TKR Scared of Needles

Scaredofneedles

Country
United States United States
January 10 is my surgery date Right knee Total replacement. Ready to get some relief but so scared to get the spinal and blocks. Any recommendations on going through this part?

@Scaredofneedles Hi and Welcome!

I copied your post to start a pre op thread for you. You’ll get more responses and support here in a pre op thread.

I think the best thing to do, at least once you’re at the hospital, is to let the staff know your fear of needles, I’m told they are very good at helping those of us who have fears related to this surgery. If I ever have another joint replacement I will be asking for something to help relax me!

I have my own fears that I will be dealing with, if I have another surgery (which looks like it could be a post for me!) so I will be doing a lot of praying!

I‘m sure others will be along to say what helped them.

Best wishes, and we’ll be here for you! :flwrysmile:

Here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hi there
Had a spinal block for a RTHR and also terrified of needles. Read my post - honestly, apart from the icy spray making me jump, a couple of tiny electric shock feelings like I sometimes get from the car and the slight pressure from feeling poked, that was all I felt. Even the taking bloods and insertion of the cannula beforehand were done with a very fine needle, so really I barely felt them.
Good luck.

@Scaredofneedles I was more concerned about the spinal than I was about the actual procedure. Honestly - it was a non-event. Just let staff know you are concerned. They will do everything they can to make you feel comfortable.

Thank y’all so much. Anxiety is or y friend but forward I go.

I had a RTKR on 10 November 2022 and although I am not scared of needles I hope that my experience will help you. I agree with the previous posts that when the cannula was inserted it was very quick and painless as the needle was so fine. I had the spinal injection and did not feel the insertion of the needle at all due to the ice spray (which was cold) only a bit of pressure like someone was pressing my skin by my spine. When the block was taking effect I had some tingling in the legs which is totally normal and not painful just felt like pins and needles. Definitely speak to the doctors/anaesthetist/nurses about your anxiety as they are so used to dealing with this and they will do everything to put you at ease. I am now on 8 weeks post surgery and when I have my left knee replaced sometime during 2023 I will be happy with the pre and post op preparations/arrangements but I can totally relate with how you feel going into the unknown as I felt the same so I hope this forum has helped you.

Don't panic this is fixable. I too have such a fear of nerve blocks as usually they don't work for me. I've had 2 partial & 2 revision knee replacements & for 3 of them I refused the spinal and relied on a GA only. You can do that but be warned it's not funny afterwards as this is painful surgery. Last year I was persuaded to have a spinal but as I have a real panic issue & so could not reliably stay still I was given a GA first. The spinal only lasted an hour afterwards for me (mostly nerve blocks don't work) so make sure backup pain relief is ready for you. You should request a pre-op meeting with the anaesthetic team to register your concern and seek your solution, they get folk like us from time to time & will not be surprised.

I was more terrified of the block needles than the surgery also. Anesthesiologist gave me an anti-anxiety med just before shot. It was iver before I knew what happened!

Just kind of echoing the other reassurances. I've had 3 ortho surgeries now- both hips and my left knee 8 weeks ago. And epidural/spinal (not well enough informed what the difference is - regardless, a needle in the back). In each instance, I was given some kind of tranq a little while before going into surgery; that is a big help, just makes you relaxed with a 'What -Me worry?' driftiness. My surgeries were at 2 different hospitals, but standard procedure in both places was to have the patient sitting up, towards the end of the bed, and leaning forward. I was given a pillow to lean against…..and, in each case, a nurse stood right alongside me for physical support (AND mental, whether or not that's part of the purpose, it helps). There is a quick bit of pricking and the whoosh, you are out. And I expect you know the reasoning behind this form of anasthetic - typically no nausea, a very fast recovery time (from the anasthetic. The the surgery, enh, that takes a bit longer). I recall when you used to be in the recovery room for a couple hours. This last time, I was awake, chatting and on my way back to my room in …less than an hour? That's certainly how it seemed. And no grogginess. I felt alert - tho later recall of things stays a bit out of reach for a while. Good luck to you, you'll do grand!

I had a spinal for my first knee and I'm pretty sure they gave me some propophol right before the injection. One minute they are getting me in position, next thing I knew I was waking up from the surgery.

@Scaredofneedles, I have a pretty severe phobia of needles, plus anxiety, and panic. I was able to have a combination of Valium and Xanax prescribed by my surgeon to take before leaving my house. I remember getting to the hospital and meeting the nurses, but I do not remember the spinal at all. If your fear is severe, you can explain it to your surgeon and really impress upon him/her the severity and request medication. In my experience, surgeons are pretty agreeable about prescribing these.

I was very concerned about this also and dealt with some anxiety over the the thought of "the needle". In my experience and that of many others, the pre-op team does their best to keep the atmosphere light, you're busy getting into your party garb (as my team called it :wink:) answering standard questions and will likely have a reassuring visit with your surgeon and anesthesiologist. They can give you something for nerves and it does take the edge off. Try to remember that everyone you'll deal with that day is doing what they were trained to do and what they do best...just another day at the office for them. You all want the same outcome.

The needle - They had me sit on the edge of the bed with forearms on a pillow that was placed on a bedside table. I barely felt a slight prick and warmth instantaneously went down the length of my legs. They laid me down and next thing I recall was waking in recovery, in disbelief it was already over!

Thankfully I felt well afterward. No headache or nausea, had an appetite, even slept pretty well that night.

Wishing you all the best! When you're feeling anxious, try to focus on the brighter future you'll have without the pain of a deteriorating joint. Happy New Year!
@Scaredofneedles

My surgery is delayed till January 24th due to Covid. Just my luck

January 10 is my surgery date Right knee Total replacement. Ready to get some relief but so scared to get the spinal and blocks. Any recommendations on going through this part?
Hello! When I had my blocks, I felt nothing and didn’t even remember it being done because they put “happy juice” in my IV. My last TKR was the only joint replacement I had with a spinal and I remember nothing.

Good luck on the 24th!
Marie

Best Wishes tomorrow!
Please join us on the healing side once you're feeling up to it. Will look forward to following your recovery. :wave:
@Scaredofneedles

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom