THR Scorow's Recovery Thread

scorow

Country
United States United States
Well, here we go. Headed to the hospital in about an hour for surgery scheduled to begin in about 3 hours. Glad that the waiting is over and ready for the challenge of recovery.

You are going to do great. :friends:
Will be looking for you when you are up to posting.
That new hip is going to put you back to healthy and happy :tada:

By the time you're reading this the anxious waiting game will be over. I was ecstatic to wake and realize surgery was finally behind me. I was on a high all day! Drugs could have contributed too I guess, lol.
I hope your pain is well managed from the beginning. Ice like it's your job. It truly helps. :ice: We'll look forward to hearing from you when you're resting comfortably and feeling up to it.
All best wishes!

@scorow Hope by now you are done and dusted. I look forward to following your recovery.

Here are your guidelines to refer to if needed.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I'm glad, Jaycey, is on the ball with the Recovery Guidelines since Mojo and I are slacking. :heehee: Between us all we've got you covered!
I Yi Yi, lol.

Hopefully you're just about done and they're moving you to recovery and then on to your room. Rest while you can and definitely ask for ice. :friends: :flwrysmile:

Thanks, all. I'm on the other side. Case before me cancelled so I got in early and was my doc's first case. Just amazing how you are wheeled to the OR and seemingly seconds later wake up in your room.

They got me up not long after I woke up and still quite groggy, but only a few steps. Pain is tolerable, but I know it's early yet. Overall, it is quite a relief just to get it done and start moving forward.

And again, thanks to all on this site who share their experiences and insight. It is a big deal any way you look at it, and talking with those who have gone before is invaluable.

Yay, it's over! :happydance:So good to hear from you!
I hope they keep your pain well managed and you can get some well deserved rest.
Let the healing begin. :)

Woohoo, you're officially here on the recovery side! If they aren't keeping your pain under control don't be afraid to ask for either a dose if you feel it's been too long or something else if what they give you doesn't seem to work. If you start feeling nauseous let them know so they can give you something. Hope you have a restful night and get some sleep.

So far, so good on pain. I'm kind of expecting it to be worse tomorrow when all of the surgical pain stuff wears off and I start getting more mobile. But now - 9 hours after completion - not feeling bad at all.

Good to see you on the other side! I hope you can snag some sleep tonight.

You are correct, isn't that something about getting wheeled in and then poof! You are waking up with a new hip. I still marvel about it.

Scorow,

You are going to be amazed In a week.

You might be amazed tomorrow ... my last narcotic was the night of the op. Not because I’m tough (I am not), but because Tylenol, by itself worked so well I didn’t need the narcotics. The advantage was I was clearheaded.

We’re all different so listen to your body.

Elevate and ice 45-60 minutes, then walkabout, then elevate and ice ... repeat ... repeat ... repeat.

Most herein say skip the PT, if it prescribed. Your body needs the time.

Take it easy, relax and heal.

Not much sleep last night. Very minimal pain, but the meds or something just kept me from being sleepy.

PT came by this morning with the minimal isometric exercises and heal slide. The latter definitely did cause some pain. Then did two laps of the floor with the walker. Not too bad - some pain, but mostly just very "tight". Back in bed now with no residual pain, so that's encouraging.

Plan is for a shower here after a bit then discharge. About a 2 hour drive home, so not really looking forward to that.

So far, so good. But that first walk certainly gave me an idea of how far I have to go. That said, I am 100% committed to taking it slowly as advised by everyone here. I was a member of the ODIC years ago after knee arthroscopy and know how easy it is to fall into that trap.

Good Morning and a Happy Thursday to you :wave:
Yay...you're going home soon!

Hopefully you'll sleep better once your back home in your own space without the unwelcomed interruptions of your surgery site. With any luck you'll be able to sneak in a comfy nap later today.

First showers feel great....but they can be draining, so be prepared. Doesn't take much to wear you out in these early days. You may recall that from your knee arthroscopy years ago.

See if they can fix you up with some baggies of ice if they don't send you with a gel pack for the ride home.

A helpful hint (helped me anyway) for getting into the car is to have your driver bring a plastic garbage bag to place on the seat. It works great to swivel into front facing (windshield) position without much effort and the need to gingerly shift around. Also works great for positioning yourself in bed, then removing once you're in your desired position.

Safe travels home! Let us know how the trip went once you're resting comfortably and up to posting. We'll be here. :)
@scorow

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks