BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Scheduled for May 2018

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Gettysburg, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

United States United States
    I now am scheduled to have. THR on May 9th. I was on the knee pre op side but cancelled for various reasons, mainly because I couldn’t get up the courage. This is different because unlike my bone on bone knees, my right hip constantly hurts. I finally decided after reading about hip surgery on this forum , that it may be slightly easier than knees. Nevertheless, I can’t stand the constant pain this hip is giving me so I’m going to do it! I don’t know if it makes a lot of difference in outcome or complications but it’s being done in a small orthopedic hospital that seems to have a very good reputation.i hope I have made the right decision. The surgeon was great to talk to, spent a long time with me and didn’t seem bored or in a rush so I take that as a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Gettysberg
    I've moved your post from the hip recovery side, to the pre-op side, since you haven't had your surgery yet.

Have you joined the May Marvels monthly group yet?
    Just post your surgery date in the
    2018 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?
    thread at the top of the Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.
    It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints this month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

I just got the dates for my pre surgical testing. Ugh it’s really happining

4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Gettysburg Welcome to the hippie side of BoneSmart! Lots of members here to support you through this journey. Yes, it's recovery and it can be frustrating and sometimes downright boring. But no more bone on bone pain! If you have any questions or concerns please post them here. We are here for you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Well you'll have plenty of time to prepare which is a good thing. Every surgeon is different, mine had a complete handbook that was very valuable. It had all of the information needed for pre-op and post-op. Also I had a pre-op class at the hospital given by a nurse and physical therapist. They kept me very well informed which allowed for good preparation and no surprises. Ask your OS now any questions you might have.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

Hi, yes I also got a binder and a patient portal so I can ask questions. I just sent my surgeon a question about the make and model of the implant. I want to know everything, right down to what sedative they use along with the spinal.

7. MajorHeidi

MajorHeidi Sr Bonesmartie

Hi @Gettysburg Bonesmart will help you a lot!
    I found the site in 2014 for my first THR, and it relieved much anxiety, and provided friendly
    interaction with others in the forums.
    You will be so happy you did this; the pain will be gone.
    I had tears in my eyes when I first stood up after surgery. I was so relieved and happy not to
    feel the pain that I had.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

Hi all, well I am scheduled for my pre op testing on April 11th . After this surgery I’m looking at getting knees replaced. By the time I get done with all these surgeries I will be 70 years old! I wonder if it really worth it. With the pain I am in I already feel 90 , only to look forward to more pain.then what? Heart surgery?,

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Definitely! Sure there is a bit of recovery to deal with. But the end result is very "worth it". The hardest part is the wait!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. sharonslp

sharonslp FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Gettysburg, I'm thinking you might reframe your time line. You said by the time you complete these surgeries you will be 70 years old, and you already feel 90. Try this instead: when you complete these surgeries, you will be only 70 years old. You will have 20 years to enjoy them before you turn 90. And if you are lucky and can avoid other diseases, you will be a much more spry, upright, and active nonagenarian as well. At 70, I still go dancing regularly, and I feel so great just going for a walk with a normal gait and no limp.

Joint surgery recovery...hips or knees...is not for sissies, that's for sure. But 4 years will go by in a flash whether you have these surgeries or not. You get to make the 4 years count by taking advantage of the medical know-how to fix these problems. And maybe, with much better mobility, you can avoid that heart surgery down the road.

I'm in no rush to have the next 4 years zip by, but I will look forward to seeing you fix each of these joints and find that life at 70 can be pretty special after all.

Sharon

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:welome: to the hippy side .
    I have had such a remarkable improvement in the quality of my life after getting rid of that miserable hip pain.
    As you already know, lots of great advice and support here.
    Wishing you all the best !:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

One at a time, see how you feel after the hip and go from there. No use worrying about things that haven't happened yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

Thank you all for responding, I wish I could have a more positive attitude. I’m sure it would help me get through this so much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Gettysburg ....I'm the same age as you, and I know there's nothing like pain and disability to make you feel a hundred years older. However, don't write yourself off.....I've just had my first hip done, and know when I finish recovering I will be so much more active. When the second one is done I'll be like new (hoping not to go for the 'foursome' but who knows?). My dad is 92 and flies over to NZ from England every year to see us....he's lucky not to have joint problems (can't blame him for mine!) but he does have a bit of heart stuff going on.....but he acts as if he's 70. We're in our prime :heehee:, you may have several more years of ops and recovery to go, but after each one you will feel that much better, until eventually you are dancing around like a spring chicken and, as Sharon said, with better mobility you can avoid those other age-related problems :chuckmarch: Don't forget there's lots of support here on the forum.....there is probably nothing new that you can come up with that someone hasn't done/felt before!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

@anny, thank you for your insight, I am hoping. I’m so tired of living this way.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    you'll get there Gettysburg....the worst bit is right now, when you're worrying yourself silly about. When you've had it, you'll wonder why you fretted over all those conversations in your head....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Miggie

Miggie member

Welcome @Gettysburg! Once you have made the decision to go forward with surgery, the waiting is the worst. Mine couldn't come fast enough, but you can spend the time preparing your house and getting the things you will need in recovery. I love my new hip and can't wait for summer, to be able to enjoy it pain free, something I haven't been able to do the last few years. This is a great place to voice your concerns, you will get lots of support. Wishing you all the best!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Gidget

Gidget member

Australia Australia
    Wow anny. My Dad is 90 and has very little wrong with him, just a minor heart issue too. After Mum passed away I offered to fly back to Sweden with him so he could see the house he was born in again and catch up with his nieces and nephews. He refused...he said it was too far and they’d never let him on the plane. Here I was thinking how I’d handle it but I’d do my best. I’ll tell my Dad about your Dad. It might give him an incentive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

@Miggie, yes, I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that I have to have this surgery. I’m in a lot of pain every day. My bone on bone knees don’t hurt as much as this hip. I’m not afraid of the surgery really, I’m more concerned with things like dislocation, or infection. I research too much. I want to know every single thing. I’ve watched the surgery numerous times on you tube. A little knowledge can be dangerous. Thank you for the encouragement.

• Like Like x 2
  20. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    yes he does pretty well really, hope I take after him! Don't tell my dad about my f-i-l tho....he's 3 years younger than dad and came over once when we first moved. He's always been a creaking gate....ever since I've known him (30 odd years) he's been prophesying his imminent demise, and about the only thing wrong are his knees (both replaced some years ago but he never did the exercise so his muscles aren't helping the joints). Fascinates me how some people can be so pro-active about their health, and others just give in to the view that their health has nothing to do with them, it's the doctor's job to keep them going. Maybe it harks back to the era of the doctor being the god on a pedestal :chinstroke:

If you need more info to hit your dad with, remind him he can register with the airline for assistance at the airport....they will provide someone with a wheelchair to take him to the right place, and even take him to the top of the queue, takes a lot of the worry out of it

• Like Like x 2