THR Scared

Sulliy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone I’m waiting for a date ,I need a hip replacement on my left side I’m very scared about afterwards how I will manage the pain has anyone got any advice to give please I’m struggling to sleep kind wishes k

Welcome! :flwrysmile:I think if you read a few post-op threads from the hip joint choices at the top bar (pre op vs post op), you will have a better idea about managing post op pain.
Each doctor has their own protocol and from what I have read here at Bonesmart, before you leave the hospital they should have your pain well managed for you to follow at home.
By any chance are you a side sleeper?

Hi there thank you for your reply, I will be sure to read them thank you , yes correct I do sleep on my side and I know it’s bad but Also my front kind wishes k

I had some success by using a pillow between the legs. At first a thin pillow, then thicker, then this year II started sleeping in a recliner on my back.
Just an extra pillow from your bed may do the trick.

Congratulations on upcoming hip replacement. I just had mine done Friday 11/22. Everyone is unique in the recovery and I am blessed to be doing quite well. As mentioned you will be given meds etc. to help with pain. I have found elevating my leg with ice pack on hip area does wonders. I have not taken any opioids just Tylenol, ibuprofen and gabapentin for nerve relief. You will do just fine! Best wishes for speedy recovery.

Lots of ways to manage the pain. Be sure to be honest with your care professionals. Everyone has different tolerances for pain, so don't try to be a pain hero and avoid some meds just because you hear other people don't require them. Do what you need to do in order to help *you* feel better.
Side sleeping can be done, but if your surgeon uses posterior approach you may not find sleeping on the operated side something you will enjoy :) However, with knee pillows, etc, you can make it work for sleeping on the opposite side.

Good luck!

Hello there

Just wondered how long you are likely to have to wait for the op ? It can seem forever ! As you are in the UK (as am I) are you aware of the E Referral System which allows you to access expidited treatment at Private Hospitals but on the NHS?
Sorry to bore you if you already know about it (maybe some other uk residents might be interested ) but all you need to do is ask for a GP referral to a local private hospital as an NHS patient (you can usually do this even if you are on a waiting list elsewhere ) Usually you get to see Orthopaedic Consultant within 2 weeks, get all Xrays etc done and you are pretty much guaranteed the op -if that is what you need- is done within 18 weeks and usually much much sooner .
It's a win-win situation . The NHs , struggling to keep waiting lists down , offload suitable patients and pay the Private Hospital the amount it would have cost to do the op at aaNHS hospital . Private hospital does not get as much money as it would from a private patient , but this way they get revenue, keep beds filled and operating theatres busy ! But the biggest winner is the patient . Quick access to the best healthcare,all for free, nice private room and bathroom . I had first hip done 2 years ago on this system and am going back for more -the second- next week!! And much as I love and respect our NHS system , it certainly is good to enjoy home-made biscuits and excellent food as you recover ! But seriously, I feel very lucky to be able to access this kind of healthcare ! Not available in Scotland, however !
Good luck, and just focus on being truly fit again in due course !

@Sulliy Welcome to BoneSmart! The big difference between pre and post op pain is that post op pain can be managed. Your priority when you are still in hospital is to work with staff to get your own pain management cocktail just right. Then the trick is to take your prescribed medication around the clock as prescribed. It's important to stay ahead of the pain.

Here's a couple links to articles in our Library that might help.
Pain management take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Pain management and the pain chart
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Just a comment about mistytime's post on E Referral - this is not available in every area of the NHS. Check with your GP to confirm.

Hi @Sulliy I'm so glad you found this forum. I remember very well, how scared and nervous I was when first told that I needed a THR. I can honestly say that the surgery and post op pain is manageable and different from that sharp bone crunching pain from pre op.

Hang around with us and read some of the recovery threads, I hope they help you as much as they helped me a little over 4 years ago.
Welcome to Bonesmart.. :welome:

:wave: and welcome to the forum @Sulliy
I had my hips replaced 2 1/2 years ago and am ever so happy that I can work, play, and sleep hip-pain free again.:happydance:
Unlike the ever present and ever worsening pain I was living with, the post op pain was short lived and fairly well managed with meds...discomfort was a better description after one week and the best thing...All Temporary!:yes!:
The waiting was definitely the worst part.
Hang in there...and hang around. Lots of great support on Bonesmart.

Hi there thank you so much for your reply and advice that’s a great comfort to read I’m in so much pain after driving my hip hurts to sit and then locks , it’s is painful while sleeping too I’m looking forward to having my life back kind wishes k

My rt got real bad about locking, that sealed the deal on me having it done. As far as sleeping goes on my rt I was able to prop my thigh in a position that was comfortable, couldn't do that on my left. I used Aleve, 2 twice a day, it calmed down the inflammation after a couple of days.

Hi
Welcome to bonesmart..its been amazing for me & everyone is really friendly & helpful.
I was super scared like you but had my op on 21st November
Re the private referral I had mine done this way, at the Alexandra in Cheadle, all paid for by the NHS. When I finally decided to go for it the surgeon asked me when was good for me and arranged the perfect date. I did have a nightmare on that day as it was cancelled due to admin error but that's another story.
I was soooooo scared and even when the anaesthetist was putting the epidural in I was still considering backing out. My pain had seemed to get better in the weeks up to surgery so was very tempted.
I did have a rough couple of days initially but I'm a week in now and am really happy. My hip is sore and stiff but it is such an improvement.
Major surgery is scary BUT it'll be so worth it afterwards.
Much love
Ann

Hi there thank you for your message , I’m scared of the recovery more and dealing with the pain , the thought of it been touched now while it’s so painful scares me

Hey @Sulliy,
We all recover differently...
My first surgery was on Sep 10th and it went smoothly... they found a right cocktail for me at the hospital and I only had minimal pain. The key in recovery is to take it slow and listen to your body. There are plenty of wonderful articles here on how not to exaggerate with the PT and allow your hip to recover from the trauma. Listen to the signals your body is sending and you will be fine. Ice, elevate and rest after the surgery; you are young and you may want to hurry through the process but don't! It's not a race.
My second surgery is on Tuesday. I can't wait cause I want my life back. I hope it goes smoothly as the first one but I am mentally prepared that I may not be as lucky.
Al the troubles are just temporary.
Be brave!

Hi there thank you for your lovely message I will look back on it and take your advice , good luck on Tuesday fingers crossed you recover as well as your first one , I’m sure u and I will I think it’s important to have a positive attitude , as like you I want my life back I feel old and a cripple , I sobbed today when I got out the van , because it’s so very painful to unlock it my family are great and help through it but gosh I nearly pass out with the pain until I do kind wishes k x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads