THR Scared of getting a hip replacement

Well good luck with your upcoming appointment with Dr. Post. You meeting him in Egg Harbor or Manahawkin? I think he operates out of Egg Harbor.

I say go ahead and bring up the fungus with Dr. Post because you've gotten good reassurance here, but there is something uniquely reassuring in my experience to hear "it's fine" out of the mouth of the surgeon who is going to operate on you. Ask every question you want. You don't want anything secretly on your mind as you recover.

Definitely pay attention to that subjective sense of comfort and connection level you feel with a surgeon. Can't tell you the number of times I reassured myself in recovery (and even now) by just feeling a rock solid sense of confidence in Dr. Austin.

Good luck.

Fitness123

Hello I read your OP and I'm sorry you're having so much anxiety. I was feeling much the same way before my surgery, specially the night before. I can tell you though it's really not bad at all. Believe it or not the worst part is getting your IV line put in after that they will give you an injection in your back and it doesn't even hurt like you think it will just a slight pinch of the skin. After that you'll wake in the recovery with procedure already done and you didn't feel a thing.

Hi Everyone,
The last week and a half I have been experiencing pain that is on my tailbone and spreads down into by butt on both sides. Also, pain down the front thigh and badly into the knee of the arthritic hip. Is this all from the hip or am I having spine issues. I had an MRI of my lumbar spine in November 2019 and it was fine. The pain feels like I have no mobility in that part of my body. One more question: what does sclerosis of the hip exactly mean?

@Fitness123 hi! I am sure not a doctor so I don't know what's causing your new pains. Did you see Dr Post? What did he have to say about the pain? Once I had a surgery date, I just popped another ibuprofen and tried to ignore any pain from my shoulders to my ankles. A bad hip can cause SO much imbalance. You walk differently, so you're using muscles in unaccustomed ways.

You are only six days away from no more bone-on-bone pain! How are your preparations coming along?

@Fitness123 Sounds like pre-op pain. Your hip can refer pain to many places. And trying to stay off a sore hip causes all kinds of aches and pains. Just more proof you need to get that hip replaced.
what does sclerosis of the hip exactly mean?
It's a thickening of the bone in the hip. All part of the deterioration due to arthritis.

Hey @Fitness123
Tomorrow is your big day. I‘m guessing you’re probably feeling a bit anxious as most of us were, but surgery will soon be behind you and you’ll be on the healing side working toward a brighter future...without pain! :happydance: We’ll be there to offer support and encouragement as you begin your recovery journey. See you on the flip side soon.
Hugs and best wishes!

Blessings for a smooth, uneventful surgery with good pain control post op. You’ll probably be nervous but try to concentrate on what this will allow you to do and let the kind professionals guide you to that healing side. Looking forward to your first post from the recovery side when you’re up to it. ❤️

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. Hope to see you soon on the shiny side (recovery).

:hi: Hi @Fitness123
Hopefully by now you’re resting comfortably at home and figuring out a bit of a routine.
We’d love to hear how you’re doing as time allows. Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi everyone! Need advice. About 5 days before surgery I strained or tore still do not know, my tibialis tendon. Doc says i also have tarsal tunnel. Ankles and back of feet hurt and burn. All nerve related. what! I am so weak everywhere. I canceled surgery, so frustrated didn’t even tell surgeon. How can so get my hip done if it hurts to walk ☹️

You need to discuss this injury with your hip surgeon. They can advise if surgery is possible and what adjustment you might need to regain your mobility.

Who diagnosed your tendon strain/tear?

Rothman foot and ankle doc. I am in a brace now, but nerve pain is in both feet now

Fitness 123 I completely understand you. I got so horrified that I canceled, yes you got it, I cancelled my surgery. I was terrified. I had night sweats, palpitations till the point that I couldn't breathe. But girly I tell you, its not as bad as you think it is. My scheduled surgery was for Sept 18, 2019. I cancelled that one. It was not until God had me change surgeons only to find a #1 surgeon in South Florida a Harvard and proffesor at Harvard. My surgery was for Nov 5, 2019. It was the best experience of my life. My surgery began at 9:30am and by 10:45 am I was done. I didnt feel no more pain after that. Not even surgical pain a bit discomfort, but that was it. Now I can walk and do things I couldnt do before. My scar is so small you cant hardly tell. I have gained 22 lbs after surgery, but thank God I‘m losing it now. Well I want you to know that I‘m here for you in anything I can help you with. I also was an exercise freak. Dance ballet all my life and did weight training and boxing. I had a hip labrum tear accident taking a spinning class thats how it all started back in June 2017. Be safe. God Bless you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a good/bad experience with medrol pack 6 day 4mg. Doc prescribed that or meloxicam for inflammation??

Hello @Fitness123
Sorry to read of your accident and resulting injury.
Due to the history you shared, how you respond to any medication may be completely unique to any others experience with the same meds, therefore we caution you to research side effects and talk it over with your care provider, rather than go by another‘s experience. We wish you speedy healing and hope you’re able to reschedule your surgery soon. A great day to you!

I canceled surgery, so frustrated didn’t even tell surgeon.
Can you please clarify on this? You did call someone to indicate you would not be going ahead with the surgery didn't you? I do hope so as the current health crisis means someone on a wait list could have their surgery sooner.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks