• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Scary Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

I'm 59 male and was told two weeks ago by my OS that I need MIS THR. The, supposed experienced, PA told me I would enter the hospital in the AM and would go home the next day. He said I could have the other hip done a
few weeks later and I would be back full speed within 3 months.

This does not sound like the experince the people posting on this Board are having. I'm already scared, but in just a couple of months I've gone form minor pain to great pain and a regular limp. This OS is in Atlanta and in highly regarded. He's says he has done 1000's.

I don't know what to do!

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello, Mikey - and welcome to the forum.

First thing I have to point out to you is that out of the THOUSANDS of people who have THRs done, very, very few need to seek out fora like these for help and encouragement because, quite simply, they don't need to. Their op and recovery go swiftly and simply and they are back to a 'normal' life very quickly. Also it is often a trick of the mind to 'see' only those negative posts and miss the ones that have positive stories.

I have two friends who have had THRs, one was a conventional approach two years ago, the other MIS last summer. Neither seemed to have any problems, took their post op period in their stride and are back to normal in no time. Sites like this are self selecting meaning that generally only people with problems will go looking for them. Or people like yourself who are anxious and seeking reassurance.

So, let me address the problems you have given as best I can.

First off, everyone is anxious-terrified about having operations. This is not a failing or a weakness on your part. It's human nature. It's a bit deal to be putting yourself in the hands of total strangers, some of whom you won't even set eyes on. I've worked in operating theatres all my professional life and I have had operations major and minor. I was anxious every time and often I knew the people behind the scenes who would be looking after me!

Second, your PA was quite correct. 2-3 days in hospital and a short period of taking it easy would be about right. The good thing about minimally invasive surgery is that the major muscles and ligaments are not divided - this is what makes the recovery more protracted and difficult. So you won't have that bit. And once you have had one done, the second should be - well, not exactly a breeze, but certainly much, much easier.

Finally, I would like to ask if you have confidence in your surgeon. Did he spend time with you? Were things explained to your satisfaction? You said he's done thousands - that sounds pretty good to me. I'd always want someone who had a good track record.

If there are any specific questions, do feel free to come back and ask. That's what we are here for. I check this site at least once and sometimes 2-3 times a day so you can be sure of a reasonable quick answer.

pebitpeb

Try to stay calm and have faith.

Mikey, I think you are having the normal feelings that a person experiences when they are undergoing big changes that affect their bodies and lives. Remember a doctor will usually give the extreme dates for recovery and results, as my feeling is they want to cover themselves to a degree. I am alot like you have been through some medical proceedures in the last 9 months that involved major operations and recovery times. Today I will be going in for my left hip replacement and on my last appointment with the orthopedic surgeon I was discouraged as he told be 2-3 months, however everyone I have talked to including this surgeon has given a quicker time frame of recovery and being able to move freely. Try and maintain your belief in what you are going to accomplish, trust the 100's who have gone before you with this proceedure and trust your surgeon. It isn't easy but you can do it and will be grateful afterward. I write this for you and me both.
Tanti auguri Mikey. (many wishes for a speedy recovery)
pebitpeb
Paul

Attachments

Ginny

Hi Mike,

I'm a 35yr old active female, I had THR 6 weeks ago in Birmingham, AL. I had surgery on a Monday morning and was discharged on Thursday. It took me a good 3-4 weeks to be able to take care of myself around the house. I feel great! I should have done it sooner!! Although I'm still in the recovery process I feel awesome!

Good luck!
~Ginny

OP
OP
M

mikey

That sounds great! Did you have the MIS type? One of the thousand concerns I have is that my OS says I'll be going home the next day and will be able to walk out of the hospital. What brand prothesis did they use?

Regards,
Mike

PS If you ever need LASIK to correct your vision let me know. My Brother in Law does that in Birmingham.

Ginny

Hi Mikey,

I'm not familiar with the MIS type, so I'm going to say no. I have a Smith & Nephew metal on metal titanium/cobalt hip. I had my 6 week post-op check last week. My Doctor said everything is looking great, and I'm free to add weight to my leg as tolerated. He also said that he's very conservative..more so than his peers. I think mainly b/c I'm young and active and he doesn't want me to over do it.

I have posted most of my experience on the thread titled "29 yr old patient"

I don't need Lasik, but if he's 30 something and sinlge I'd be interested...

I didn't get the private message.

All the best,
Ginny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom