Scheduled for THR on Aug. 6th...any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franny225

Hi my name is Fran. I posted for a bit last Aug. after I had BTKR in July 2011. I received so much wonderful advice and support that I knew I could come to this site and get great info on THR. A few months after I had my knees done I developed a pain in my hip and groin area that radiated down to my knee and shin. I went to my surgeon who took some X-rays and was told my knee looked great but my hip had developed OA. I had X-rays less than a year before on my hip and it showed a little arthritis but in less then 7 months the arthritis took over my whole right hip and would need a THR. I was told this after having my knees done 7 months earlier.... I was not expecting this and was devastated. I started to look for answers as to why I am developing so much arthritis which started in my early 20's and now I am 39. I went to a rheumatologist and had last of labs done. On the positive side I showed neg for rheumatoid arthritis and the only answer I got was that I had an aggressive form of OA and that it is not in my favor for my other joints to not be effected... So here we go again. I am scheduled for THR on my right leg this Monday. I am scared but determined to get rid of this horrible pain. So any advice on THR and the rehab part would be great. I worry to as my quads are still a bit weak and shak from the BTKR. So I am concerned about my left knee withstanding all of the exta abuse during this process. I am going back to the same physical therapist so he knows my feels history and will be more cautious of my knees....sorry this post is long I guess I needed to vent a little and can't sleep

Thank you in advance
Take care
Fran

BTKR- July 2011

Hi Franny

I am just going to say good luck and we will be keen to get and update from the post op side when you can. I believe hips are an easier recovery.. But not sure about that. We have several members that come to mind who have had knees done and then a hip, one of the moderators, bottomshollow; is a member that comes to mind... Oh and tashia; is another member.. I am sure they will pop by and wish you well...

Good luck for Monday :)

Hi Fran, welcome back! Sorry it's not just a social visit.

I think you will find the recovery from THR a bit easier than TKR. Jo always says it is a bit more straight forward. Having said that everyone is different so it's very hard to predict.

I was going to suggest you work with PT right after your THR. Looks like you are already on that track. I have major back issues that flared up following THR. Working with PT these were under control. Since your knees are still in the strengthening phase don't feel rushed about using a walker or alternate walking aids post-op.

Spend some time in the Library reading about THR recovery. Then come back and ask any questions. We are here for you. All the best on Monday!

Fran, welcome back to the forum. So pleased you came back to us---but wish for you it hadn't been necessary.

Scheduled for THR on Aug. 6th...any advice? Hips ARE easier than knees! That's my experience. And all things being equal and barring any unforeseen complications, you should be feeling pretty "normal" in a couple of months and be completely off pain meds. And it is much easier to just forget that you've had your hip replaced. I would never think about my hip if it weren't for the forum and talking with others here about it.

Here are some Library links that you should read:
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

This 90 degree rule and risk of dislocation

And you know we're here for you to answer questions and concerns, to give you a place to vent, and to support and encourage you from pre op to post op through recovery.

Take care, keep us posted, we care.

:goodpost::iagree: I also found the hip easier but I also know everyone is different. I also hardly think of my hip. Its done and very seldom do I think about it. I had my knee done in 2010 then a hip in 2011 and another knee done 8 months later. For me it was very important to keep focus and not to look back. I found I had to do what I had to do to get walking again. As with the hip it also to keep pain control, ice, rest. You will do fine. I know it must be overwhelming to think here I go again. Just take a day at a time. Do come here to vent and to share your feeling. Also welcome back I also wish it was just to say Hello. Take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:

My newest, biggest piece of advice is after the surgery is completed and you start your hospital PT do not push past your limits no matter what the therapist says. I suffered actual injuries because I did.

It's my understanding that knees usually require more aggressive post op PT than hips due to range of motion concerns. Hips don't need to be worked so hard and tend to come along just fine without intensive PT at the beginning, relative to knees.

Post op PT is not going to be comfortable, but it shouldn't be severely painful. So, stand up for yourself if you find yourself being pushed too hard.

Also, take your pain medications as needed and ask for more or a change in medication if your pain is not controlled. You won't be painfree, but you shouldn't have to suffer either.

Good luck and have a great surgery tomorrow!

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back