TKR Scheduling TKR After Hymovis Gel Injection

pdlinda

Country
United States United States
i had 2 Hymovis injections in my left knee on 7/17/20 and 7/24/20 to try and improve function.
It was understood between me and my OS that this was a temporary solution to my arthritic knee problem because of the Covid.

My right knee was replaced on 10/9/19.

i recall reading on this forum that if you have the TKR surgery too soon after a gel injection you are more prone to infection. I am wondering about the best timing to schedule surgery.

P.S. As of today, I’m not experiencing major improvement from the Hymovis injections.

This is definitely something to check with your OS. There are guidelines but then each OS has their own protocol. For instance my OS will not do surgery for 6m after a steroid hip injection where other surgeons will do it after 3m. See what your surgeon advises and ask him why he has this protocol.

I agree with leejaa.

Phone your surgeon. Tell him/her you have experienced no improvement after the gel injections and ask how soon you can schedule surgery.

Three months is the most common wait period after an injection.
I agree give your surgeon a call.
I added you to the 2019 October Feisties for your right knee.

I had hyaluronic acid injected into my knee for several years prior to my replacement, but usually it comes in sets of 3 injections over a 3 week period, it took my knee a month before I felt the benefits, so maybe your knee will start to benefit soon, eventually ( my case 5 years later,) the injections cease to work and knee replacement is necessary.
I had to wait at least 6 months from stopping the gel to being operated, as the surgeon would not do it prior to this.
Hope the Hymovis kicks in soon xx

The July 17th and 24th HYMOVIS gel shots I received have given me total relief from pain and some range of motion for my left knee (right knee replaced 10/9/19). However, my gait is still far from normal. Is this something that others have experienced?

When the HYMOVIS shot wears off (they say 6 months) I plan to have the left knee replaced. I’m wondering how long after both knees are replaced my gait will be “normal”?

I know every knee varies and every person’s experiences with walking “normally” varies but I was wondering how others have experienced this situation.

Also, I’ve had both hips replaced in 2008 and 2017, so I’m wondering if that has any role to in my present inability to walk “normally,”

Regaining your normal gait should happen gradually after your other knee has been replaced and s it slowly regains strength.

But you've probably had your abnormal gait for some time and you may well need to re-learn your muscle memory, so you walk normally again. This is one thing that your PT therapist should be able to help you with, so don't forget to ask about it.

Yes, I have had the abnormal gait for some time as with the 3 joints that were already replaced over a period of 11 years a lot of adjustments to my normal walking and balance took place.

I will focus on muscle memory with my PT as you suggest. Thanks so much!!

I'm in a similar situation to you, my left knee was operated in October 2019 and my right knee is due to be operated in 2021 ( once elective surgeries reopen ) this time round I have not been offered or given the gel injections, even thou the bone is on bone, but I think this is so that if a slot arises at the hospital, then they, can operate on me.
Hopefully once both knees fully recovered our gait will realign itself, as my new knee gets stronger it is bearing the weight of my dodgy right knee, as @Tykey always suggests is to do the funny walk, extending the heal to toe method. At least this time round we know what to expect, still quite daunting thou :flabber: Here's wishing you all the best :flwrysmile:
Stay safe xx

@Tykey
Do you have any specific YouTube videos that you can recommend? Thanks so much!!!

I'm not really qualified to give any meaningful advice, but this one might help. It's focusing on the feet and the roll forward.
If you just search YouTube for "how to walk properly" you might find even better ones.

Here's a quick update.
My wife trained as a florist, which is a shame because she would have made an excellent physio
This morning I hobbled out of bed with my sacroilliacs giving me a lot of pain

Her reaction wasn't sympathetic, she said "I'm not surprised with the way you have started walking again!"

I've just walked the dogs, and concentrated on my own gait. True enough, even though my knee gives me virtually no pain, I found I was lurching forward onto a flat foot on that leg. When I concentrated I noticed that the knee juddered on each impact, but even more surprising that my hips lurched down on the opposite side.

Which more than likely explains my sacroiliac problem on that side.

On the way back I made sure I did it properly, as per the video. I began walking smoothly, as Stately as a galleon (some brits might know this reference ). Head held high and steady. Sacroilliac calmed down, knee got more comfortable, and the whole thing looked and felt"proper"

It just goes to show that bad habits need a lot of work to eradicate.

Thanks so much! I am watching that video and, as you suggested, finding many more helpful videos on YouTube! I’m practicing what the experts are suggesting and already see some improvement! I love this forum!!

Linda, absolutely delighted to hear that from you. I found it useful to walk with one hand on each hip bone as I walked, and was amazed how much more the opposite hip went up and down.

After another couple of days, the inflamed sacroiliac is no more.

As a general point, why do we let the PTs loose on us in the early weeks where they are likely to abuse us and set our recovery back? Then when we need them at the end of recovery (like you and I) they are nowhere to be seen, and we have to rely on florists to get us right. Her consultations are cheap

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts