BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Scuba Diving after a knee replacement?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by FCBayern, Jan 25, 2019.

1. FCBayern

FCBayern member

United States United States
    Has anyone here had experience with scuba post TKR? I'm scheduled to go to the Caribbean in late may and I'm hoping I can dive.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello, @FCBayern
    I've moved your post to a thread of its own. I think you'll get more answers that way. Your post was also off-topic in the thread where you placed it.

It will only be 4 months since your TKR when you go to the Caribbean. Since complete recovery from a TKR takes a full year, 4 months may be a bit soon for your knee.

I haven't done scuba diving , but I have snorkeled with a knee replacement.

I found that using flippers for snorkeling did put a strain on my new knee. I had to kick mostly with the other leg, and even then I had to reduce the amount of time I spent in the water. The flippers put much more strain on my knee than swimming without flippers did.

I can't offer any advice about whether or not the rest of your body will be fit enough for scuba 4 months after major surgery. I think you should ask your own doctor about that, and possibly have a medical examination. The last thing you need is to have problems while you're under water. Better safe than sorry!

3. Jajakio

Jajakio graduate

I do think 4 months might be pushing it. My sister and her husband dive a lot and she got back to diving after knee replacement but it was more like 9 months out for her. If you try it, be sure you have a quick way back if you tire more quickly than you anticipate. Just hanging in the water and ascending slowly probably won't be bad but a lot of swimming with flippers may well create tiredness/discomfort with the knee.

4. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

I just saw your thread. I'm a diver and did my first dive at 6 mos. post-surgery. I found the tank was too heavy to enter from the shore, so I had to gear-up in the water. This won't be a problem if you're boat diving. I bought new split fins so there wasn't as much pressure on my knee as blade fins can create. I think the main thing that was hard for me was that I became tired very quickly. I can honestly say that I don't think I would have felt safe diving at 4 months post TKR, but everything will depend on you and how quickly you recover. Your experience as a diver will matter too. Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  5. agarrett

agarrett member

Are you still going this month? I didn’t dive til about 8 months but needed help with gear and struggled with the boat ladder. Underwater I was fine. But even the giant stride depending on my TKR leg angel was felt on entering the water. Since then I have dove several times and this last time last month which was two years plus post TKR - had not thought about my knee at all!!!

Good luck and have fun, just adjust and be willing to ask for help.

Right TKR 27 December 2016