• BLUE TOOLBAR CHANGES! We've made some minor adjustments to the categories in the blue tool bar at the top of your screen. You may notice some links in a different drop-down menu, but everything is still there.
ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

TKR Scheduled for Dec. 14

DeeOne

Country
United States United States
Just joined and my TKR is scheduled for Dec. 14. Hoping shared experiences will make it easier.

It's my right knee.

Last edited:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@DeeOne Welcome to BoneSmart! Which knee are you having replaced? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

Meanwhile, here is a bit of information that might help you prepare for your recovery.
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @DeeOne - and :welome:

I've done your signature and added your name to the December Supernovas surgery team thread. Please will you tell us which knee is being replaced, so we can add that information to your signature as well?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

leejaa

big-cheese
Country
I found that sharing my recovery here and also reading and sharing the other recoveries was very helpful. This was especially helpful for my first knee replacement as I was totally new to major surgery and the recovery process.

The recovery became a shared journey with others understanding the emotions and issues and offering support and advice as needed. I am sure you will find much support and information here to help you on your recovery journey as I am sure you will help others being here.

OP
OP
D

DeeOne

Country
This is my first knee surgery. The closest experience I've had to this was a broken hip 8 years ago. Instead of a hip replacement the surgeon chose to screw the bones together. I couldn't put any weight on my left leg for several months and was on crutches for 5 months. So when I heard I wouldn't need crutches and could put weight on my leg immediately (although it might hurt) I was relieved. However, all through my life my sprains and breaks have always been to my left leg and the right was my good leg. Now all of a sudden I am having surgery on the right leg and I worry how the left leg will hold up, especially as it healed badly from the hip and is now one inch shorter than the right, so I'm starting off unbalanced.

As the date gets closer, I will add other things that are worrying me.

NightQuilter

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to BoneSmart @DeeOne . I see you have another thread started and should probably put everything in one place. I lack the tech skills to merge the threads but one of our administrators will be on soon to do so. I will notify them to get you in one place.

In the meantime, let me try to give you some peace of mind. First, be sure to talk to your OS about your concerns because the left leg is shorter. They may be able to make some adjustments in the spacer or other components to help level you out a bit. Second, don't be afraid to trust your new knee and leg. While the tissues around it have a good bit of healing to do, the mechanics of your new knee are strong and will work perfectly from day 1. I suspect the reason your right knee now needs replacing is it was picking up the slack where your left had issues. Our bodies are amazing in how they automatically start to compensate for weaknesses. Follow the wisdom you read here on BoneSmart and you will do just fine.

Bishop

Country
DeeOne welcome! Our thoughts are with you! I ll be watching your thread. Mine 1st TKR is Feb3 so it will be great to watch and cheer on your progress!

jsa

Country
Australia Australia
Hi DeeOne, Best of luck with your surgery, just hours away now, I hope it all goes well.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scouty
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom