Standard Shoulder Replacement Schpooko's TSR Recovery

Hi, everyone. Tomorrow starts week 4!!! Yippee... This recovery has been strange to say the least. I have gained a great gratitude for many things. 1) My left hand. One handed typing is awful and eating is a challenge. 2) Sleep. I hate sleeping sitting up (but I am doing this none the less). I am a stomach sleeper and who knows when that will resume and I cannot wait for that day.

Then there is the boredom. I am so tired of TV but what else is there to do.

BUT most of all, THIS SLING. I have three more weeks of this thing. I know you all know what I am talking about but gosh! this is yucky (to say it mildly). This is my complaint of today.

I got all the staples out - 53 to be exact. My surgeon is thorough, just kidding. Oh! there were 53 but I had 43 with the knee so I was kind of familiar with my doctor's work. But he is a great surgeon. I am going to put a scar pic on when the steri-strips fall off.

Still taking pain meds at night so it does help with sleep.

I have a Drs. appt. on the 15th for a incision check. And then most likely two weeks from there to hopefully be taking sling off.

If anyone can help, can you tell me what your doctors did after the sling is off? I really would like to know about PT, what schedule did your doctor put you on for wearing the sling, how much you can lift with it etc?

Well, that's it for now. Take care everyone Schpooko

Glad to hear about your recovery. Sleeping was a challenge all right. I'm a side sleeper so after a couple of weeks in the recliner, I moved to the sofa where I could elevate my head and still get on my side to sleep. I was on the sofa until I came out of the sling at 5 1/2 weeks. He said at that point I could drive (if I could tolerate it) and could sleep without my sling. At that point I went back to the bed. Bored! Besides T.V., I read and colored in a coloring book. My great grandchildren have several here I got them with crayons and that's what I did. My husband prepared the meals and cut up my meat for me.
My doctor had me working on pulley from the moment I got home from the hospital, 5 min. 5 x a day. He wanted me to try and get my arm as straight as possible above my head. My therapist is also having me to that and also moving my arm out to the side. Doctor told me to wear the sling as a reminder not to lift anything over 10 lbs. I haven't been wearing it, but when I move it a certain way and it hurts I try not to do that again. My doctor ordered P.T. 1- 3 times a week, so my therapist decided twice a week would be good. She was my therapist when I had my knee surgeries done so I know how she works. You also have to do the therapy at home. But the thing I missed the most when I was recovering was not being able to drive myself. Now you can't keep this woman home much! HA! HA!
If I can answer any of your questions, let me know. Keep up the good work of recovering!

Hello, Everyone... Just a little up date. I finally (it seemed like it took forever) hit the six week mark and thankfully NO MORE SLING. It feels wonderful to not have that thing around.

The arm is good. Doing PT daily at home. I do have a questions for you vets. Did it feel tight after your surgery around the shoulder/armpit area? I can only lift my arm a bit more than a 90 degree angle but with the stick I use for PT I can get it all the way up but with only the help of the other arm. I hope I explained myself okay. I hope down the line I get to lift it over my head again without all this difficulty. I hope @Jamie can help with reassuring me about my shoulder. The Dr. says I am doing great.

Well, I hope all is well with each and every one of you and that your recoveries are moving along.

Schpooko

I'm 10 weeks post surgery with some mild nerve damage, but yes it is normal for your armpit/shoulder area to feel stiff. It is getting better but I'm starting to be able to lift my arm up over my head sometimes better than others. I am still getting physical therapy and I see my orthopedist on Thursday, Oct 8th.
I went to see my knee orthopedist last Wed. about my right knee pain and feeling of instability. He just changed out my spacer to a larger size last July 2019, but it is lax again! He is investigating what could be causing this and hasn't given me a call yet. It's always something going on with me! When can I get a break?

Hi Schpooko-
I am just a little ahead of you with the shedding of the sling. I too am doing home exercises. And yes...there is a stiffness around the joint, hence the therapy. The hardest exercise for me now is the behind the back ones. I am determined to master them though. I suspect that in a week or two you'll marvel at your progress. I always reflect back to my first two weeks after surgery then compare to where I am now-from near despair to incredible hope. Doctors and those who manage this site all say this is a complex surgery and requires patience and time. A few things I noticed AFTER my sling thing: my hand was a little unsteady and had a slight shake to it when I raised it up to eye level (gone now) and I still couldn't do my grooming stuff too well. It is returning to normal slowly. Glad you are sling free!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom