough stuff indeed.

I'm glad you're starting to feel some releif with the prednisone... I sure hope they get to the root of your pain... it's just too much for you! Makes my surgical discomfort and frustration pale to your troubling aches :boohoo:. Hang in there Sweets... I'll be posting my 4-week update soon... maybe tonight if I'm up to it!

Today marks my 4 weeks post-op... :yay:. The first two weeks were really a big blur of sleeping primarily on the couch and dreaming of my bed... way, way upstairs! I still look around and see various nice plants & gifts around the house and ask Tiger where they came from... this friend or relative brought them! Don't remember!! Those doggone narcotics a blessing... and a curse - in more ways than amnesia! (thank God you all told me about the prunes! :wink:)

I am coming to terms that the healing is going to happen at it's own sweet pace. I definately had unrealistic expectations! Figured by now I'd have ditched the walker/crutches and just be on a cane... almost there. Also thought I'd be working solid 1/2 days and driving -- hopefully by next week. Able to work in my home office about 2 hours daily... then pain gets too much to sit at my desk. Especially the bursitis - so sore when my hips rub against the sides of my office chair... groan. I had assured my clients I'd be back in action at least 1/2 time this week so the projects and emails have begun uhoh... sigh A little stress is building up! Feel like I'm letting them down! :hairpulling: Driving... hmmm had big plans to get behind the wheel last weekend. Hubby vetoed that one. My hips aren't healing at the same rate - right side way behind... still feels like a boat anchor, can't lift more than few inches - ok for gas pedal... not so good getting over to the brake! :umm:

My world feels quite 'small' somehow... but it's sort of ok. Still can't focus on reading books or watching movies... so I've found myself enjoying seeing the birds at the feeder and are facinated watching my cardinals, finches, robins and chickadees... my 3 sweet pussycats join me in that pastime!!! :kittykiss:

I did have a bit of breakthough with the pain a few days ago and found myself taking wee walks around the house sans any aids... yipee :yay:

So other changes have included new swelling of my thighs/hips... and a little groin pain that's new in my right side. Still icing a few times a day and I've gone back to taking a percoset in the afternoon (especially after PT) and another at bedtime with a benedril to help sleep. My mood fluctuates -- have weepy periods followed by very cheery moments?!

So my goals in the next week are driving!!! Take my first walk around the neighborhood (got walking sticks from PT) Cook a fabulous meal for my amazing hubby and try not to get frustrated by all the things I CAN'T do and applaud myself on the little accomplishments :spin:

I'm sooo looking forward to reading my other hip-sista's 4-week progress reports... zauberflöte, TennisNut & beckylou!!! :friends: xoxo

:flwrysmile: Great update Seasiren! I say embrace recovery and just do what you can. It gets better slowly but surely

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88