THR scared to death did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad all is going well for you @pink24...... It will be great to get home.... Nothing like your own bed.
Don't forget to take things nice & steady though!!!! Xxx

Glad you will soon be up & about on your own @NuMe2014....you are both doing just great. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Stilll struggling getting in and out of bed my butt is sore as hell but my daughters can help me with that its all surgery pain how long is the suffering with the surgery pain bruising is starting to appear now and all my muscles i have not used ie arms are having a work out with this getting in and out of bed larky lol sorry if my messages strange it is the meds to blame x x x

Are you icing @pink24 .... That will sure help with the pain & stiffness.... Make sure you put a tea towel or pillowcase on the skin first...
The stiffness & pain gets better as each day goes by...... Honestly! X

My messages are strange no excuse cept its meeee it does get better promise and i never promise unless can deliver

Much the same stage as NuMe2014 heel slides sre impossible without assistance beeen icing alll day to ease painand reduce swelling after sleep though i am as stiff as a board. I had no drains no cathetar antibbiotic went through canular while i was monged out on operating table lol

I have shown myself up told the os he looked like a bee keeper in his theatre outfit i have cracked all the j
nursing staff up while high on drugs lol. I have two wouderful sore elbows from hitching up the bed i have learned how to give myself the injection tonight had an x ray all seems ok with new hip but god my leg feels so heavy everyinch of me hurts frim using muscles i havent used in a while no leg legthing hes top quality my os he treats common weath athletes seen him today while i was on cruches he said good thsts what he likes to see home tomorrow thats when i will need you guys to guide me x x x

Things can only get better from here on out! Those heel slides are brutal - I hate them, but you will be amazed at how you will progress and then one day you will do one all by yourself and you will feel like hey "I can do this"! The only reason I had difference in leg length was because of the worn cartilidge. I had no space left just bone on bone so when I had the first hip replaced this added back some height and my surgeon was not going compensate for this knowing I would be having the other one replaced. So both are even now, it will just take time for my pelvis and spine to adjust.

RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015

Here are some basic recovery articles for you to read. You may have seen them before, but it's always good to refresh your mind about what recovery involves. It sounds like you have a great start.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@NuMe2014 so glad you are doing well i look for you cause your on the exact same day as me just got up for a wee and my hip felt a lot better than i though the ice must be working its 2am and the nurse helped my leg off the bed and once i was up she left me to go to the loo only to return with a lovely cup of tea for me some truely lovely staff in this hospital cant thank them enough x x x

There will usually someone abt when you get home if not someone will.get back to you quick. When in pain pal tell nurses they.can help. I was guilty of not telling luckily.they.saw and offered. No macho thoughts in head I.said please.
Take care and good luck. The car.can.be.diff getting in but hey I.did it in.a.punto. I.did exclaim.the.odd beezer must admit. Oooooooops sorry for the language.

Legin THR Sep 14

Glad that ice is working.....cheers for the lovely Lancashire nurses!! X

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@pink24 There are so many changes after surgery that every day will bring a new ache or miracle or both. We are here for you, and since we've all been down this road, we can help you navigate it. Don't hesitate to ask questions or just whine (I've certainly done my share of both). We get it in ways others who haven't done this can't.
Take it slow and steady. As they keep reminding impatient me, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Rest as much as you can and be faithful with your ice and pain medication.
The heel slides are killer, but those slides where you had to have your leg straight and go left to right did me in. Sheesh. When I'm restless in bed, I still find myself doing ankle pumps and heel slides because it's familiar.

congrats 23.jpg
@pink24, you are now an
3 official hippie.jpg
!

Take it slow and easy while you follow the BoneSmart philosophy for recovery, and it will be the best you can possibly have.

Remember that we are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Home but change of meds made me feel so sick struggled with stairs but im in bed now worried about getting to toilet cause i have to go down one step and up one to get to bathroom asked social services to call i need some extra rails fitted mean while im struggling nasty place never realised it would take this much out of me x x x

Once you've rested I'm sure you will be fine on those stairs using the crutch & stair rail. The first time I froze with fear but it got better & better. I had to go up 15 stairs to my bedroom every day & it was fine.
The first few days are harder but each day your stiffness will get easier.
Hope those meds are better for you now..... Take it easy..... You've had a major op & your body is in recovery mode so sapping all your energy.
Hope you get some much needed sleep xxxx

You work out ways of doing things but take phone with you. If meds arent right get gp in. Its important for good recovery. Sleep lass its best

@pink24 don't forget what the taught you in hospital. Stairs or steps are the same at home. Don't panic - just go slow and steady.

If your meds are bothering you please call your GP and discuss an alternative. Bottom line - you will be fine!

Doctor coming tomorrow but has sent me co cidimol for tonight feeling less sickly and ate a tiny custard tart 1st food in 2 days so lets hooe once the morphine leaves my system appitite returns using plenty ice got slight shivers but im not cold think its either detoxing the drugs or bit shock lol NuMe2014 hope your doing ok hun x x x

Hi @pink24

Well done on having your surgery. Yes it's sore and uncomfortable but when you recover you will be fantastic!! I know I'm a Kneesie and not a hippy but you're getting the best possible advice off this forum and all your friends you've made on here.

Once again Andrea, congratulations and well done. Take your pain meds on schedule even if you feel you don't need them. It's very hard to get back on top of pain once you let the meds drop too low. I found that out the hard way.

All my love Nana moon 27 x x x. (Ann) xxx

Hi pink24, well we made it home! Glad to hear your nausea has settled a bit and you could eat some solid food. I struggle with the nausea too. For me it definitely is the meds but not much I can do about it because I know I need the "strong stuff" for the first week or so to control my pain. I just eat very small meals packed high in protein and in between meals I nibble on soda crackers and drink ginger ale pop or ginger tea.
Those stairs in a few days will become so easy... Honest they will!
Hope you get some sleep tonight, take care

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties