• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Scheduled for Knee Replacement but having second thoughts

CapeCodder

Country
United States United States
53 year old male. Left knee bone to bone and arthritis. Schedule for knee replacement for 1/3/20 but not sure I will go thru with it. I have been reading too much on the intranet I guess! I am in some pain but it is not constant. I do walk with a limp but it is usually not too painful. Can sleep at night but sometimes when rolling over knee locks up and it is agonizing
bending it. Once it is straight I am fine and able to sleep again. I do love to golf and can swing with no pain but walking the course takes a toll. After reading that 15% of people regret getting a knee replacement I am second guessing if I should go thru with it. I am able to do everything I need to do with some pain and I would regret it if the surgery actually made it worse. My doctor does the MIS surgery. I hear that you walk with a click after surgery and bending over still doesn’t feel correctly. Will I do more damage by waiting and have a harder surgery down the road? Would love to hear other people’s opinion as I am having a hard time deciding if now is the right time.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and Welcome!

Bone on bone will not get better on its own, so it’s most likely not a matter of if, but when.

If 15% of TKR recipients regret having it done, 85% do not regret it.

You could do more damage to your knee by waiting, how much varies with each of us.

Only you can decide when the time is right for you. There’s no shame in waiting a while until you feel more ready.

The early part of the recovery, the first couple of months, is tough and it takes a full year for complete healing. You need to be ready to be patient and let your knee heal on it’s own timeframe. You can’t just jump back into your current activities. This is a problem for many active people.

But, recovery is temporary, so give your knee the time it needs to heal, it will be a good investment in your future.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Most of us had this "is it bad enough?" thought at one time or another. But once I had it done the real question was why did I wait so long? There is a Knee score tool in the library you might want to check out. It really helps you assess the challenges you have with your knee pre-op.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Here is some pre op reading, with the Score Chart that kneeper mentioned.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

jeffjob

Country
Take some time and be real honest with yourself about how your knees are keeping you from doing what you want to. I waited (probably too long) until I could do very little. I know I lost participating in many things for several years. I had both mine done this year and can do most of what I could years ago!

TKR is a voluntary surgery and you must decide when you are ready. Yes, they is risk in the outcome not being expected. My OS told me not to expect totally pain free knees and at 6 months for the left and 7 for the right, I do still have some discomfort. But it is NOTHING like the OA pain that was stopping me in my tracks.

My OS also said something that I found to be interesting (and true). He said the people with the worse knees benefit the most from TNR. When he did my RTKR he found out how bad it was, And I found out how much better to could be then it was.

So only you can decide, where is your quality of life? I would be willing to bet that some of those people that have regrets have forgotten how bad off they were prior to surgery and that what they are facing now may not be as bad as their pain was.

Once OA keeps you from living the life you want and / or you start falling down, it is time, IMHO!

Be well...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Beezel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom